• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Stations to Milton Keynes Central Return Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

Hi,

I am wanting an off-peak return (i.e. don't want to commit to specific trains) from Bradford Stations to Milton Keynes Central, departing on 5th April 2012. I was wondering if anyone knew of any splits I could make use of? I have a young persons railcard.

A Bradford Stations to Milton Keynes Central Off-Peak return is £60.25. I have managed to save £10.60 by splitting in the following way:
  • Bradford Stations - Manchester Stations (via Hebden Bridge) Off-Peak Return: £11.35
  • Manchester Stations - Milton Keynes Central Off-peak Return: £38.30
  • Total: £49.65

Can anyone do any better? Thanks for any input!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Try splitting at Sheffield/Derby and Tamworth/Birmingham. I think last time I looked it was approx £35ish return Bradford-Birmingham if splitting at Sheffield and Derby or just Derby.

If you travel London Midland only from Birmingham/Tamworth to MK, they have a sale starting tomorrow and Super off peak tickets could be £4.45/£4.30 return respectively. Not totally flexible but not limited to specific trains but you must buy on their website.
http://www.londonmidland.com/sale/

(However, the connections at Tamworth are usually pretty bad so would probably be wroth paying more to go via Birmingham)

Sorry - Just noticed the LM sales is for travel after 09/04 only.

Last edited:

phil35

Thanks for your response! However, I think by taking XC and LM would make my journey just a bit too long than I'd like (plus I'd rather avoid XC if possible). I was hoping to take the direct Virgin service from Manchester to Milton Keynes instead, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for the privilege of doing so - probably should have mentioned that in my original post - Just wondered if there were any further splits available on that route. Cheers.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If you don't mind taking the Manchester Victoria trains from Bradford, the following splits might work:

Please note: prices are adult fares WITHOUT railcard discounts. And make sure your trains call at Walsden in both directions.

Standard Class
£68.70
Saves £22.60 (24.8%)

BRADFORD YK STNS to WALSDEN
Outward: ANYTIME DAY S
Route ANY PERMITTED
Fare £3.70
Return: ANYTIME DAY S
Route ANY PERMITTED
Fare £3.70

WALSDEN to LEIGHTON BUZZARD
OFF-PEAK R
Fare £61.30
Route NOT VIA LONDON
Restriction (2C)
Ending short at MILTON KEYNES C

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You could always do a GC to Kings Cross then an LM (or even a Virgin) to the Keynes. Do GC still have an offer on for their West Riding route?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If you don't mind taking the Manchester Victoria trains from Bradford, the following splits might work:

Please note: prices are adult fares WITHOUT railcard discounts. And make sure your trains call at Walsden in both directions.

And note that only 1 train an hour from Bradford calls at Walsden Mon-Sat (well also true on Sunday but that's all the trains)

phil35

Thanks for the Walsden suggestion guys. To get around the fact that only 1 train per hour stops at Walsden, the exact same split for the same price exists by splitting at Todmorden instead, where 2tph stop. That saves £14 on the Bradford-MKC ticket, and still gives me total flexibility (with off-peak, railcard boundaries obviously). Good effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.