• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford to York Day Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

There are three of us (only one railcard) travelling from Bradford to York this Saturday, and then back to Bradford in the evening.

An off peak day return is £13.70 (£9.05 for me with my railcard). Is there anything I could do to make this any cheaper?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No sorry, this is a relatively short journey with no opportunities for splitting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually yes, apologies. I didn't realise you were in a group.

The full price for 1 railcard + 2 adults would normally be £36.45.

However, if you split at Leeds and go via Harrogate, the two adults can benefit from a Northern Duo ticket.

So buy 1 Bradford - York with your Railcard- £9.05
2 x Bradford - Leeds, and Leeds - York route Via Harrogate Northern Duo- £24.60

Total- £33.65 - a small saving.

calc7

Established Member
Just for completeness; whether or not the <£1 per person is worth it for an extra 45mins or so each way with much less frequent trains needs to be decided.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Noetherns website seems to contradict the fares manual on that one

northernrail.org/offers/Duo+Tickets#harrogate_leeds
I suspect the Northern website is out of date.

Before the Rte: via Harrogate fares were introduced, you could get Duo on Poppleton-Leeds, or York-Burley Park, in both cases the shortest route is via Garforth as well as being a mapped route, so you used to be able to use Duo on XC and TPE.

However not many people would have known about that, and most people doing York-Leeds simply ask for York-Leeds tickets and wouldn't have a clue that starting "short" or finishing "short" may be cheaper. I can see why Northern didn't allow Duo on York-Leeds tickets when the only routeing was Any Permitted.

However now the discount only applies to the tickets routed via Harrogate (or via Any Permitted in the case of intermediate journeys where the route is assumed to be via Harrogate).

Anvil1984

Established Member
There are Leeds to York DUOs they came in when the "VIA Harrogate" flows were introduced
Sorry was writing same time as Yorkie

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are Leeds to York DUOs they came in when the "VIA Harrogate" flows were introduced
Sorry was writing same time as Yorkie
No probs, nice to have it confirmed :)

phil35

Thanks guys. Although as someone pointed out, we'll just be taking the direct Bradford - York train due to time constraints, so the duo / route Harrogate idea is no use. Interesting idea though, I didn't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.