• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradley scores decision win over Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

Are any of you guys boxing fans? The only English boxer I heard of is Lennox Lewis.

By TIM DAHLBERG | The Associated Press – 11 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS (AP) Timothy Bradley didn't need big power to beat Manny Pacquiao after all.

Bradley won a contested split decision over Pacquiao, ending the Filipino fighter's remarkable run and handing him his first defeat in seven years. It didn't come easy and it wasn't without controversy, with the pro-Pacquiao crowd booing loudly when the decision was announced.

Pacquiao landed more punches and seemed to land the harder punches. But when the scorecards were added up, Bradley was up 115-113 on two scorecards and behind by the same margin on a third. The Associated Press had Pacquiao winning 117-111.

Pacquiao tried to turn the fight into a brawl, using his power to hurt Bradley in the early rounds. But Bradley changed tactics in the middle rounds and used his boxing skills to win enough rounds to take the narrow decision for the welterweight title.

''I thought I won the fight,'' Bradley said. ''I didn't think he was as good as everyone says he was. I didn't feel his power.''

Ringside punching statistics showed Pacquiao landing 253 punches to 159 for Bradley, who vowed before the fight to take the 147-pound title from Pacquiao.

Bradley was so confident that he had oversized tickets printed up for a Nov. 10 rematch that will now likely happen.

Bradley seemed hurt in the fourth and fifth rounds, but Pacquiao had trouble landing big punches after that. Still, he seemed in control of the fight everywhere but on the judge's scorecards.

''Can you believe that? Unbelievable,'' promoter Bob Arum said. ''I went over to Bradley before the decision and he said, 'I tried hard but I couldn't beat the guy.'''

Bradley said he hurt his ankle in the second round, and that trainer Joel Diaz said he could either quit or try to take the fight to Pacquiao.

''I did my best,'' Pacquiao said. ''I guess my best wasn't good enough.''

Pacquiao said he studied Bradley on tape before the fight and wasn't surprised by anything he did. He said he thought he was in control of the fight and was shocked when the decision went against him.

''He never hurt me with his punches, most of them landed on my arms,'' Pacquiao said.

Arum said there would be a rematch, though he criticized the judging. Arum has contracts with both fighters.

''I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch, but this was outrageous,'' Arum said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bradley-scores-decision-win-over-050647231--box.html;_ylt=At77dxyAecOeE8amuqixe4M5nYcB

This fight was clearly fixed. Boxing hasn't been interesting since Tyson retired.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The scorecards decision of 115-113, all identical, with two out of three being in favour of Bradley, would appear to show that the fight was far closer than much of the boxing press would have us believe was the case.

You say that Lennox Lewis was the only British boxer that you know, but do you realise that he holds both Canadian and British citizenship and he represented Canada at his boxing weight level in the 1988 Olympic Games where he won the gold medal by defeating Riddick Bowe of the USA in the final. Both these two fighters then turned professional and both of them have held at least one of the four accredited World Heavyweight titles in their time, but of course, both have now retired from active boxing matches as a contestant.

flymo

Established Member
My wife of 16 years is from The Philippines and, apparently, virtually the whole country came to a standstill to watch the "fight".

Riots, gunfire and sporadic violence have been reported in certain provinces but as it was a Saturday night in The Philippines nobody noticed too much....<D

I am sure the decision will enhance 'Pacman''s run for the Presidency of the Philippines in a couple of years...

NY Yankee said:
This fight was clearly fixed.
Something in boxing fixed? NEVER!!! I almost fell over. Boxing is one of THE most corrupt sports ever.....(apparently).;)

Status
Not open for further replies.