• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Braking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMSDUCHESS

Hi Everyone,
I'm slightly confused about the idea of a two piped brake. I've been on the Scotrail thread that ran away recently, and wouldn't mind if somebody could explain what is a two piped braking system. I apologise if this is the wrong thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunfanaghy Rd

If you are OK with Single Pipe Air Brake, the Two Pipe is simply the addition of a Reservoir Pipe feeding the Auxiliary Reservoirs on each vehicle directly from the locomotive / control cab. The advantage is that the Auxiliary Reservoirs are always replenished by the supply irrespective of whether or not there is a brake application. The reservoir pressure is also higher (85 - 105 psi) than Brake Pipe Pressure (72.5 psi), giving an extra reserve. Another aspect is that the Brake Pipe only has to transmit a signal to the distributor, not feed the Auxiliary Reservoir as well, which can speed up release times. I was once told that Foster Yeoman, who had twin-pipe on all their wagons, reckoned on a saving of 80 gallons of fuel between Westbury and Acton due to not powering against brakes that were not fully released. How they knew that I don't know, unless they compared with the Hanson trains when they linked up as Mendip Rail.
Pat

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Compared to the single pipe system the main advantages are greatly reduced chances of being able to use up all the air with successive heavy applications and releases of the brakes and a faster release of the brakes. It is also graduable in application and release while the single pipe was generally graduable in application only, but modern distributors no longer mean that's an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.