• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
I'm back on TS2014 after a long period out, mostly due to a lack of a compatible computer. My driving skills have gone worryingly rusty, and I need a few pointers to get back into the swing of things.

My main issue is with braking. I'm finding it hard to figure out when to start braking on a station approach. I normally enter a station at a speed of around 20 - 30 mph. Overshooting the platform isn't the issue, it's working out when I need to start. I often find I start braking far too early. Subsequently, I end up crawling into the station, adding large delay minutes to the overall journey.

How can I resolve this? I seem unable to strike a balance between braking at the right time and braking too soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
I'd say it's an experience thing. You need to know what you are driving and roughly how long it takes to stop. For example, in a 377 I know the brakes are good so I approach stations doing around 35mph unless it's a major station.

HST Power

Established Member
I'd say it's an experience thing. You need to know what you are driving and roughly how long it takes to stop. For example, in a 377 I know the brakes are good so I approach stations doing around 35mph unless it's a major station.

Thank you for the tip. I think you might be right.

Having completed several runs on the Kings Cross - Peterborough Route, my approaches have improved significantly, furthering my skills in managing the braking speed. The 321 and the 365 are relatively easy to tame.

In contrast, if you're driving a HST, there's less room for error.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Multiple units are much easier to drive than locos (though the last time I drove the 450 it braked like something that has no brakes). I tend to use the following formula for units (initial braking in step 2 except when over 90mph).....

8 car trains -> speed/100 - 0.25 = Distance from station (in miles)
4 car trains -> speed/100 - 0.20 = Distance from station (in miles)

Which should have me entering station platforms at around 30mph for 8 cars and 25mph for 4 cars. Though where in the station you want to stop will have an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.