• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Branding that sticks in your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Does anyone have any railway branding that sticks in your mind?

Mine has to be the remainder of stations around Glasgow that hang on to the "Strathclyde Transport" branding well into the 2000s, years after the brand had changed to SPT.

1617289872300.png
CAPTION: Old Strathclyde Transport branded sign at Queen's Park station in 2008.
Another one is the big orange bridge signs that adorned stations around Glasgow, which hung around well into the 2010s.
1617289931912.png
Caption: Old Strathclyde Transport branded bridge banner at Langside station in 2008.

Do any stations retain those big bridge banners or are they all gone? Just a side note, these screengrabs were taken via Google Maps with the rollback function on streetview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
^^ Alexandria still had such branding on it's eastern-most bridge in May 2017 (see 1st attached image taken via Google Maps' rollback function). Was removed later that year as the station's bridges were replaced, if I recall correctly. There may be a sign or two about the station that still to this day hangs onto Strathclyde Orange/Black branding.

As to the OP's question, the ScotRail 'swoop' and SPT 'flash' logos (most strongly associated with the National Express era personally) have both stuck in my head long after both passed into history. See the front/side of the attached images of the 320 & 303 (copyright of Railway Media and 6089Gardener of Flickr respectively) to see what I'm referring to.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 17.53.07.png 320303 320308 Dalmuir 160903g-L.jpg 16742319334_235762be27_o.jpg

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
With you on the SPT branding. During the second half of 2018 I noticed this sign at Yoker depot was still very much present and still gloriously orange where it mattered. I've linked to a Railscot photo from almost a decade earlier.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/23/523/
Also from RailScot. Still there in August 2019 (give or take a year after you saw it) and still remarkably orange despite over 32 years of bearing the brunt of Western Scotland's regularly inclement weather. A remarkable survivor indeed.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/70/320/

Taunton

Established Member
Does anyone have any railway branding that sticks in your mind?

Mine has to be the remainder of stations around Glasgow that hang on to the "Strathclyde Transport" branding well into the 2000s, years after the brand had changed to SPT.
But notably, they all also contain that ultimate piece of railway branding, the BR Double Arrow from 1965.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
^^ Alexandria still had such branding on it's eastern-most bridge in May 2017 (see 1st attached image taken via Google Maps' rollback function). Was removed later that year as the station's bridges were replaced, if I recall correctly. There may be a sign or two about the station that still to this day hangs onto Strathclyde Orange/Black branding.

As to the OP's question, the ScotRail 'swoop' and SPT 'flash' logos (most strongly associated with the National Express era personally) have both stuck in my head long after both passed into history. See the front/side of the attached images of the 320 & 303 (copyright of Railway Media and 6089Gardener of Flickr respectively) to see what I'm referring to.

View attachment 93622 View attachment 93623 View attachment 93624

The swoop is really ageless. The Scotrail saltire seems very bland in comparison to how colourful the station signage used to be.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The swoop is really ageless. The Scotrail saltire seems very bland in comparison to how colourful the station signage used to be.
I do like the Saltire livery/branding (ducks under desk!), but yeah, it tends to get a bit same-y after a while. Granted, it was the same during the SPT era, but anyways. If you were to tell me the 'Swoop' dates from the early 90s and I didn't know it dated from that time period (I seem to remember seeing photos of it on stock prior to the Nat X era, though I may be mis-remembering there), I'd be hard-pressed believing you. Looks as if it could be introduced today, it looks that fresh.

But notably, they all also contain that ultimate piece of railway branding, the BR Double Arrow from 1965.
When I think 'train' in the overall broadest sense, the Double Arrow is what instantly comes to mind. One of the few transport-related symbols that comes anywhere near close in terms of universal recognition, barring that of a steam loco silhouette, to the 'Double Arrow' is the London Transport roundel. Truly a masterstroke in graphic/logo design that ended up outliving the organization it was originally drawn up for.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I do like the Saltire livery/branding (ducks under desk!), but yeah, it tends to get a bit same-y after a while. Granted, it was the same during the SPT era, but anyways. If you were to tell me the 'Swoop' dates from the early 90s and I didn't know it dated from that time period (I seem to remember seeing photos of it on stock prior to the Nat X era, though I may be mis-remembering there), I'd be hard-pressed believing you. Looks as if it could be introduced today, it looks that fresh.
The swoosh was introduced when Chris Green returned ScotRail when shadow franchises were set up. The original incarnation used red, blue and yellow. When ScotRail was won by National Express they retained the swoosh but adopted their new house colours of purple, green and orange.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The Red Star Parcels logo (a series of four red stars on a bright yellow background with a white BR logo in the middle of the foremost red star) was quite striking when you saw it, as you didn't normally see them at most suburban stations.

Red Star.png

Strathclyder

Established Member
The swoosh was introduced when Chris Green returned ScotRail when shadow franchises were set up. The original incarnation used red, blue and yellow. When ScotRail was won by National Express they retained the swoosh but adopted their new house colours of purple, green and orange.
Cheers for that, knew I'd seen it in some shadow franchise-era photos. :) Now that I look at it more closely, the swoosh/swoop does have that Chris Green look and feel to it. Both versions have certainly aged well!

nlogax

Established Member
Also from RailScot. Still there in August 2019 (give or take a year after you saw it) and still remarkably orange despite over 32 years of bearing the brunt of Western Scotland's regularly inclement weather. A remarkable survivor indeed.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/70/320/
That's exactly a year after I saw it. Great stuff..time I took another trip out that way.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
SPT
GNER
British Rail
Virgin

They are the 4 I remember best and there are a few bits of at least 3 of those still lingering on here and there

Scotrail314209

Established Member
SPT
GNER
British Rail
Virgin

They are the 4 I remember best and there are a few bits of at least 3 of those still lingering on here and there

Im with you on Virgin. I remember being absolutely wowed when I was a toddler after seeing my first shiny Pendolino.

For me it was the APT livery which was then adopted by Intercity. I remember first seeing it on a First class Mk 3 near the buffers at Euston. Being the only coach in a rake of otherwise BR blue and grey, it really stood out in fresh paint and couldn’t look more stunning

For me. Its Network Southeast. So much rolling stock painted (it took until 2006 to remove it from the final networker), still can be found at certain stations/buildings etc if you know where to look.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Im with you on Virgin. I remember being absolutely wowed when I was a toddler after seeing my first shiny Pendolino.
Definitely, I suspect one of the highest levels of brand awareness and better remembered brands.

Even now I suspect the general public are still more aware of Virgin than Avanti.

For me it was the APT livery which was then adopted by Intercity. I remember first seeing it on a First class Mk 3 near the buffers at Euston. Being the only coach in a rake of otherwise BR blue and grey, it really stood out in fresh paint and couldn’t look more stunning
I would agree with the term 'InterCity' more than the livery personally

Strathclyder

Established Member
On the subject of Virgin, I overall prefer the livery they applied to the ex-BR stock they inherited to any of the liveries that followed, though I suspect I'm in something of a minority there. Saying that, I was rather partial to the 'Pretendolino'. Again, may be in a minority there.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Scotrail’s “training beats coaching” slogan, from distant memory it was on the wall at Queen Street by platform 7. I remember my dad thinking it was very clever

Logan Carroll

Do any stations retain those big bridge banners or are they all gone?
Williamwood still had it as of last summer so i’d assume it’s still there.
With you on the SPT branding. During the second half of 2018 I noticed this sign at Yoker depot was still very much present and still gloriously orange where it mattered. I've linked to a Railscot photo from almost a decade earlier.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/23/523/
Yeah that’s almost a local railway landmark, it even makes it’s way into train sim recreations of the area.

But to thread subject i’m of the generation to forever associate trains with SPT Carmine and Cream.

I have absolutely no memories of the SPT Rail brand and remembered being quite bewildered when i seen it in a picture when i first got into trains. I do have very vivid memories of reading the text under the 1996 logo on the ticket office sign at my local station, and reading the name also on a departing Class 334.

Tracked

Established Member
The Red Star Parcels logo (a series of four red stars on a bright yellow background with a white BR logo in the middle of the foremost red star) was quite striking when you saw it, as you didn't normally see them at most suburban stations.

View attachment 93666
Can remember seeing this at Lincoln up until fairly recently (haven't been since late 2019, think it's gone now), certainly within the last 10 years

route101

Established Member
Williamwood still has the Strathclyde Branding on one side. I may check this week, ten minutes down the road but in a different local authority.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
For me. Its Network Southeast. So much rolling stock painted (it took until 2006 to remove it from the final networker), still can be found at certain stations/buildings etc if you know where to look.

Absolutely- me too. Chris Green at his finest iirc.

Taunton

Established Member
Scotrail’s “training beats coaching” slogan, from distant memory it was on the wall at Queen Street by platform 7. I remember my dad thinking it was very clever
Pinched from Amtrak : "America's Getting Into Training".

BayPaul

Established Member
It still seems like more people in the South West refer to XC services as Virgin than Cross Country, and are surprised when you correct them. A very impressive piece of branding to still be referred to 14 years after the end of a 10 year franchise.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The Network SouthEast route branding always sticks in my mind as a very pleasant way of giving routes some local identity.

Can remember seeing this at Lincoln up until fairly recently (haven't been since late 2019, think it's gone now), certainly within the last 10 years
Brighton still has Red Star branding on the sign jutting out onto Terminus Road. It's a hardy survivor.

route101

Established Member
It still seems like more people in the South West refer to XC services as Virgin than Cross Country, and are surprised when you correct them. A very impressive piece of branding to still be referred to 14 years after the end of a 10 year franchise.
I hear LNER being referred to as Virgin on a number of times. Quite a few people here in Glasgow think TPE services are run by Scotrail.

Status
Not open for further replies.