• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey at stations which would be more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
I am planning to travel on next Saturday with a Off Peak Day Return ticket,
I am planning to go a place called B, and notice a fare bug here

A>B Day Return: £X
A>B>C Day Return: £X+1
0>A>B>C Day Return: £X+2.5
0>A>B>C>D Day Return: £X-2

Given that 0>D has a direct route but possible to go via C, but on Permitted Route map, that "big-detour" is permitted and confirmed by Journey Planner

Would it be possible for me to buy a 0>D Day Return for travel from A to B, and even C?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Allowed provided there is no restriction on the ticket barring it, but you may find you get arguments from staff if they know about it being used as a loophole.

hkstudent

Established Member
Allowed provided there is no restriction on the ticket barring it, but you may find you get arguments from staff if they know about it being used as a loophole.
Thanks.
Point B is unstaffed so it's most likely argument-free.

And,
Even even more strange is that:
0>D is £0.6 less than 0>D-1 (closer to 0), what a fare issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't do algebra ;)

If the ticket is valid for break of journey at the relevant station, then that's all that matters.

I don't agree that this is necessarily a "bug" either; for example SWR intentionally price Clapham Junction to Bournemouth at a higher price than the cost of Brighton to Bournemouth via Clapham Junction; they know most people are prepared to pay more.

This concept of market based pricing is not unique to railways, though the framework around the pricing of tickets and the acceptance of tickets on all relevant operators is unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.