• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

break of journey: Durham, Hitchin, London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going South

Just a quick query. If I am travelling on the return portion of a Super off peak return London - Durham with YP railcard, can I break my journey at Hitchin (i.e. get off at Peterborough and change or even Stevenage and double back)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes you can break your journey on the return portion of a super off peak return.

Although its my patch so to speak, I am not sure about the doubling back. Most East Coasts that call at Steveage are ex Leeds anyway, so I would have thought it would have been easier to just change at Peterborough.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can't double back to Hitchin, you would need to change at Peterborough.

(However if you had a Durham - Cambridge or similar ticket, then you could double back between Stevenage & Hitchin, even just doing Arlesey to Letchworth is valid via Stevenage)

John @ home

Established Member
can I break my journey at Hitchin (i.e. get off at Peterborough and change or even Stevenage and double back)?
The point on Break of Journey is accurately covered by 91101.

But my opinion is that you are perfectly entitled to double back between Stevenage and Hitchin. Stevenage and Hitchin are both members of Stevenage Group.
National Routeing Guide - Group Stations said:
The Routeing Guide Instructions show that doubling back is allowed between the members of an intermediate Group.
National Routeing Guide - Instructions said:
GROUP STATIONS
Some stations are grouped together to improve interchange between trains by offering customers access to a wider choice of train services and station facilities. A customer may travel via any station in such a group, including doubling back, provided that the group is on one of the permitted routes between their origin and destination stations. This extended availability is for interchange purposes only and does not apply where the origin or destination stations are part of a group.

Status
Not open for further replies.