• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey: France

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmilton

I think this have been asked before, but I can't find the thread.

As I understand it you may break your journey as often as you wish on a standard full-fare (non-Prems/non-TGV) French ticket, as long as the journey is completed within a reasonable period of time from validation/compostage ... six hours for shorter journeys, if I recall correctly; twelve for longer ones.

Could someone confirm this for me? I'm planning a visit to the Chateaux of the Loire by train, and hope to be able to get on and off at will rather than buy a lot of short-distance tickets.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
3.3 Délai d’utilisation des titres de transport
Le trajet doit être terminé dans les 24 heures qui suivent le compostage ou, dans le cas d’un
E-billet ou d’un Billet Imprimé, dans les 24 heures suivant la date et l’heure de départ du train.
En cas d’arrêt en cours de trajet supérieur à 24 heures, ou si la multiplication des arrêts
conduit à dépasser l’heure limite d’utilisation du titre de transport, le trajet est scindé en
autant de trajets que nécessaire conduisant à l’émission de titres de transport distincts et
susceptibles de donner lieu à majoration.
(Dispositions Générales TER - TER Terms and Conditions)

Rough translation:
3.3 Time limit for tickets
The journey must be completed without the 24 hours which follow the validation or, in the case of an E-ticket or print at home ticket, within the 24 hours following the date and departure time of the train. In the case of a break of journey greater than 24 hours or several breaks of journey which would cause the 24 hour limit to be reached, the journey must be split into as many journeys as necessary, meaning that several separate tickets are sold which is likely to increase the total sum payable (majoration - increase (in price)).

Link: http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/..._2011_Dispositions_générales_tcm-24-34716.pdf

This is from the section of the terms and conditions relating to tickets which are not bound to a specific train.

I can't see anything about a 6 hour time limit anywhere.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
There is a 6/24 hour time limit in Italy depending on the length of journey.

Trenitalia:

Biglietti
Validità
Di regola, i biglietti scadono due mesi dopo la data di emissione, tranne i biglietti a fasce chilometriche che non hanno alcuna scadenza e i biglietti acquistati e stampati on-line, che possono essere acquistati con un anticipo di 7 giorni sulla data di partenza.

La convalida e la durata
Di regola, la validità oraria del biglietto decorre dal momento della convalida mediante le macchinette obliteratrici di stazione. Il viaggio deve concludersi entro 24 ore dall’ora della convalida (in Trentino entro le ore 24.00 del giorno di emissione). Per percorrenze fino a 200 Km il viaggio deve essere terminato entro 6 ore dall’ora della convalida (in Lombardia entro 3 ore, per percorrenze fino a 50 Km).
Rough translation:
Tickets
Validity
Generally tickets lose their validity two months after sale, except tickets sold by the kilometre which do not have any "end of validity" date and tickets bought and printed out on line which can be bought 7 days before the departure date.

Validation and duration [of validity]
Generally the time limit of a ticket runs from the moment of validation by the relevant machines at stations. The journey must be completed within 24 hours of the validation (in Trentino before 24.00 on the date of sale). For journeys up to and including 200 km the journey must be completed within 6 hours of the validation time (in Lombardia within 3 hours for journeys up to and including 50
km).

There aren't any more countries you want to know about perhaps?

radamfi

Established Member
Train tickets in Italy state the validity period on them.

For example VALE 6H DA CONVALIDA is printed on my ticket from Prato Centrale to Firenze (17 km)

Interestingly, the Leonardo Express to Rome Airport says VALE 90M DA CONVALIDA even though it is twice as far as the journey above, and costs a premium fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.