• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey - Off-Peak Day Single with code B3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hello, I realise this is a bit of a basic question but I can't actually find a clear answer.

I'm planning to travel from Horden to Billingham tomorrow, but have noticed the weather forecast is absolutely lovely and so would like to walk from Hartlepool to Seaton Carew along the coast. I've looked up the fare, and off-peak day single have found this on BRFares. This has restriction code B3, which does not mention break of journey at all, and so I can't tell if it's permitted or not - I wouldn't like to assume either way. If permitted, is this likely to be accepted without question or might I have an argument on my hands?

Again, sorry for the simple question, and thanks for your time in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Break of journey with these tickets / this restriction is absolutely fine. You shouldn’t have any problems but, sometimes, staff don’t get the rules right.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Break of journey with these tickets / this restriction is absolutely fine. You shouldn’t have any problems but, sometimes, staff don’t get the rules right.

That's what I thought - but since I couldn't find it explicitly said, I thought I'd better check.

Hopefully the staff I encounter tomorrow will get the rules right - my main worry is if they mark my ticket and then this causes an argument on the Seaton Carew - Billingham section of my journey.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
This has restriction code B3, which does not mention break of journey at all, and so I can't tell if it's permitted or not
The general principle is if a restriction is not mentioned, it doesn't exist. Fares are assumed to be valid with no restrictions (within the period of validity) unless otherwise mentioned. E.g. Anytime fares which are valid at any time don't have a restriction code, so no restrictions apply. BR Fares will tell you if there is a break of journey restriction anywhere. It errs on the side of caution and will tell you even if this restriction exists only in non-public-facing data. So if no break of journey restriction is mentioned on BR Fares, you can be confident that there is none!

Status
Not open for further replies.