• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey on London-Birmingham ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is break of journey permitted on the outward portion of a London-Birmingham route:any permitted saver return? I ask since I broke my journey at Oxford with the outbound yesterday, which was rejected by the barriers but accepted by the gate attendants (both of whom appeared to actually pay attention to the ticket). Returning today, the return opened the gates at Oxford no problem...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mathmo

One of the few benefits of simplification was that almost all non-advance tickets became valid for break of journey in both directions. Savers used to only be valid for breaks on the return portion so it sounds like the barriers are still programmed for the old restrictions.

clagmonster

Established Member
Indeed, in this case the restriction code (9I) does not prohibit break of journey in either direction.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the info. I hadn't realised the change - always seemed a bit strange that day returns were breakable (?) both ways whilst savers sometimes were but usually weren't. Nice that something did get simpler!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even if BOJ wasn't permitted, they have to let you through the barriers to use station facilities.

krus_aragon

Established Member
All(?) of Arriva Wales regulated Saver Returns carry restriction code 8A:

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

Break of journey is not
permitted except to change
trains at an intermediate
station or to access station
facilities.

RETURN TRAVEL
Valid on any train.