• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey on Super Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYS

Hello all. I've asked the firstcc twitter feed but strangely it doesn't seem to be active today, so I'm hoping you guys can help with this query. I just need to know, am I allowed to make a break of journey at Potters Bar on a Royston to London Terminals Super off peak single for travel today? I've searched around for the answer the best I can, but the National Rail website basically just says "it depends - phone this expensive phone number to check".

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NRCoC said:
16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations
You may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return
ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the ticket you hold is valid for the trains you
want to use. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return
ticket) before the destination shown on the ticket. However, these rights may not apply to
some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the relevant
Train Companies will make this clear in their notices and other publications
If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at an intermediate station
when you are not entitled to do so, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. This excess
fare will be the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of
the lowest priced ticket(s) available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to
start, break and resume, or end your journey at that station on the service(s) you have
used.
A ticket which entitles you to travel on the London Underground and/or
Docklands Light Railway does not entitle you to break and resume your journey at any of
the stations on these networks unless it is a Season Ticket or a Travelcard.

For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your
journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start
your journey other than:

(i) to join a train at another station, or

(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably

complete your journey within one day, or

(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff.
Is it "made clear" that BOJ is not permitted? If the answer is "no", then according to the Conditions of Carriage, you can break your journey.

However, to find out what the exact rules are for a specific flow, the restriction text needs to be looked up and National Rail Enquiries, or any station, should be able to look this up on request.

The restriction text for a Royston to London Terminals Super Off Peak Single ticket is as follows:

NFM10 said:
CBB - SUPER OFFPEAK S FCC
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 13.90 = £ 13.90

Restriction : FB
OUTWARD TRAVEL

Travel is permitted on any
train at any time on Saturday,
Sunday & Bank Holidays.

RETURN TRAVEL

Return travel is permitted on
any train at any time
Saturday, Sunday & Bank
Holidays.
So, yes you can.

Note that you do not need to look this up for Anytime tickets, as Anytime tickets always permit break of journey. (Source: National Rail Enquiries). Also the return portion of Off Peak Returns, also always permit break of journey (Source: The Manual). (Any small print that denies BOJ on any ticket in the Anytime category, or on the return portion of Off Peak tickets, is unenforceable IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.