• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Hey guys, bought an off peak return today from St. Neots to Epsom. I was intending to come back thursday direct, however I have the chance to stop off tomorrow night in Hatfield. Am I right in thinking this ticket allows me to BoJ overnight? As long as I begin my journey on or after the date it becomes valid, and then return to St. Neots before said ticket expires of course, which is in a months time.

Thanks guys :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

General Zod

St,. Neots - Epsom Off Peak Return (SVR) Restriction Code 5M

A break of journey is allowed on the outward portion unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's Restriction Code and is allowed on the return portion of your ticket

Restriction Code 5M :

Restriction Applies: Monday to Friday only.
No travel restrictions on other days.

Outward Travel

Valid on the train shown and all later services
St Neots 09:08

Return Travel

By any train scheduled to depart at or after 09:30

You should be fine.

I think I can recall someone posting on the forums after getting into trouble with FCC Revenue Protection when trying to board a FCC train which was about to leave Kings Cross during the "rush hour." The ticket was from south of London ( Surrey / Sussex / Kent) to a station in FCC land and the restriction did allow the journey to be undertaken during the rush hour from Kings Cross. The RPI disagreed and problems ensued. Someone more knowledgeable may want to expand on this and offer sounder advice as I cannot remember the full story.

John @ home

Established Member
bought an off peak return today from St. Neots to Epsom. ... Am I right in thinking this ticket allows me to BoJ overnight?
Yes. The £30.20 Off-Peak Return St Neots - Epsom route ✠ Any Permitted has validity code 5M, which does not restrict break of journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also, the return portion of an Off Peak Return always allows break of journey. (Source: The Manual)

There is no evening restriction on this ticket. If an RPI suggests otherwise, ask them to look up the restriction (5M - valid any time after 0930 on the rtn portion, as linked to above), and if they still refuse gather evidence for a letter of complaint.

NSE

Established Member
Excellent, thanks for the help I appreciate it :)

MarkyMarkD

I think I can recall someone posting on the forums after getting into trouble with FCC Revenue Protection when trying to board a FCC train which was about to leave Kings Cross during the "rush hour." The ticket was from south of London ( Surrey / Sussex / Kent) to a station in FCC land and the restriction did allow the journey to be undertaken during the rush hour from Kings Cross. The RPI disagreed and problems ensued. Someone more knowledgeable may want to expand on this and offer sounder advice as I cannot remember the full story.
I can see why this happens. FCC set some fares which have standard "Southeastern" offpeak restrictions (C4) from "their" stations to Southeastern stations, e.g. St Albans Central to Paddock Wood SAC-PDW. This allows travel northbound from London in the evening peak.

But the equivalent ticket to London Terminals has an FCC offpeak restriction (TN) which does NOT permit travel northbound from London in the evening peak.

It's interesting, because the Paddock Wood tickets works out cheaper if you travel after the morning peak, but return in the evening peak, because you can buy a CDR SAC-PDW (£21.20) rather than an SDR SAC-U12 (£22.90)

There is a similar situation at Liverpool Street where there are large (incorrect) signs telling intending passengers that "offpeak tickets are not valid between xxxx and xxxx" (in the evening peak), which is only true on CERTAIN ticket types and very few through London tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.