• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break Of Journey Using Smartcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua_Harman

Recently I travelled from Southampton Central To
Eastleigh Using a ticket
Loaded onto my ITSO Smartcard and I Exited the train at
Southampton Airport Parkway and touched the card out using the
smartcard validator and the validator on the platform rejected
and came up with an error message Saying "No Valid Ticket"

When I completed my journey at Eastleigh and touched out I got
The Usual "Journey Completed, Touch Out Sucsess" Message with green
lights,and so I presume that the touch card system (I presume the same will happen with
all ITSO Smartcards) is only programmed for the specified amount of validations
(2 For A Single Ticket, 4 For A Return Ticket)

Is a break of journey permitted with a smartcard? has anyone else had
this issue? What would happen at a gated station?

Next Time I travel to work ill see if I can try it again and see if The error message comes up with a specific code.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Recently I travelled from Southampton Central To
Eastleigh Using a ticket
Loaded onto my ITSO Smartcard and I Exited the train at
Southampton Airport Parkway and touched the card out using the
smartcard validator and the validator on the platform rejected
and came up with an error message Saying "No Valid Ticket"

When I completed my journey at Eastleigh and touched out I got
The Usual "Journey Completed, Touch Out Sucsess" Message with green
lights,and so I presume that the touch card system (I presume the same will happen with
all ITSO Smartcards) is only programmed for the specified amount of validations
(2 For A Single Ticket, 4 For A Return Ticket)

Is a break of journey permitted with a smartcard? has anyone else had
this issue? What would happen at a gated station?

Next Time I travel to work ill see if I can try it again and see if The error message comes up with a specific code.
Break of journey is determined by the ticket, not the medium on which the ticket is carried. I expect you will be absolutely fine. The issue is with gate coding, not smart cards themselves (ie the same issue could happen with a paper ticket).

Joshua_Harman

Break of journey is determined by the ticket, not the medium on which the ticket is carried. I expect you will be absolutely fine. The issue is with gate coding, not smart cards themselves (ie the same issue could happen with a paper ticket).

I'm pretty sure I was allowed to break my journey at that point, it was a normal Super Off Peak Return from Southampton To Eastleigh, On the outbound Journey I Wouldn't be able to try it with a paper ticket as this happened with a freestanding "We Trust You" Validator

At some point I'll have to try it with a break of journey at a gated station with actual entry gates not just an un-manned station in the middle of nowhere like this,

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_141537.jpg
    IMG_20210202_141537.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
For a break of journey using SWR's smartcard there's no need to touch for break of journey at stations that don't have barriers. Generally speaking it's hit and miss as to whether it actually works at the gate but gatestaff don't know how to deal with/check smartcards so just wave you through.

Super off peak tickets may be flagged as invalid by those readers from experience but will still be marked as validated where applicable.

Joshua_Harman

For a break of journey using SWR's smartcard there's no need to touch for break of journey at stations that don't have barriers. Generally speaking it's hit and miss as to whether it actually works at the gate but gatestaff don't know how to deal with/check smartcards so just wave you through.

Super off peak tickets may be flagged as invalid by those readers from experience but will still be marked as validated where applicable.
I've Been Waved Through Many Times, I Always Keep The Receipt For The Purchase Tho, Even Tho It Dosent Have All The Details Of The Ticket It Has Served Me Useful Before When Being Questioned About The Ticket On My Smartcard

Attachments

• 145259423_422999339125435_7577235107505851356_n.jpg
    145259423_422999339125435_7577235107505851356_n.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 61

riceuten

Both FCC and GTR really struggled with this concept. Numerous gateline staff have told me - even recently - that "break of journey is not allowed"...for a season ticket. That's kind of the whole point with season tickets, but, hey ? Both Smartcards and paper tickets were regularly rejected when I used to break a journey to Huntingdon and St Neots, and inevitably, I would get stuck behind some scratter who had jumped the gates at Biggleswade and was being fined. All because the gates wouldn't recognise the tickets.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The issus is (was) with the logic on Cubic gates. A recent update should have fixed it though. Our S&B gates don't suffer the same problem.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's kind of the whole point with season tickets, but, hey ?
I think very few people would consider break of journey to be “the whole point of season tickets”, given that it also applies to the majority of single/return tickets as well.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Forget break of journey, it would be useful if the gates at King's Cross could be correctly programmed to recognise that the return portion of Off Peak Day Returns/Day Travelcards between Stevenage and London are valid in the evening peak. E-tickets work ok but not paper ones.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Forget break of journey, it would be useful if the gates at King's Cross could be correctly programmed to recognise that the return portion of Off Peak Day Returns/Day Travelcards between Stevenage and London are valid in the evening peak. E-tickets work ok but not paper ones.
I’m afraid that’s a limitation of the Cubic gate logic that we cannot resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.