• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes unplanned visit, break in journey.
In that case I can definitely see them asking for the difference between your Advance ticket fare and the Anytime Single (depending on what time you left London) as it does appear that you gained a financial advantage by stopping short (since effectively you were travelling home).

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Yes unplanned visit, break in journey.

Break of journey is not permitted on Advances, so as harsh as it is, Virgin East Coast were within their rights to ask you to pay the difference up to a fare that allows break of journey.

ozni

Yes I accept that. Bloke wasn't nasty or anything. More annoyed with myself. I'll let you know when Virgin get in touch.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Yes I accept that. Bloke wasn't nasty or anything. More annoyed with myself. I'll let you know when Virgin get in touch.

Can I just ask, what was this thread meant to achieve? I might be being a bit dim but all I see is a fairly straightforward stopping short on an Advance?

furlong

Established Member
But the question remains, how did you not know this or did the company that sold the ticket fail to fulfil its obligations (under the contract and/or under consumer law) at the time of purchase? (Or were you not listening/reading obvious information?)

Last edited:

Mainline421

Second post as first one failed!
Traveling KX to Edinburgh on Advance single ticket. Due to a change of plans broke journey at Newcastle where I was collared by a Virgin train guard for "traveling short". Took my name and addres. He spoke to me as I made my way to the metro with my Nexus travelcard in hand. (Live in Sunderland). Googled what he said and ended up here. Is this going to be messey and expensive? Why was he watching me? Of all the dozens of passengers who got off the train? My ticket was last checked outside of York. What a week.

Oz

Traveling short on advance tickets IS now allowed under the new conditions of travel from 1 October, and so I advise you write to VTEC quoting condition 16.4 if this occurred since then.

Clip

Established Member
But the question remains, how did you not know this or did the company that sold the ticket fail to fulfil its obligations (under the contract and/or under consumer law) at the time of purchase? (Or were you not listening/reading obvious information?)

Oh im pretty sure the OP knew what they were doing - I mean why else would you even think of looking for journeys to Edinburgh when you were only going to Newcastle.

Seems to me like the OP tried to play the game and got caught doing so. 3 pages of interaction doesnt change this.

furlong

Established Member
Traveling short on advance tickets IS now allowed under the new conditions of travel from 1 October

That is a matter of legal interpretation, and I think there are viable arguments to be tested on both sides of the debate, as we were discussing higher up this thread.

Mainline421

Debatable. Read 16.1 as quoted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a matter of legal interpretation, and I think there are viable arguments to be tested on both sides of the debate, as we were discussing higher up this thread.

Sorry I missed the earlier posts on this subject, but I don't think that an an 'ordinary' ticket can be defined solely as anytime tickets these days as they only make up around 10% of tickets purchased on long distance routes. I originally read 16.1 as excluding tickets such as Megatrain and short term special offers ('promotional Tickets').

najaB

Veteran Member
I originally read 16.1 as excluding tickets such as Megatrain and short term special offers ('promotional Tickets').
Yes, but it also lists "discount" tickets. Does that include Advance tickets since they offer discounted travel?

boxy321

I don't count an advance as a discount (eg. limited time special offer) or promotional (eg. free) ticket. However, it says especially these types.

What is clear is in VTEC's conditions that you can't get off early (probably since the advance to Newcastle could in theory cost more than to Edinburgh on occasions). So, they've put a blanket ban on booking advances to the far end of the UK to get a reduced price and jumping off half way there.

There's probably some legal stuff on how they get their revenue depending on destination too which explains these crazy situations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, but it also lists "discount" tickets. Does that include Advance tickets since they offer discounted travel?

That is how I see it. It'll have to be tested in Court - the clarifying "this is what we've changed" document ATOC provided and was posted on the other thread on this subject doesn't I think mention this change, so odds on it wasn't actually intended to change anything.

To me "Ordinary" would be interpreted as "Anytime" and possibly "Off Peak" - i.e. walk-up non-special-offer tickets.

furlong

Established Member
I doubt anyone could argue successfully that Advances are not "ordinary":

Belonging to the regular or usual order or course of things; ...occurring in the course of regular custom or practice; normal; customary; usual.

greatkingrat

Established Member
If you say an advance ticket is discounted, then presumably an Off Peak Return is also discounted because it costs less than the corresponding Anytime Return.

Clip

Established Member
If you say an advance ticket is discounted, then presumably an Off Peak Return is also discounted because it costs less than the corresponding Anytime Return.

I wouldnt say so as you can still use certain off peak tickets during the peak time so just because the price is cheaper does not automatically mean it is priced at a discount to the anytime fare. By that logic a standard class ticket must be discounted as it is less than the price of a 1st class ticket(yes yes yes I know).

However you could class 'ordinary' as a walk up ticket and then everything else as discounted.

miami

Established Member
I suspect that being able to end short on the outbound of some off-peak returns would cause all sorts of grumbles from Virgin with the off-peak ticket time restrictions on trains from London to Wales or Lancaster and north being far less restrictive than those to Chester and Preston and points south.

However one thing is certain, Anytime tickets are not ordinary -- as only 2% of people use anytime tickets.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Anytime Returns are also often discounted, compared to buying two Anytime Singles... <D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect that being able to end short on the outbound of some off-peak returns would cause all sorts of grumbles from Virgin with the off-peak ticket time restrictions on trains from London to Wales or Lancaster and north being far less restrictive than those to Chester and Preston and points south.

However one thing is certain, Anytime tickets are not ordinary -- as only 2% of people use anytime tickets.

They are however, or were, Ordinary. They are the direct descendent of the Ordinary Single and Return of days of yore.

OTOH, they should have specified what they meant.

Funnily enough, if you Google you do still see people using that term for a period return.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They are however, or were, Ordinary. They are the direct descendent of the Ordinary Single and Return of days of yore.

OTOH, they should have specified what they meant.

Funnily enough, if you Google you do still see people using that term for a period return.
I'd never heard of it myself. The term Ordinary. Perhaps I'm too young

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.