• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking journey on a travelcard outside the London zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii2468

Is any breaking journey(s) outside the London zones 1-6 allowed with a day travel card?

For example, a Windsor - London zone 1-6 day travelcard breaking in or out bound journeys at Staines.

I bought a Windsor & Eton Central - London 1-6 off-peak travel card yesterday and used it on the SWR from London Waterloo to Staines. I did enquire a ticket officer that how much extra did I have to pay for such a trip at Waterloo prior to my travel but I was confirmed that no extra was needed.

However, according to the SWR website no such breaks outside the London zones were allowed so I expected an extra ticket between Feltham and Staines.

I couldn't verify it at Staines as all the ticket barriers were open when I arrived.

What's your opinions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
There is no break of journey restriction on this ticket. You were prefectly fine to break the journey at Staines.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no break of journey restriction but the ticket is not valid via Windsor & Eton Riverside AFAIK.

greatkingrat

Established Member
So what do you think is the shortest route from Windsor & Eton Central to Feltham?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Permitted to start with a walk? Didn't we have exactly this thread a couple of days ago? IMHO, more could be done between FGW and SWT to clear this up once and for all.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Permitted to start with a walk? Didn't we have exactly this thread a couple of days ago? IMHO, more could be done between FGW and SWT to clear this up once and for all.

They kind of are...SWT price Travelcard extensions to certain FGW stations with a route of "via Windsor" for example. Naturally, they're at a premium compared to the more "direct" route.

fandroid

Established Member
A glance at the Routing Guide (admittedly not the latest one) shows that both Slough and Staines are Routing Points for both Windsor stations. Presumably that means that a ticket from one is valid to/from the other. That would be entirely logical. After all, they were both part of BR for over 40 years! BR fares shows only Any Permitted tickets, so no restricted routes (from here in Basingstoke, the default Travelcard is a 'Via Woking' one. An Any Permitted one also allows me to travel via Reading for a princely 10p extra!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Presumably that means that a ticket from one is valid to/from the other.

That is not true.

Of course as yorkie already mentioned the sensible solution is to have a Windsor Stations station group but we don't have that at the moment.

The whole ticketing situation at Windsor & Eton stations is a mess.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You're not the only one FenMan!

It would be so much simpler to have a Windsor stations group!

hawaii2468

This is the condition of a travel card from SWT website, what does the break of journey not applicable mean?

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 38

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No restriction, as any restriction on break of journey would be clearly indicated.

XCO

Silly question perhaps, bit I am travelling from Oxford to Windsor and Eton Riverside on a day return, and have booked a via Staines routing as I need to collect luggage on the inbound.

Given it is a gated station, how does the physical break of journey work? Can I use the barriers at Staines to exit and enter? Are the gates smart enough to realise that a break a journey is permitted? Or will they eat my ticket on the inbound, thinking that I am 'stopping short'?

Or do I just explain to the barrier staff that I would like to break my journey?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ticket gates should open and return your ticket to you.

If that doesn't happen, there will either be staff available to assist you, simply inform them you are breaking your journey, or if there are no gateline staff on duty, then the ticket gates will be left open.

FirstGroup employ gateline staff who are required to be "smart, friendly, approachable, helpful and enjoy engaging with [their] customers" so, in theory* at least, the staff will be happy to let you exit, and re-enter at Slough.

* Unfortunately the gateline staff encountered by ollyrogers, bnm and others at Paddington, bb21 at Maidenhead, Indigo2 and many others captured on TV at Reading, and myself at Slough, and several other examples, didn't appear to quite meet this criteria, so maybe the reality might not be quite be the same as the theory...

Veteran Member
A glance at the Routing Guide (admittedly not the latest one) shows that both Slough and Staines are Routing Points for both Windsor stations. Presumably that means that a ticket from one is valid to/from the other. That would be entirely logical. After all, they were both part of BR for over 40 years!

A distant memory has resurfaced, followed by a 1991 NFM, both of which say there were separate London fares for each route and Padd - Central was rather cheaper. So it's a problem inherited from BR (or even GWR/SR?) days.

Status
Not open for further replies.