• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking journeys on an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi all,

I plan to travel to Birmingham with Virgin Trains. I would love to go on a Pendolino, but also to try out the new Voyager first class. Changing at Coventry will achieve this, and I can get a cheap ticket with Super Off Peak. However, I don't like Standard class, so if I get a first class upgrade from Euston to Birmingham on the first train, will it be valid on the second? Oh, and at Euston and Birmingham lounges?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
Has the Voyager first class been given a refresh? I haven't been on a Voyager in First since February, has there been any chances since then?

roversfan2001

Established Member
Voyager first class has had leather seats for a while now. I'm not sure myself as usually I've had to buy on board (ticket offices aren't a fan of selling them in advance IME). VTWC Twitter are usually helpful, might be worth shooting them a Tweet asking.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd have no hesitation breaking my journey whilst using a Weekend First, provided the original ticket allowed it.

A general rule of thumb is that BoJ is permitted unless expressly forbidden, ie by a restriction code printed on the ticket or publicly available T&C of a promotional fare/Advance.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I would not bother tweeting them if I were you!

Unless it's forbidden somewhere then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to break your journey. SN Super Off-Peak tickets do not carry a break of journey restriction.

Be aware that you may only depart London Euston between 1030 and 1640 or after 1830 at weekends.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While it isn't in the NRCoT any more, changing trains without leaving the station is not traditionally considered to be break of journey, in any case. Changing trains is definitely allowed on Weekend First on VT, I have done it many times. I've even I think done it with a gap (Lancaster to MKC via Manchester issued as a through Weekend First supplement despite the Northern/TPE "gap" in the middle).

I don't *think*, but may be wrong, that Weekend First gives lounge access. (this was not correct, it does).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Weekend First certainly does give lounge access. The policy is that weekend first can be bought in advance from ticket offices if using a walk-up ticket, and online or on the train only if using an Advance.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The restriction code clearly states that the upgrade is only

“Valid only on the train on/for
which it was purchased“

Which means that while you can break your journey using the *ticket*, the upgrade “dies” once you leave the train at Coventry.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

which it was purchased“

Which means that while you can break your journey using the *ticket*, the upgrade “dies” once you leave the train at Coventry.

This maybe what the rules say but not how it actually works in my experience.

I regularly travel home from London to North Wales on a Sunday morning.

I board a virgin train at Euston with my ticket to North Wales, buy a weekend upgrade and travel as far as Crewe where I have to change and board another Virgin to North Wales.
The weekend upgrade I am issued says from London to Llandudno Junction and I have never had issues having had to change at Crewe.

So I would disagree the upgrade "dies" when you change trains .

roversfan2001

Established Member
Considering there are upgrades available for Shrewsbury to Crewe (for example, there are other cases) valid only on VTWC, changing trains must surely be allowed on upgrades.

Veteran Member
Virgin Voyager not XC!
Sorry, didnt realise.

The posts by Y Draig Coch and roversfan2001 show that you can use connecting trains, but not that you can break your journey. Still, no harm in asking on the day, I suppose.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sorry, didnt realise.

The posts by Y Draig Coch and roversfan2001 show that you can use connecting trains, but not that you can break your journey. Still, no harm in asking on the day, I suppose.

They do in practice, as long as you're prepared to ignore the restriction code - not something I recommend for a hassle-free life!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

which it was purchased“

Which is slightly bizarre, because they are not generally done on a "per train" basis, they are in practice sold as through tickets where a change is needed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I have a feeling the restriction code won't actually be printed on the ticket anyway - mine never have had it. Thus it's not really clear it applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.