• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking News: Midlands Rail Arson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

From Birmingham Evening Mail:

Could this be the rail arsonist?

Is this the saboteur who has wreaked havoc on the Midland Railway Network and brought mistery to thousands of commuters?

Apparently a cyclist was on the track between Birmingham and Leicester, bent down at a set of points as a train approached. The driver made an emergency stop, and the guard caught the man on camera as he ran off, threw his bike over a fence and cycled away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

Indeed, and this wasn't some kid, this was a middle-aged man. This apparently happened on sunday, the BTP have only just released the pic to the Mail (because they haven't managed to ID him).

Link: Clicky

Met Driver

Established Member
I think they're right about him being ex-railway. He seems to know what he's doing, unless he was just trying to jam the points with ballast.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Really, that must be one of the most stupid things you could do :x

I hope he's caught soon.

jd

If this is the same person, and if he's now fiddling with points, this is a completely different and potentially lethal situation. Setting fire to signalling equipment is one thing, it's just a load of disruption. If he is now playing with the points, this means he may cause a derailment. It's a worrying thought.

Simming

Ballest in points will do **** all in the way of risk if de-railment, unless he knew all the electrics.

To put ballest in the point blades, will just mean a pain in the ar$e for the bobby, as when he changes the points, he will get no detection, and after a while, the ballest would just fall down through, of crumble from constand pounding of the point blades. If he knew what he was doing how ever, he could try and fool the micro switches in the points into thinking the point blade was across, but there are alot easier ways to de-rail a train. (I would say what you could do, but that would be kinda stoooopid of me on a public forum)

TheSlash

Established Member
Its quite obviously a current or ex ST bloke, possibly even p-way, behind the crimes.
Now that theres a reward being offered, all sorts of wierd and wonderfull situations come to light.
The fact that this person has yet to be caught on CCTV proves its more than a random attack
I am 99% sure that if the management put their heads together they could nail the suspect in hours

Simming

after just seeing the photograph, man, this man aint no way hard to spot, especially which his trendy fashion wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.