• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking the return leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertha

If I buy an off-peak return from Perth to Cardiff via Manchester, can I break my return from Cardiff to Perth in Manchester for 3 days? Itinerary is:

OUT: 16/03: Perth>Cardiff via Manchester
RTN: 19/03: Cardiff>Manchester
RTN: 22/03: Manchester>Perth

Thanks for any advice

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bertha

That would be a bummer, although seeing as the Off-Peak single is £169.60 and the Off-Peak return is £170.60 it might be worth chancing it anyway, if only to use the Cardiff>Manchester portion on 19/03. I'm travelling to London from Manchester on 21 anyway (have to be in Bloomsbury by 1130) and back from London to Perth either on the sleeper on 21 or (via Manchester or not) on 22/03.

Actually - that's the full itinerary:

16/03: PTH>CDF
19/03: CDF>MAN (or SPT if it's easier)
21/03: MAN (or SPT)>LON
21/03: LON>PTH (on sleeper) or 22/03: LON>PTH

Any ideas?

island

Veteran Member
I think I will respectfully disagree with my colleague MattE2010. He would be correct in relation to breaking your outbound journey, where overnight break of journey is quite restricted, but to the best of my knowledge the return journey can be broken for several days within the limit of the ticket's validity.

If you use the sleeper, all bets are off as to how valid, if at all, your CDF-PTH ticket is on it.

wintonian

Established Member
Perth to Cardiff SVR has restriction 2v which does not prevent break of journy on the return.

So as long as via Manchester is a valid route (I can't see why not) then yes you can.

Attachments

• 2v.JPG
    2v.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 20

Bungle73

On Moderation
An Off-Peak Return allows a return any time within a month, and a break of journey on the return leg; whether you can split that break over a few days someone else will have to answer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I removed the post that contained incorrect information (to be fair, the member who posted it did say he wasn't sure, and to check, but it's best removed to avoid confusion)

An Off Peak Return (SVR) return portion is valid for one calendar month and break of journey is always permitted on the return portion of all Off Peak Return tickets.

National Rail Enquiries T&Cs for SVR tickets said:
A break of journey is allowed on the outward portion unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's Restriction Code and is allowed on the return portion of your ticket.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think I will respectfully disagree with my colleague MattE2010. He would be correct in relation to breaking your outbound journey, where overnight break of journey is quite restricted, but to the best of my knowledge the return journey can be broken for several days within the limit of the ticket's validity.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. Apologies for that, that was an Avantix-reading error, probably shouldn't attempt when I'm tired. :(

Content removed anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perth to Cardiff SVR has restriction 2v which does not prevent break of journy on the return.
To be exact, 2V does not prevent break of journey on the outward. The fact that the ticket type is Off Peak Return (SVR) means that break of journey is permitted on the return, with no requirement to check the restriction code.
So as long as via Manchester is a valid route (I can't see why not) then yes you can.

In addition to direct trains (if there ever are any; none a present) and the shortest route, the following mapped routes are available (both origin & destination are Routeing Points)

Perth - Cardiff Central:

John @ home

Established Member
If I buy an off-peak return from Perth to Cardiff via Manchester, can I break my return from Cardiff to Perth in Manchester for 3 days?
Yes.

The £170.60 Off-Peak return Perth - Cardiff route Not Via London is a fare set by CrossCountry. Their web site answers the question here.
CrossCountry said:
Off-Peak Return: summary of conditions or restrictions
Question Can I break my journey?
Answer Break of journey is allowed unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket’s validity.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Tickets_and_timetables/Train_fares/Off-peak.aspx
This ticket has Validity Code 2C.

This contains no restriction on break of either leg of the journey.

bertha

If you use the sleeper, all bets are off as to how valid, if at all, your CDF-PTH ticket is on it.

Sorry - the sleeper was a red herring, I realise that would require a separate ticket (if only because my company's insurance policy refuses to let me share a compartment and therefore requires me to purchase a 1st class sleeper ticket if I travel that way).

Thanks to you and others for confirming that breaking the return leg includes the option for one or more overnights en route (presumably within the month as stipulated for the return portion on the ticket).

I'm looking forward to this trip (almost as much as I'm looking forward to heading to Perth station to buy the ticket!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry - the sleeper was a red herring, I realise that would require a separate ticket (if only because my company's insurance policy refuses to let me share a compartment and therefore requires me to purchase a 1st class sleeper ticket if I travel that way).
A 1st class ticket isn't required for a Solo berth; however you would require a ticket that is valid via London if you wished to take the Sleeper to London.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/onboard/sleeper_trains.html
Caledonian Solo (exclusive use of a twin berth cabin) - £54.00 one way [Only available to holders of Standard Anytime and Off Peak returns tickets]

34D

Established Member
I'm slightly confused by this - the ticket routeing states "not via London" yet there is no "any permitted" equivalent to excess you to....

Furthermore, some of the permitted routes (as kindly listed above) do show routes via London.

If I understand correctly, for your outward journey you will go Perth to Cardiff (not bothered as to whether you go via York or Manchester - presumably wanting to go the quickest way). This is fine.

You then want to go Cardiff-Manchester a couple of days later, then Manchester-London a couple of days later, then either London-Perth by sleeper or (if you must/if cheaper) London-Manchester and Manchester-Perth.

As far as I can see (and I defer to more experienced forum members such as John at home or yorkie who have already posted above) your ticket would be valid on the sleeper from Watford Junction.

Cardiff to Perth is allowed by maps BD ZZ and FD. BD allows you to go Cardiff to Swindon or Cardiff to Taunton (where you would change to map ZZ) - you don't actually want to do this - as you will be wanting to go as far towards Manchester as the ticket allows (without then becoming invalid for the next bit)*.

Maps ZZ and FD then allow Euston or Watford Junction to Perth by the sleeper (either seated, or by paying as above for a solo berth).

To avoid the "not london" issue, you could buy Perth to Llanelli which is any permitted £174.60 saver return also 2V.

You would then only need a ticket from Newport to Manchester* and Manchester to Euston.

Note * - there would be a temptation to use your return ticket as far as Manchester (for which it would be valid) however this isn't something I personally would wish to publically recommend on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.