• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

breaking your journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert2000

i have seen people talk about breaking their journeys, can you only do this if you are splitting your ticket.

so i couldnt buy a return from chester to conwy and stop at rhyl on the way back or something like tht.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
In the vast majority of cases, a break of journey is allowed on walk up tickets. As far as I know, the only restrictions are a few savers/off peak returns priced by NXEC, on which a break of journey is allowed on the return journey only.
Breaks of journeys are not allowed on advance tickets, apart from when changing trains.
On Chester-Conwy, a break of journey is allowed in both directions.

ian13

You can't have any breaks on an advance ticket (break is defined as passing through the barriers/leaving the station for any purpose other than to use the station facilities) as the interchanges are not classed as breaks.

John @ home

Established Member
(break is defined as passing through the barriers/leaving the station for any purpose other than to use the station facilities)

Not quite.

from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf:
"For the purposes of this Condition [16] and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than:
(i) to join a train at another station, or
(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff."

So passing through the barriers plays no part in breaking a journey. Leaving a station normally does, unless one of the three clauses (i) - (iii) apply.

There are also some words in NCoC Condition 11 which suggest that you may also be able to break your journey if your train is extensively delayed and some words in the Terms and Conditions for Advance tickets which suggest that a delay by more than 60 minutes could be regarded as extensive.

John

ian13

So passing through the barriers plays no part in breaking a journey. Leaving a station normally does, unless one of the three clauses (i) - (iii) apply.

Okay, that's much more through. I added the clause "other than to use the station facilities" to make it more obvious that it was the station and not the barriers, but for all practical purposes if there are no barriers, then you are free to leave and reenter as you please. One would expect that on an advance ticket the clauses are unlikely to be applicable when deciding if a journey can be broken.

Cheers,

robert2000

im still puzzled

can i buy a return to birmingham and stop anywhere i want then on the way there and back, i.e chester-crewe, birmingham-shrewsbury, chester

me123

Established Member
Problem is that the barriers won't allow a break of journey, which means that you can't get through them even though you're perfectly entitled to in some cases. All to often I've been let out but not back in, or just stranded inside the barriers. They seem to understandably assume that they are the boundary of the station, but at Glasgow Queen Street you'd look like a right plonker if you stayed within the barriers, and the staff would probably ask why you were still there. Besides, the toilets and all other facilities are outside the barriers.

In this case, human barriers are much better. I've been allowed to leave the station when I have a 45 minute connection and things like that, so I can go and buy some breakfast or something to read. And I don't think it's unreasonable where the connection is more than, say, 15 minutes or half an hour.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
im still puzzled

can i buy a return to birmingham and stop anywhere i want then on the way there and back, i.e chester-crewe, birmingham-shrewsbury, chester

In short, yes. As long as you use the outward portion from A-B then the return portion from B-A and do not double back at any point on either leg, then you're fine.

John @ home

Established Member
One would expect that on an advance ticket the clauses are unlikely to be applicable when deciding if a journey can be broken

Why?

If I were to buy a £38.50 Standard Advance single from Leeds to Oban for 20:07 on 28 March (currently available) then the first and third legs are reserved but the middle one is not, giving me considerable freedom. Clause (ii) applies - I can stay in overnight accommodation at Edinburgh, Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk, Croy, Lenzie or Glasgow without being deemed to have broken my journey.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.