Breich - Public Consultation on Station Closure

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by DuncanS, 21 Jun 2017.

1. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Established Member

As someone who lived not all that far from Breich and worked for ScotRail for over eight years in BR’s day I wasn’t the least bit surprised when visiting the place recently that nobody else used the station when I alighted on the way in and joined on the way out. No vehicles were parked nearby either.

2. XC90

XC90 Member

Wait for the housing. It will bust then. Lovely station now after the millions s spent on it.

3. SteveM70

SteveM70 Member

And Balloch Central at the same time as the new station is the other side of the main road and is just called Balloch.....or is that a renaming and relocation rather than a closure and opening?

4. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

I've got a return ticket from Bowling to Balloch Central from...September 2018.

The way the Wikipedia articles are layed out suggests that Balloch Central and modern-day Balloch are different stations. Uckfield did a similar thing (relocated to the other side of a level crossing) but that is marked as a re-location. Not that that is a comprehensive answer.

Simply, I don't know.

5. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

Ultimately, it comes down to whatever category you want it to be in. If you are interested in physical platforms you will count differently to the one who is interested in station names and differently again to the one bothered about communities served.

6. AMD

AMD Member

Balloch Central was a relocation to the south side of the road that the line used to cross, it meant a big saving on infrastructure as the level crossing was removed. However the station database wasn't changed with the 'new' Balloch station subsuming the station code and data from the old station.

7. och aye

och aye Member

Are there plans for housing to built near the station?

8. PaulLothian

PaulLothian Member

The new local plan suggests 118 houses could (not will) be built in the village.