• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BREL Mk3 EMUs - What Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Viva-rail must be kicking themselves - it probably would have been cheaper to create a low cost DMU from the PEPs than the D stock surely?

The whole reason that Viva rail went for the D stock is that it was nowhere near life expired and plenty of components could be reused, the PEP stock however is life expired.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Viva-rail must be kicking themselves - it probably would have been cheaper to create a low cost DMU from the PEPs than the D stock surely?

Don't make rash statements like that or someone will start a thread on Bi mode 313's or 315's.
Diesel engines and AC electric.
No thanks.

The whole reason that Viva rail went for the D stock is that it was nowhere near life expired and plenty of components could be reused, the PEP stock however is life expired.

I respectfully withdraw my statement :)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The main benefit of the D-stock, if I recall correctly, is that it has relatively new bogies (about 10 years old I think) which were replaced due to cracking in the old ones.

The ally bodies also have relatively little corrosion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not quite. The Taunton fire was in 1978 well after the introduction of the Mk3 design. What it did do is inform the design of the Mk3 sleeper vehicles which were still in the design phase at that time.

And fire-retardance is far more critical on a sleeper vehicle, as on a regular vehicle the passengers tend not to be asleep and will thus see a fire taking hold.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
455s are older than 321s and a similar age to 317s. Unless the financial climate changes drastically in the meantime I would expect to see the next long-term franchisees replacing them. The replacements may be suitable for use on Crossrail 2.

As to classes 317-322 and 455-456 not looking much like Mk3s, remember that the original ones had the same window depth as the Mk3 with some opening ventilators added just above as if they were an afterthought. The deeper windows with integral hoppers came in on later batches. Things like the internal panelling around the windows (cream GRP with black rubber spacers between them) are also very similar. I believe the basic Mk3 structure was used for all these units, obviously modified to be shorter, wider and with different door positions.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
455s are older than 321s and a similar age to 317s. Unless the financial climate changes drastically in the meantime I would expect to see the next long-term franchisees replacing them. The replacements may be suitable for use on Crossrail 2.

As to classes 317-322 and 455-456 not looking much like Mk3s, remember that the original ones had the same window depth as the Mk3 with some opening ventilators added just above as if they were an afterthought. The deeper windows with integral hoppers came in on later batches. Things like the internal panelling around the windows (cream GRP with black rubber spacers between them) are also very similar. I believe the basic Mk3 structure was used for all these units, obviously modified to be shorter, wider and with different door positions.

The way you've described it reminds me a little of the way cars are built, like V.A.G using the Golf floorpan as the basis for lots of models under their umbrella from Skodas up to Audi TTs, and I assume from the chassis up the same techniques are used throughout the range for strength and safety no matter what shape/length the finished car or carriage takes.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member

Considering the D78s are the same age as most of the PEP stock and have led a harder life I can't see that actually being the case......

Mikey C

Established Member
Considering the D78s are the same age as most of the PEP stock and have led a harder life I can't see that actually being the case......

Underground stock tends to have a long life, despite its intensive use. I'm not sure whether that's a reflection of the quality of Underground stock, the type of use they get or the level of maintenance they get?

The D78 did get a very good overhaul as well, they certainly don't look like trains ready for the scrapyard

Status
Not open for further replies.