• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brent/ cricklewood waste transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all,

The waste transfer station just beside cricklewood is the news true that it’s being moved? I have only just found some very brief info regarding this, and I am curious to know anything about the plans, I’d appreciate any response big or small,

I noticed on the opposite side of the MML there is a new development with a siding, and curious whether rail will be in use again for bulk transfers

Cheers all, J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The waste transfer terminal closed some while ago. There have been many changes in the area for new Thameslink stabling sidings, EMR's Class 360s and track realignment for Brent Cross station.

There is a relatively new terminal set up for receipt of aggregate and loading of spoil on the Dudding Hill side of the line. This is not a replacement waste transfer station.

mbalyuzi

I don't think that this has been built yet.
Indeed - McLaughlin & Harvey were appointed as the main works contractor in October 2021, Main works on the new waste transfer centre are expected to commence in 2023.

Ladder23

Established Member
I’m way way behind, the last visit I had close to it was a few years ago when I worked on track doing some s&t work, I had only realised today that this facility has since closed! Thanks all..

Ladder23

Established Member
I wonder if Calvert still receive the waste by rail from another waste transfer station?

Supercoss

Household waste that used to go to Hendon Refuse transfer station now goes here ; (Edmonton)

The new Cricklewood rail freight terminal ' CAT' sidings only deals with construction waste

Adrian Barr

I wonder if Calvert still receive the waste by rail from another waste transfer station?

The FCC waste transfer terminal at Calvert is now closed (I think the landfill was in its final stages of being filled and covered over with spoil). The frequency of the binliner trains from Cricklewood gradually dwindled in Autumn 2020 and I believe the very last one ran in March 2021.

All the construction spoil flows to Calvert (from Barking, Bow and the new DB Cricklewood terminal) ended in July 2021 (the spoil was being used to cover over the landfill). By that time Calvert was receiving large quantities of aggregate from Tytherington for HS2 works - https://www.bamnuttall.co.uk/new/hs2-freight/

Calvert doesn't seem to have been receiving any aggregate trains since the beginning of October, but there have been several engineers trains in late October and during November (I assume they are doing track alterations but I don't know the details).

This article from August mentions a second railhead opening at Calvert allowing extra aggregate deliveries - https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/calvert-railhead-HS2. Possibly they started using the area that had previously been used for the spoil and bin trains. I'm not sure if the recent track alterations relate to this part of the site, or to the new HS2 infrastructure maintenance depot, or both... maybe somebody can elaborate. I don't know what changes have been made to the layout of the sidings at Calvert since HS2 works began.

There is a relatively new terminal set up for receipt of aggregate and loading of spoil on the Dudding Hill side of the line.

The new Cricklewood terminal has been receiving aggregate in recent weeks from Angerstein, Whatley, Tytherington and Dagenham (all in box wagons). The spoil loaded at Cricklewood has been going to Appleford.

There's some video of the Cricklewood terminal here - https://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/news/uk-news/terminal-cricklewood-5633330, although it's mixed up with footage from the spoil loading point at Bow (obvious from the curved sidings and the backdrop of Stratford Olympic area) and also some other footage from the Cemex aggregate terminal around the back of the old Stora Warehouse at Barking / Ripple Lane. The scenes from Cricklewood have a very new looking wooden fence / sound barrier and a brand new covered storage area, while the scenes with the Cemex lorry, the red MMA wagons, long warehouse, cement plant and older fence held up by supports are from Barking.

hwl

Established Member
Calvert doesn't seem to have been receiving any aggregate trains since the beginning of October, but there have been several engineers trains in late October and during November (I assume they are doing track alterations but I don't know the details).
The track has been lifted for HS2 works and access in the future will be via EWR phase 2 once track has been laid so second half of 2022.

Ladder23

Established Member
The FCC waste transfer terminal at Calvert is now closed (I think the landfill was in its final stages of being filled and covered over with spoil). The frequency of the binliner trains from Cricklewood gradually dwindled in Autumn 2020 and I believe the very last one ran in March 2021.

All the construction spoil flows to Calvert (from Barking, Bow and the new DB Cricklewood terminal) ended in July 2021 (the spoil was being used to cover over the landfill). By that time Calvert was receiving large quantities of aggregate from Tytherington for HS2 works - https://www.bamnuttall.co.uk/new/hs2-freight/

This article from August mentions a second railhead opening at Calvert allowing extra aggregate deliveries - https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/calvert-railhead-HS2. Possibly they started using the area that had previously been used for the spoil and bin trains. I'm not sure if the recent track alterations relate to this part of the site, or to the new HS2 infrastructure maintenance depot, or both... maybe somebody can elaborate. I don't know what changes have been made to the layout of the sidings at Calvert since HS2 works began.

The new Cricklewood terminal has been receiving aggregate in recent weeks from Angerstein, Whatley, Tytherington and Dagenham (all in box wagons). The spoil loaded at Cricklewood has been going to Appleford.

There's some video of the Cricklewood terminal here - https://uk.dbcargo.com/rail-uk-en/news/uk-news/terminal-cricklewood-5633330, although it's mixed up with footage from the spoil loading point at Bow (obvious from the curved sidings and the backdrop of Stratford Olympic area) and also some other footage from the Cemex aggregate terminal around the back of the old Stora Warehouse at Barking / Ripple Lane. The scenes from Cricklewood have a very new looking wooden fence / sound barrier and a brand new covered storage area, while the scenes with the Cemex lorry, the red MMA wagons, long warehouse, cement plant and older fence held up by supports are from Barking.
Thanks for such a informative response, I am really gutted that the binliners now don’t operate there, I was hoping to take some videos and take in the sights of them at cricklewood.

I don’t suppose you’d know where the bin liners are kept now, or where they now work to and from?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Thanks for such a informative response, I am really gutted that the binliners now don’t operate there, I was hoping to take some videos and take in the sights of them at cricklewood.

I don’t suppose you’d know where the bin liners are kept now, or where they now work to and from?
Loosely similar trains of containerised waste (albeit for incineration and power generation as 'refuse-derived fuel' rather than to landfill at Calvert) operate from Northolt and Brentford to Severnside (near Avonmouth) via the GWML.

Other services away from London operate between various terminals in the Manchester area and Runcorn, and from Knowsley (Merseyside) to Wilton (Teesside).

Last edited:

Adrian Barr

Loosely similar trains of containerised waste (albeit for incineration and power generation as 'refuse-derived fuel' rather than to landfill at Clavert) operate from Northolt and Brentford to Severnside (near Avonmouth) via the GWML.

Yes, around London the best bet to see a bin train is the 6C03 service from Northolt to Severnside, which leaves around 09:30 Monday-Friday and an hour later on Saturdays. The Saturday service might not always run, or be rerouted / retimed due to engineering work on some weekends, but the weekday service is a reliable runner by freight train standards. It propels out of the Northolt terminal into South Ruislip platform 3 and then runs via Drayton Green, Hanwell, Reading, Swindon to Bristol Parkway, taking the freight line to Avonmouth and running round at the old Avonmouth coal terminal.

66051 reversing the Northolt - Severnside Binliner at South Ruislip, 11 September 2021

Monday to Friday > https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H20167/2021-12-13/detailed
Saturday > https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H15485/2021-12-11/detailed

The circuit of this bin train is a little bit complicated, it departs late evening from Severnside (with empty containers) and normally runs via Clifton Down - Bath Spa - Swindon - Reading - Southall and down the Brentford branch where it drops off half the wagons and picks up a loaded portion (which was dropped off the previous night). It then departs around 4am from Brentford to Northolt (running round at Southall) with half the train conveying empty containers for Northolt and the other half with loaded containers from Brentford. The empty containers are swapped for loaded ones at Northolt and the full train then forms the 6C03 back to Severnside...

To look at, there isn't much difference between the old Cricklewood bins and the Severnside bins, just a difference in the colour of the containers. There are some good shots on flickr if you search for "Northolt Severnside" or "6M22 Calvert" to compare the two, although to get the full experience you really need to smell it as it goes past!

Meerkat

Established Member
How long a train is it - does it fit on the slow line for reversing or go over the points and block the down fast?

Ladder23

Established Member
Yes, around London the best bet to see a bin train is the 6C03 service from Northolt to Severnside, which leaves around 09:30 Monday-Friday and an hour later on Saturdays. The Saturday service might not always run, or be rerouted / retimed due to engineering work on some weekends, but the weekday service is a reliable runner by freight train standards. It propels out of the Northolt terminal into South Ruislip platform 3 and then runs via Drayton Green, Hanwell, Reading, Swindon to Bristol Parkway, taking the freight line to Avonmouth and running round at the old Avonmouth coal terminal.

66051 reversing the Northolt - Severnside Binliner at South Ruislip, 11 September 2021

Monday to Friday > https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H20167/2021-12-13/detailed
Saturday > https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H15485/2021-12-11/detailed

The circuit of this bin train is a little bit complicated, it departs late evening from Severnside (with empty containers) and normally runs via Clifton Down - Bath Spa - Swindon - Reading - Southall and down the Brentford branch where it drops off half the wagons and picks up a loaded portion (which was dropped off the previous night). It then departs around 4am from Brentford to Northolt (running round at Southall) with half the train conveying empty containers for Northolt and the other half with loaded containers from Brentford. The empty containers are swapped for loaded ones at Northolt and the full train then forms the 6C03 back to Severnside...

To look at, there isn't much difference between the old Cricklewood bins and the Severnside bins, just a difference in the colour of the containers. There are some good shots on flickr if you search for "Northolt Severnside" or "6M22 Calvert" to compare the two, although to get the full experience you really need to smell it as it goes past!
Thanks for the response sorry it’s late to thank you ive been away from home/ internet access!

Forty29

Household waste that used to go to Hendon Refuse transfer station now goes here ; (Edmonton)

The new Cricklewood rail freight terminal ' CAT' sidings only deals with construction waste

The track has been lifted for HS2 works and access in the future will be via EWR phase 2 once track has been laid so second half of 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.