• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Journeyman

Established Member
You know very little about our fishing industry if you think that joining the EEC/EU was the main reason for the problems faced by the UK fishing industry. I suggest you need to research the effect the Cod Wars had on our fleet.
Why let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to blame the EU for something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
We seem to be stuck in a case of "we want our borders back to stop Johnny foreigner getting in but only Johnny foreigner and as such there should be no restrictions for us true residents of the UK".
Basically completely forgetting that the EU want to police there border too and that they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Interestingly the Daily Telegraph in their article on the BoJo Government "reviewing" workers rights post-Brexit, failed to even give any real mention on the fact that the rights to breaks, overtime payments, and holiday pay are under review. The only thing that was mentioned was about the maximum 45hr working week, and that was offset by arguments about how Britain "leads the way" in workers rights etc etc. I sincerely hope the media repeatedly ask questions about the review on rights to breaks, overtime and holiday payments so these are not quietly snuck in on the day before Christmas or Easter like most uncomfortable announcements are.

21C101

Established Member
Charming. Thank goodness we have got out.

"Ireland has been barred from ordering doses of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in an apparent EU bid to pay the UK back for Brexit.

The vaccine has been given the go ahead in the UK in order to vaccinate as many people as possible with the NHS under increasing pressure.

The jab has yet to be given the green light by the EU and there may be delays due to Brexit.

The European Commission said that coronavirus vaccines cannot be delivered before they get regulatory approval.

Today, Micheal Martin told the Dail that an early consignment of the Oxford jab would not be forthcoming."

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland...

"Date published: 04 January 2021
The first Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has been administered in Northern Ireland today....."

alex397

Established Member

"Ireland has been barred from ordering doses of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in an apparent EU bid to pay the UK back for Brexit.

The vaccine has been given the go ahead in the UK in order to vaccinate as many people as possible with the NHS under increasing pressure.

The jab has yet to be given the green light by the EU and there may be delays due to Brexit.

The European Commission said that coronavirus vaccines cannot be delivered before they get regulatory approval.

Today, Micheal Martin told the Dail that an early consignment of the Oxford jab would not be forthcoming."
It sounds like Dublin Live is like another version of the Daily Express. The headline is incredibly misleading (well, more than that, a lie) - I have read the article and nothing there suggests this is the EU getting 'payback' on the UK. It has nothing to do with that. It does show the EU is being very slow with it, but I don't know how anyone can suggest they are doing this to get 'payback'. 'Journalism' like this is probably why trust in media isn't very high.

class ep-09

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland...

"Date published: 04 January 2021
The first Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has been administered in Northern Ireland today....."

And if you take Dublinlive.ie “journalism” on the face value , are you surprised that brexit supporters are considered to be gullible ?

21C101

Established Member
And if you take Dublinlive.ie “journalism” on the face value , are you surprised that brexit supporters are considered to be gullible ?
Whatever the reason, those in the UK including Northern Ireland have access to the Oxford Vaccine.

Those in the republic don't because the EU have forbidden their government to buy it until further notice.

But for Brexit the UK would have been in the same positon.

Freeing the UK from the dead hand of overzealous and overly bureaucratic EU regulation on such matters was a prime driver for many who voted Brexit including myself.

Even I have been surprised that it has been illustrated so starkly so quickly, especially given the howls of outrage and dark warnings of UK being unable to get vaccines that emanated from the Arch Remainers at Westminster when the government announced it was not taking part in the EU vaccine procurement scheme.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Whatever the reason, those in the UK including Northern Ireland have access to the Oxford Vaccine.

Those in the republic don't because the EU have forbidden their government to buy it until further notice.

Once you get past the sensationalist headline (or preferably go to another source), the story is "Ireland won't be using Oxford vaccine until it is approved". Nothing to see here, and definitely nothing Brexit related.

Dave1987

On Moderation

Freeing the UK from the dead hand of overzealous and overly bureaucratic EU regulation on such matters was a prime driver for many who voted Brexit including myself.

Even I have been surprised that it has been illustrated so starkly so quickly, especially given the howls of outrage and dark warnings of UK being unable to get vaccines that emanated from the Arch Remainers at Westminster when the government announced it was not taking part in the EU vaccine procurement scheme.
So you voted for Brexit to free us from the overly bureaucratic or EU regulatory system. I presume you also count the rights to rest breaks, holiday pay, and overtime payments as "overly bureaucratic"?

Because one of the very first things the BoJo government is doing is putting workers rights under review. Wonder how many people who voted for Brexit will regret it when employers are no longer legally required to give certain rest breaks etc.

Typhoon

Established Member

I have no idea of the political views of particular Irish newspapers but I found the following in The Journal (dated 12.01.21) (https://www.thejournal.ie/astrazeneca-vaccine-application-eu-5322484-Jan2021/?utm_source=story

THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES Agency (EMA) has received an application for approval of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.

A decision on the conditional marketing authorisation of the vaccine could be issued by 29 January, the EMA said.

The assessment of the vaccine will proceed under an accelerated timeline. If approved, it would be the third Covid-19 vaccine given the green light in the EU after Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.
May I suggest that if we were still in the EU, they would have applied rather earlier - it was approved in this country on 30.12.20. They are expected to approve it in 17 days, doesn't seem unnecessarily long.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
And yet it is clear that Brexit has introduced a whole host of bureaucracy and red tape - anyone who sees the news can see that.

21C101

Established Member
So you voted for Brexit to free us from the overly bureaucratic or EU regulatory system. I presume you also count the rights to rest breaks, holiday pay, and overtime payments as "overly bureaucratic"?

Because one of the very first things the BoJo government is doing is putting workers rights under review. Wonder how many people who voted for Brexit will regret it when employers are no longer legally required to give certain rest breaks etc.
We have the option of voting Labour at the next election in less than four years who, if the Tories do make significant changes (still a big if), will reverse them and probably go further than the EUs rules.

On the other hand if we stayed in the EU and the EU in future decided to remove said regulations, there would be nothing we in the UK could do about it.

Dave1987

On Moderation
We have the option of voting Labour at the next election in less than four years who, if the Tories do make significant changes (still a big if), will reverse them and probably go further than the EUs rules.

On the other hand if we stayed in the EU and the EU in future decided to remove said regulations, there would be nothing we in the UK could do about it.

A big if??? Why would one of the first things they review be workers' rights to rest breaks, overtime, and holiday payments if they did not intend to make big changes to them straight away? They could very very easily just stick with EU rules and start reviewing many many other bits and pieces but no they went straight for workers' rights. And don’t give me that rubbish about "if the EU decided to remove them we could do nothing about it". You have just said you think the EU is overly bureaucratic which says to me you think that the right to rest breaks and holiday pay is just bureaucracy. When people realise what Brexit means and what protections the EU afforded them there may well be a major u-turn against your ideology.

Journeyman

Established Member
Wrong. We could vote for different MEPs, and have a direct influence on EU policy, as Britain did for many years. We now have a trade agreement dependent on us maintaining standards we can't influence.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I have no idea of the political views of particular Irish newspapers but I found the following in The Journal (dated 12.01.21) (https://www.thejournal.ie/astrazeneca-vaccine-application-eu-5322484-Jan2021/?utm_source=story

May I suggest that if we were still in the EU, they would have applied rather earlier - it was approved in this country on 30.12.20. They are expected to approve it in 17 days, doesn't seem unnecessarily long.
When the UK approved the Oxford vaccine, we were still subject to EU rules. But as I've already posted, these include a provision for individual countries to approve particular medicines for emergency domestic use, a power we exercised and which the Irish could exercise now.

As well as the options to influence the EU decision making as a member, I don't believe there's anything in law to stop a member state unilaterally adopting more stringent rules on workers' rights. However, in the unlikely event of the EU dropping the Working Time Directive, there would be pressure for the UK to do so to remain competitive, so we might end up doing so against the will of the British people.

Revilo

And yet it is clear that Brexit has introduced a whole host of bureaucracy and red tape - anyone who sees the news can see that.
We’re only at the very start of Brexit. Over time having left the EU we can get rid of a lot of the unnecessary red tape.

Journeyman

Established Member
We’re only at the very start of Brexit. Over time having left the EU we can get rid of a lot of the unnecessary red tape.
Brexit has been the biggest imposition of red tape on UK businesses in 50 years.

najaB

Veteran Member
Over time having left the EU we can get rid of a lot of the unnecessary red tape.
Leaving the Customs Union required us to hire an additional 50,000 HMRC staff, and that's before we vary our standards!

nlogax

Established Member

No. Over time Brexit will have generated FAR more red tape than EU membership ever has, having to replace what we once had with hundreds of individual trade and other deals. Absolute joke.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
So first it was once we leave the EU we can get rid of red tape, and now it is "over time"? Seriously?
Why can't Brexiters just admit they lied about leaving meaning less red tape?

alex397

Established Member
It is incredible that people can’t see that Brexit is significantly increasing bureaucracy and red tape, one of the very things many anti-EU people have complained about in the past.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Possibly lied, or possibly just didn't understand how the Customs Union or Single Market worked
Either way they are to blame. Politicians supporting a particular policy have a moral duty to find out and understand what the issues are so they can explain them truthfully to those who look to them for answers. There's more than a whiff here of Brexiters making up the facts to suit their opinion.

najaB

Veteran Member
There's more than a whiff here of Brexiters making up the facts to suit their opinion.
Oh, is that what the smell is? I thought it was something of a more bovine nature.
--------------
In a little bit of positive Brexit-related news, Nissan has committed to continuing car production in Sunderland. Though, to read it in the likes of the Sun or Telegraph you would think that it was a major victory.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Oh, is that what the smell is? I thought it was something of a more bovine nature.
--------------
In a little bit of positive Brexit-related news, Nissan has committed to continuing car production in Sunderland. Though, to read it in the likes of the Sun or Telegraph you would think that it was a major victory.

Doesn't Nissan's continued presence have something to do with them getting some sort of deal from the government that no-one is going to ever tell us about? I wonder how much it's costing us?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Plus they've already sunk a lot of money into the plant so unless its actually losing them money they'll keep it open for now.