• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit Party to be reformed as Reform UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
His principles don’t go as far as turning down his EU pension which will come out of the divorce settlement with the EU he so opposes?

Why should he turn it down? He was returned as an MEP for many years - despite consistently campaigning against his own existence as such - so clearly many people approved of his message

Farage is entitled to his views, but I would have had much more respect for him if UKIP/Brexit party had adopted an abstentionist position and not taken their seats in the European Parliament, like Sinn Fein at Westminster. To go there, take the money, deliberately obstruct proceedings and turn their backs when the anthem was played was pathetic, insulting, self-aggrandising and hypocritical behaviour of the highest order.

But, by the same token, Jeremy Corbyn has been a Labour MP for decades and has done nothing else other than rebel - even undermining his own party when it was in government. Yet nobody ever suggests Jezza should forfeit his MP’s salary and pension.

The proof of the pudding?

Jezza’s biggest achievement was winning Boris Johnson a thumping majority at the last election (and being exposed as an actual racist)

Sinn Fein have been empty chairs - and nothing more - since the IRA stopped blowing things up on the mainland.

Thanks to Farage, the UK has now left the EU, the single biggest political upheaval since WW2. And he’s achieved that without even being elected as an MP.

I’m certainly intrigued to see what Nige can do, for his next trick, in relation to Covid... :).

Established Member
To credit him entirely for the moronic decision, and entirely expected subsequent absolute mess that is Brexit is disingenuous in my opinion. But he, and his party, certainly pushed heavily for it.

However, he remains on my mental list - and it's a very short one - of people I trust less than Boris Johnson. Seriously, I wouldn't trust him to return a library book, let alone return a country to a stable state after a pandemic.

You don’t agree with his stance on Brexit. But what is untrustworthy about campaigning for an outcome since the 90s, and then delivering it (albeit by an unorthodox means). It also isn’t a “moronic” or “mental” decision - it’s the outcome over 50% of the British electorate voted for in 2016.

It seems that his stance is pro-freedom for British people, within Britain - but not anybody or anywhere else.

As a libertarian he’s pro small government and pro individual freedom and autonomy. Someone with that political mindset is never going to be a fan of the EU, and they aren’t going to favour the current government’s approach to the Covid pandemic.

That seems like a perfectly consistent approach to me.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't wish to discuss the Brexit comments I made any futher. With hindsight they are probably going to move the thread needlessly far offtopic so I have removed them. If anyone would like to create a new thread to talk about this - subject to the forum moderators approving of it, of course - then I'm happy to engage in the discussion, however.

However @43066 I'd just like to clarify that what I meant by "mental list" was that the list is in my head, not that I'd describe the people on it as "mental" in that sense... apologies for any lack of clarity!

Established Member
However @43066 I'd just like to clarify that what I meant by "mental list" was that the list is in my head, not that I'd describe the people on it as "mental" in that sense... apologies for any lack of clarity!

Apologies - that was my fault - I completely misread what you’d written there.

squizzler

Established Member
Hans't that man ruined this county enough already?

Reform, like UKIP and Brexit before it, will be another stalking horse used by vested interests to drive the Conservative party towards the far right. And also be supported by the Russians as a means to incite divisions both within British society and between us and EU/NATO to make us weaker as a nation.

brad465

Established Member
Can spoil the ballot paper, better than not voting at all.
I suppose it’s an option, but it doesn’t really achieve much.
No, but it does register that you don't support any of the candidates. Better than not voting?
To be fair under our voting system one could vote for this new party and chances are it won't achieve anything. However if enough people say they will vote for it this will force the Government to change tact in response to poll splitting.

Journeyman

Established Member
But, by the same token, Jeremy Corbyn has been a Labour MP for decades and has done nothing else other than rebel - even undermining his own party when it was in government. Yet nobody ever suggests Jezza should forfeit his MP’s salary and pension.

The proof of the pudding?

Jezza’s biggest achievement was winning Boris Johnson a thumping majority at the last election (and being exposed as an actual racist)

Yeah, and as someone with centre-left, small-government, in many ways "Blairite" views, I'm furious with Corbyn too, who has done nothing but attempt to undermine any chance of Labour actually achieving anything. I'm glad Starmer has dealt properly with the misguided old fool.

You don’t agree with his stance on Brexit. But what is untrustworthy about campaigning for an outcome since the 90s, and then delivering it (albeit by an unorthodox means). It also isn’t a “moronic” or “mental” decision - it’s the outcome over 50% of the British electorate voted for in 2016.

Just because a majority voted for it doesn't make it a good idea.

I'm no great fan of the EU, but I think we were far better off in than out, and I think we're rapidly heading for a disaster, the likes of which none of us have ever seen.

I've never wanted to be more wrong in my life, and I hope I am wrong, but the evidence so far doesn't point in that direction.

Therefore, I'm sure you'll understand why I won't lend my support to any pie that Farage gets his grubby, hypocritical, opportunistic fingers in, while enjoying his EU pension and German passports for his family, giving him rights he was happy to deprive the rest of us of.

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
It also isn’t a “moronic” or “mental” decision - it’s the outcome over 50% of the British electorate voted for in 2016.
I know we're staying off topic but must pick up on this one, it was over 50% of those that voted not 50% of the British Electorate.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect we've reached the end of the road here (I have a very strong sense of deja vu developing as we've definetly debated these points to death previously). Once there is some more news about this ReformUK party beyond it being a rebrand of the Brexit Party we can look to re-open this thread but right now I don't think there's anything else to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.