• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge-Bash at Kew on the South Circular Road (22/02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyW33

Oddly enough, unlike the rest of Europe, there isn't a maximum height for road vehicles in the U.K. Above a certain height (3m IIRC) vehicles must display their height in the cab. And the design height of bridges on motorways etc is 5m, so obviously you wouldn’t get very far with anything above that height.
The trouble with displaying the height in the cab is twofold. Firstly it is simply unworkable in the case of articulated lorries where the same tractor unit may haul several different trailers, of differing heights, during the course of the same day. Secondly, even with rigid vehicles with fixed bodies, the drivers don't always pay any attention. Buses have had the height marked in the cab for over 70 years, yet several double decker buses get de-roofed each year.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I already know the answer, but I will still ask anyway. Why is there no tough penalty on lorry drivers, who do this collectively 5 times daily?
5 times daily to railway bridges, at that.

there are many other over-road structures- wonder what the actual total is?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think a lowloader with an incorrectly loaded JCB that hit a bridge dislodged the structure enough to move the track out of alignment.
But these are classed as RTA'a and the rail safety lot seem to regard RTA's affecting the railway are the highways authorities problem. Great heck was regarded as an RTA.

RTA = Road traffic accident
Road Traffic Collision is the preferred term these days. "Accident" has an air of a lack of responsibility, a lack of avoidability.

Lockwood

Official vocab guidelines...

ANGEL and DANNY wave on the morning traffic past the crash site. JAMES REAPER leans out of his 4X4.

REAPER
What’s happened Danny?

DANNY
Car accident.

REAPER
Nasty way to go.

ANGEL
Constable, official vocab guidelines state we no longer refer to these incidents as "accidents", they are now "collisions"

DANNY
Right...

[Clip cuts ahead]

SKINNER pulls away fast. ANGEL watches his MG go and makes a note of the personalised numberplate ’SS1’. Behind AMANDA PAVER pulls up on her bicycle and talks to DANNY.

AMANDA PAVER
What happened, Danny?

DANNY
Traffic collision... Hey, why can’t we say "accident" again?

ANGEL
Because "accident" implies there's nobody to blame.

Last edited:

whhistle

On Moderation
Why should we farepayers/taxpayers pay to heighten all our bridges just because logistics firms want to run oversized vehicles ?
Because that's the price of progress?
That's why our roads are now too small. Look at the original mini compared with cars these days - they're tiny!

Plus, smaller vehicles means more of them.
Two lots of trucks, environmental blah blah, not to mention yet more slow trucks on the already congested roads.

Antman

Established Member
That's why our roads are now too small. Look at the original mini compared with cars these days - they're tiny!

Two lots of trucks, environmental blah blah, not to mention yet more slow trucks on the already congested roads.

It's simply not possible to increase the clearance on many bridges, Shortlands for example.

underbank

Established Member
5 times daily to railway bridges, at that.

there are many other over-road structures- wonder what the actual total is?

Probably double that with non-rail bridges. There is a foot/cycle bridge near me that gets hit a few times each year, by double decker buses, normal artic lorries and other vehicles such as large skip/portacabin carriers. There are road signs on the approach, good visibility and hazard chevrons on the bridge, but the drivers still plough into it!

Stigy

Established Member
I don’t see how labelling cabs with vehicle heights helps, if a vehicle the size of this hits a bridge that is clearly too low to accommodate it, it’s down to a lapse in concentration by the HGV driver. It’s becoming such a problem now that some bridges that are problematic have gantries attaches meaning if a vehicle hits, it doesnt affect the bridge itself, meaning rail traffic can keep running normally. As far as I’m aware, drivers tend not to face prosecution when then hit bridges, or have to foot the bill for the often thousands of pounds worth of delay minutes incurred by the railway. Maybe this would be a deterrent?

Lucan

Established Member
Why should we farepayers/taxpayers pay to heighten all our bridges just because logistics firms want to run oversized vehicles ?

If a bridge is too small for the railway then the railway should pay for its enlargement. If a bridge is too small for lorries then the lorry owners should pay for its enlargement. Doesn't matter if the railway/road goes over or under. Seems simple to me.
And I mean the lorry owners, not the car owners who subsidise them; the latter do not need the higher clearance.
Plus, smaller vehicles means more of them. Two lots of trucks, environmental blah blah.....
It is not as simple as that. Larger trucks mean more of them because it makes it more economical to carry goods further and to take freight from rail. You should be aware of Jevon's Paradox https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox which states that when you make something more efficient it gets used more - to an extent outweighing the reduction in useage that might have been simplistically expected from the efficiency gain.
From Wikipedia :-
Jevons observed that England's onsumption of coal soared after James Watt introduced the the Watt steam engine, which greatly improved the efficiency of the coal fired steam engine ..

Antman

Established Member
I don’t see how labelling cabs with vehicle heights helps, if a vehicle the size of this hits a bridge that is clearly too low to accommodate it, it’s down to a lapse in concentration by the HGV driver. It’s becoming such a problem now that some bridges that are problematic have gantries attaches meaning if a vehicle hits, it doesnt affect the bridge itself, meaning rail traffic can keep running normally. As far as I’m aware, drivers tend not to face prosecution when then hit bridges, or have to foot the bill for the often thousands of pounds worth of delay minutes incurred by the railway. Maybe this would be a deterrent?

Obviously the height has to be displayed in the cab or the driver would just have to guess.

A0wen

On Moderation

You could make the same point about any infrastructure improvements such as platform lengthening on the railways to run longer trains.

It's about having appropriate capacity - and the South Circ is a major route, so it's reasonable to assume it shouldn't have height limitations.

Your problem is unless the solution runs on rails you don't see the point of it / don't like it.

As it happens an old Routemaster would only just have fitted under that bridge - those were 14' 4 1/2 " - so less than 5" clearance.

hwl

Established Member
the South Circ is a major route, so it's reasonable to assume it shouldn't have height limitations.
The South Circ is a sheep in wolf's clothing and that is a very bad assumption as it has plenty! Three of the Six < 16'6" bridges on South Circular are regularly in the annual top 10 hit bridges.
It is a TfL controlled road and they won't seem to want to spend any money getting NR to replace the bridge decks to remove the clearance issues. (diversions for the 6 low bridges can add up to 5-6miles extra to a trip for some bridges)
Tulse Hill is a seriously expensive job when that comes up for renewal (station rebuild at the same time) so circa £60-70m.

The residents of Kew quite like restriction on HGVs.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
The South Circ is a sheep in wolf's clothing and that is a very bad assumption as it has plenty! Three of the Six < 16'6" bridges on South Circular are regularly in the annual top 10 hit bridges.
It is a TfL controlled road and they won't seem to want to spend any money getting NR to replace the bridge decks to remove the clearance issues. (diversions for the 6 low bridges can add up to 5-6miles extra to a trip for some bridges)
Tulse Hill is a seriously expensive job when that comes up for renewal (station rebuild at the same time) so circa £60-70m.

The residents of Kew quite like restriction on HGVs.

Why should TfL be wasting money on things like that? There is a very easy diversion route around the Tulse Hill low bridge (Lancaster Avenue) and it's not exactly difficult to avoid the other low bridges on the South Circular.

hwl

Established Member
Why should TfL be wasting money on things like that? There is a very easy diversion route around the Tulse Hill low bridge (Lancaster Avenue) and it's not exactly difficult to avoid the other low bridges on the South Circular.
That was sort of my point not that much reason to until the realise they should think about doing stuff for Air quality reasons.
Catford isn't that easy to avoid as all the bridges along the Hayes Line are low too.
Putney (East Putney tube) and Tulse Hill are easy to avoid but adds time on to journeys.

Mind you I've seen other (newer, stronger, tougher) Tulse Hill Bridge that is over 16'6" (on height warning on bridge) taken out by an HGV or more precisely the high cube transit on the top of a car transporter the total height would have been ~21'!

Ken H

On Moderation
These bridges were adequate for the road traffic before WW2. The fact that the haulage industry wants to run huge trucks but expects the government to pay for the infrastructure to fit them. Maybe if hauliers want bridges made higher so their stuff can go under they should cough up. Same as the railway had to pay to make big containers fit the existing railway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

That's not really a comparison though. Even in the heyday of the Mini, there were still plenty of Rolls Royces, Hearses, delivery vans, green goddesses and other large vehicles that were built to fit around Britain's road network.

I'm not usually an advocate for the ordinary car driver, but they usually end up paying for the additional damage caused by the ever larger lorries.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You could make the same point about any infrastructure improvements such as platform lengthening on the railways to run longer trains.

It's about having appropriate capacity - and the South Circ is a major route, so it's reasonable to assume it shouldn't have height limitations.

Your problem is unless the solution runs on rails you don't see the point of it / don't like it.

As it happens an old Routemaster would only just have fitted under that bridge - those were 14' 4 1/2 " - so less than 5" clearance.

If the haulage industry wants higher bridges, let the haulage industry pay for it. Or if it does require taxpayer subsidy, it should come out of the budget set aside for road improvements. If this is so important, let them cancel the Little Piddling on the Wold's by-pass, not our platform extensions.

Ought to be the same with level crossing replacements frankly.

A0wen

On Moderation
If the haulage industry wants higher bridges, let the haulage industry pay for it. Or if it does require taxpayer subsidy, it should come out of the budget set aside for road improvements. If this is so important, let them cancel the Little Piddling on the Wold's by-pass, not our platform extensions.

Ought to be the same with level crossing replacements frankly.

Given the haulage industry pays FAR more in taxes currently than rail passengers, I'd suggest that ALOT more should be spent on the roads than currently is.

The haulage industry incurs, in no particular order, vehicle excise duty, fuel duty, corporation tax, NI. Given the haulage industry is a net contributor to the tax pot, whereas the rail industry is a net drain, I'd be very careful what you wish for.

As ever, you've just demonstrated you're anti-roads, even when the works would make complete sense and might actually benefit the rail industry. The problem with people like you is society would never have developed beyond caves, so intent are you on obstructing progress.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given the haulage industry pays FAR more in taxes currently than rail passengers, I'd suggest that ALOT more should be spent on the roads than currently is.

The haulage industry incurs, in no particular order, vehicle excise duty, fuel duty, corporation tax, NI. Given the haulage industry is a net contributor to the tax pot, whereas the rail industry is a net drain, I'd be very careful what you wish for.

As others have pointed out, the haulage industry is effectively subsidised by ordinary motorists who have to pay for the damage caused by large vehicles.

Frankly any subsidy to the railway is worth it for them, just to keep us off of the roads.

Antman

Established Member
These bridges were adequate for the road traffic before WW2. The fact that the haulage industry wants to run huge trucks but expects the government to pay for the infrastructure to fit them. Maybe if hauliers want bridges made higher so their stuff can go under they should cough up. Same as the railway had to pay to make big containers fit the existing railway.

Do hauliers want bridges made higher? For the vast majority of drivers low bridges aren't a problem, they avoid them. In many cases it's pie in the sky to suggest increasing bridge clearances just like removing level crossings.

A0wen

On Moderation
As others have pointed out, the haulage industry is effectively subsidised by ordinary motorists who have to pay for the damage caused by large vehicles.

Frankly any subsidy to the railway is worth it for them, just to keep us off of the roads.

So please explain to me how the railways - already at capacity - are going to deliver the goods to my local Tesco without incurring massive costs ?

The railways are fine for shipping large quantities of bulky products from one point to another. They are not in any way efficient at delivering smaller quantities or handling multiple drops. The kind of stuff in that DPD lorry is a case in point - almost certainly palletised, very possibly multi-drop i.e. picking up from one or two warehouses and dropping off at many others.

I actually understand the logistics business - you clearly don't.

A0wen

On Moderation
Do hauliers want bridges made higher? For the vast majority of drivers low bridges aren't a problem, they avoid them. In many cases it's pie in the sky to suggest increasing bridge clearances just like removing level crossings.

I suspect universally they don't - but there is a legitimate point where you have 'trunk' routes, of which the south-circular is one, where you might reasonably expect there to be no height limitations. Compare that with the North Circular for example which over the years has been improved and now is a fairly effective route from east to west London without major obstruction.

Nobody's suggesting replacing low bridges universally - but where they are on major trunk routes AND have major rail lines on top of them which are disrupted in the event of a bridge strike, there is more than a small amount of merit in addressing these.

Lucan

Established Member
Given the haulage industry pays FAR more in taxes currently than rail passengers..... The haulage industry incurs, in no particular order, vehicle excise duty, fuel duty, corporation tax, NI.
Looking around a typical train-load of passengers I would guess that 75% of them own cars, so are paying tax on them even while they are not using them. My wife and myself are certainly subsidising HGVs as far as road usage is concerned. I estimate that I pay ten times as much VED per mile for my car as a typical HGV of the heaviest type, despite their causing orders of magnitude more road damage, pollution and road space occupancy.*

The basic problem with road pricing is that much or most of the users' cost is fixed (VED, insurance, depreciation of vehicle value) so there is no dis-incentive to use a vehicle to the full once you have it, and the distribution of that cost among users has acquired a Kafkaesque skew to it.

so intent are you on obstructing progress
That depends on what you consider to be progress. I would regard getting freight in particular onto rail as progress.

* Road damage by a vehicle is related to the fourth power of the axle load, multiplied by the number of axles.

Antman

Established Member
I suspect universally they don't - but there is a legitimate point where you have 'trunk' routes, of which the south-circular is one, where you might reasonably expect there to be no height limitations. Compare that with the North Circular for example which over the years has been improved and now is a fairly effective route from east to west London without major obstruction.

Nobody's suggesting replacing low bridges universally - but where they are on major trunk routes AND have major rail lines on top of them which are disrupted in the event of a bridge strike, there is more than a small amount of merit in addressing these.

As you say the North Circular has been virtually rebuilt but it would be impossible to do the same with the South Circular without large scale demolition so we're pretty much stuck with what we've got.

A0wen

On Moderation
Looking around a typical train-load of passengers I would guess that 75% of them own cars, so are paying tax on them even while they are not using them. My wife and myself are certainly subsidising HGVs as far as road usage is concerned. I estimate that I pay ten times as much VED per mile for my car as a typical HGV of the heaviest type, despite their causing orders of magnitude more road damage, pollution and road space occupancy.*

The basic problem with road pricing is that much or most of the users' cost is fixed (VED, insurance, depreciation of vehicle value) so there is no dis-incentive to use a vehicle to the full once you have it, and the distribution of that cost among users has acquired a Kafkaesque skew to it.

That depends on what you consider to be progress. I would regard getting freight in particular onto rail as progress.

* Road damage by a vehicle is related to the fourth power of the axle load, multiplied by the number of axles.

You're comparing Apples with Bananas though.

Your private car is there for you and your wife to transport private individuals to / from Waitrose, the seaside, Great Aunt Maud's (delete as appropriate) at your convenience.

HGVs are being used for entirely commercial purposes - to move product from place A to place B.

You can't compare commercial use with private use - the motives are totally different.

Lucan

Established Member
So please explain to me how the railways - already at capacity - are going to deliver the goods to my local Tesco without incurring massive costs ? The railways are fine for shipping large quantities of bulky products from one point to another. They are not in any way efficient at delivering smaller quantities or handling multiple drops.
The rails don't need to go in through Tesco's back door. As you say, smaller lorries and vans are best for most last-leg distribution. Do you know - that is what the railways did once, with their own fleet of local delivery trucks from goods yards. And that is what a lot of the road haulage industry does today, using large lorries for long haul to localised distribution depot/warehouses (there is a big one near me, Tesco are there as it happens, right next to a railway as it happens) for re-loading onto local distribution trucks.

What killed that business with the railways was the unnecessarily large number of goods yards (one at every station practically) after horses and hand barrows were replaced by vans and trucks. But the old yards were kept on, uneconomically, because they were legally required - so there was no point in modernising the system until, with greater powers, Beeching simply closed them as money drains.

A0wen

On Moderation
The rails don't need to go in through Tesco's back door. As you say, smaller lorries and vans are best for most last-leg distribution. Do you know - that is what the railways did once, with their own fleet of local delivery trucks from goods yards. And that is what a lot of the road haulage industry does today, using large lorries for long haul to localised distribution depot/warehouses (there is a big one near me, Tesco are there as it happens, right next to a railway as it happens) for re-loading onto local distribution trucks.

What killed that business with the railways was the unnecessarily large number of goods yards (one at every station practically) after horses and hand barrows were replaced by vans and trucks. But the old yards were kept on, uneconomically, because they were legally required - so there was no point in modernising the system until, with greater powers, Beeching simply closed them as money drains.

Which means you'll still have large - in some cases double-deck - trailers doing deliveries. Because that's what will be needed to make it efficient. For the likes of Tesco, with perishable items which need to be temperature controlled, the railways can't even begin to offer a viable service. They can just about offer something where you have non-perishable goods arriving in containers from the Far East or Eastern Europe - but even then it will be shipped from the container to a 'Hub' warehouse which in turn will break that bulk down to deliveries for a group of stores. The railway network can't operate logistics in that way - it would be better to keep them focussed on what they need to do now, not trying to get them to do other stuff which they won't do very well.

Lucan

Established Member
Your private car is there for you and your wife to transport private individuals to / from Waitrose, the seaside, Great Aunt Maud's (delete as appropriate) at your convenience. HGVs are being used for entirely commercial purposes - to move product from place A to place B.
I have a big estate car in the top car VED group because I live in the sticks and carry a lot of stuff. The other day it was a dozen fence posts, last week building blocks, there is always something to fill it. The lorry that delivered that stuff to the builders merchants was commercial, but when I take it onwards I am not - makes sense? How about people driving cars to work versus lorries delivering party poppers?

In essence, you are admitting that lorries are subsidised.

A0wen

On Moderation
I have a big estate car in the top car VED group because I live in the sticks and carry a lot of stuff. The other day it was a dozen fence posts, last week building blocks, there is always something to fill it. The lorry that delivered that stuff to the builders merchants was commercial, but when I take it onwards I am not - makes sense? .

Yes - go and look at the definition of commercial.

The lorry is delivering them to a commercial outlet.

You are not moving them to a commercial outlet, you are buying a subset of what that lorry has delivered for private consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.