• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Bash costs £200,000 plus Infrastructure Costs in General

Status
Not open for further replies.

david1212

Established Member
First I have searched and not found a thread about this but if I have missed it please move this post.

This bridge bash in Leamington Spa occurred a couple of months ago but I have just read that the cost has been reported to be £200,000. Note the linked page below wrongly gives the location as Kenilworth. The route is not just freight but the Leaminton Spa - Coventry line used by Cross-country and the local service serving Kenilworth station.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/...amage-to-railway-bridge-on-key-freight-route/

While there will have been inspections and temporary support was needed the cost seems excessive.

The published cost for a basic footbridge is typically £500,000. Adding two towers with lifts is another £500,000.

The access to Stechford station was improved as part of the Access for All scheme. The cost was almost £4m.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/stechford-station-has-lift-off-accessibility-transformation-reaches-major-milestone/

I understand that there are specific railway requirements and regulations plus much work can only be carried out either overnight or with a possession but generally all these costs seem very high.

Even the Assisted Travel Lounge at New Street Station cost £175,000. Here not even an issue with only being able to work overnight.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stories/access-for-all-assisted-travel-lounge-opens-in-birmingham/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
First I have searched and not found a thread about this but if I have missed it please move this post.

This bridge bash in Leamington Spa occurred a couple of months ago but I have just read that the cost has been reported to be £200,000. Note the linked page below wrongly gives the location as Kenilworth. The route is not just freight but the Leaminton Spa - Coventry line used by Cross-country and the local service serving Kenilworth station.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/...amage-to-railway-bridge-on-key-freight-route/

While there will have been inspections and temporary support was needed the cost seems excessive.

The published cost for a basic footbridge is typically £500,000. Adding two towers with lifts is another £500,000.

The access to Stechford station was improved as part of the Access for All scheme. The cost was almost £4m.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/...ility-transformation-reaches-major-milestone/

I understand that there are specific railway requirements and regulations plus much work can only be carried out either overnight or with a possession but generally all these costs seem very high.

Even the Assisted Travel Lounge at New Street Station cost £175,000. Here not even an issue with only being able to work overnight.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stories/access-for-all-assisted-travel-lounge-opens-in-birmingham/

I am unsure of the point being made. The comparison with other bridges or structures is not, as they say, comparing apples and apples. Consider home maintenance. How much does an out of hours plumber cost compared with a planned and booked plumbing job?

The mention of freight is because that is a priority during the current crisis. It is also worth noting this is a press release designed for general consumption and the impact on delay of vital freight at a time of crisis because of some silly wagon driver will "play" better than setting out exactly which TOC was delayed.

Veteran Member
The cost quoted presumably includes payment to train operators for delays while the line was closed (or even speed restricted?).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The cost quoted presumably includes payment to train operators for delays while the line was closed (or even speed restricted?).

Nope the £200k was the cost of the emergency engineering to prop it up and the repairs necessary.

HLE

Established Member
That stopped the job on that line for a couple of days from memory.

It wasn't just the freight that was disrupted. The hourly XC & WMT services were also stopped.

Veteran Member
Nope the £200k was the cost of the emergency engineering to prop it up and the repairs necessary.
OK thanks.
The viaduct is required to bear pretty heavy loads (22.5t axle-load?) and on two tracks simultaneously so I don't find the cost exceptional.

Metal_gee_man

This is why the network rail MOMs need to get to site ASAP to catch the driver in question, I can see the Lorries insurance company having a huge bill landing in their mailbox after £200k in emergency repairs, I can't see that rail users/taxpayers/network rail should pick up the bill for something that expensive when someone can't read a bloody height sign

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is why the network rail MOMs need to get to site ASAP to catch the driver in question, I can see the Lorries insurance company having a huge bill landing in their mailbox after £200k in emergency repairs, I can't see that rail users/taxpayers/network rail should pick up the bill for something that expensive when someone can't read a bloody height sign

I may have said this umpteen times before, but if the vehicle is identified, then NR goes after the insurers. One of my friends used to do exactly that job, and brought in well over a million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.