• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Bash Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
There was some talk a few years ago about installing "Bridge Bash" detectors on some vulnerable structures. Does anyone know if that came to anything and if so, what kind of kit is fitted and who gets the warning of a bash?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
There are various types, but they mainly detect impact through motion or vibration detectors. The alarm goes to the controlling signalbox

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There’s also some equipped with cameras and alignment markers that can enable the line to be reopened (usually at caution) remotely, without the need for a qualified bridge inspector to go to site.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
And others that have a detector on the approach which lights up a sign warning the driver of the high vehicle to stop.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thanks, that's very helpful. Any examples of the ones fitted to the structure and linked to the signal box?

Personally, I’ve never heard of these. But that’s not to say they don’t exist.

eMeS

BBC TV "Afternoon Live" have just carried a report about a Network Rail bridge on the A5 near Hinkley getting hit again. Being a mere car driver, I can't understand why some sort of physical height warning barrier isn't installed a short distance from the "low" bridge.

Spartacus

Established Member
Many bridges are fitted with protection beams these days, but they're often only a few inches away normally, the one on the A5 has them further away but the bridge will still need checking. Moving them much further away brings in questions about 'obstructing the carriageway', but from a practical point of view (as well as safety) a beam right in front of the bridge, perhaps mounted on abutment extensions as per the A5, if dislodged will at worst hit the bridge. If it's a freestanding structure there's every chance it might come down on top of traffic.

nbdm

The one on the A5 does actually have a warning sign (westbound) which is triggered if the vehicle is too high, there are sensors further up the road, then this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/L5iurdoWrRq9Hubs5
The sign warns the vehicle to turn around, there is a roundabout just before the bridge which gives the opportunity to do so.

It amazes me how often bridges are struck, despite very clear warnings in most cases.

vlad

This bridge (on the A5006 just north of Stoke station) is struck fairly often, despite the road signs warning of the low bridge and the yellow markings on the bridge itself. It's got metal beams either side so if you're overheight you'll hit the beam rather than the bridge but it still causes chaos (to road and rail) if someone does hit it.

To be honest, if you stopped every vehicle approaching the bridge and told the driver what the bridge height was and threatening of fines and disqualification if he did hit it, you'd still get bridge strikes!

Trainfan344

Established Member
This bridge (on the A5006 just north of Stoke station) is struck fairly often, despite the road signs warning of the low bridge and the yellow markings on the bridge itself. It's got metal beams either side so if you're overheight you'll hit the beam rather than the bridge but it still causes chaos (to road and rail) if someone does hit it.

To be honest, if you stopped every vehicle approaching the bridge and told the driver what the bridge height was and threatening of fines and disqualification if he did hit it, you'd still get bridge strikes!

It even got hit by a boat once!

Spartacus

Established Member
It even got hit by a boat once!

'Best' one I've seen was not long ago at Derby, bridge hit by a train! I can't remember if it was going in or out of Etches Park but for some reason a meridian on a low loader went under the low bridge, heaven knows why they didn't use the other bridge-free road!

Elecman

Established Member
Thanks, that's very helpful. Any examples of the ones fitted to the structure and linked to the signal box?
Disley Redhouse Lane But has since been removed, also the overbridge near Blackthorn near Bicester but that too has now also been removed and replaced with a laser and overnight illuminated sign arrangement

Trainfan344

Established Member
Goodness knows how, as if you were travelling from Keele services to Rudyard Lake you wouldn't go that way.

Mr May was quite lost... Plus I'm sure the episode wouldn't be the same without that incident

'Best' one I've seen was not long ago at Derby, bridge hit by a train! I can't remember if it was going in or out of Etches Park but for some reason a meridian on a low loader went under the low bridge, heaven knows why they didn't use the other bridge-free road!

Drive didn't sign that route?.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.