• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Strike at Machynlleth (01/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think that you need to appreciate the concept of 'drive on sight'. It's actually quite standard.
I agree... but that also means that you stop short of any obstruction. If a diversion is in place that involves a low bridge and your vehicle is too tall for it, then it's up to you to find an alternative route that you can fit down. Drivers of large vehicles are usually professionals after all.

If an emergency closure means that vehicles are sent along an inappropriate route, then that is a problem and there maybe needs to be a system in place that prevents this happening. But ultimately it is the driver's responsibility to stop before any obstruction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'd disagree with that - given the large numbers of trucks on the road, and the low number of bridge strikes, I'd say that a huge percentage of drivers are driving correctly and within the laws and regulations
Though plenty seem to think that tailgating on motorways is perfectly acceptable, mainly through roadworks with a speed restriction. An HGV at 50 mph takes in the region of 200 feet to stop. I've had plenty so close behind that I can't even see the number plate in my rear view mirror.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Though plenty seem to think that tailgating on motorways is perfectly acceptable, mainly through roadworks with a speed restriction. An HGV at 50 mph takes in the region of 200 feet to stop. I've had plenty so close behind that I can't even see the number plate in my rear view mirror.
Aren't we now getting a bit away from a bridge at Machynlleth......?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Aren't we now getting a bit away from a bridge at Machynlleth......?
Merely pointing out that lots of lorry drivers aren't as professional as they are meant to be. Thus it's no surprise that there are so many bridge bashes.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
They'll be able to see the road in front of you is clear and you have no reason to stop. Part of their training is to maintain a steady constant speed and avoid unnecessary braking, so they'll gently ease off instead.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder of the topic of this thread, which is the bridge strike at Machynlleth.

js1000

A tipper truck has hit a bridge in Machynlleth. Buses are running between Newtown and Aberystwyth/ Tywyn.
This is the second bridge strike in the area in the last fortnight.

More pics are on the Daily Post site - https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a487-shut-trains-disrupted-21452079

E-Lue5aXIAQjdyx
As "accidental" bridge strikes go, what an creative effort by the driver. 10/10

Meole

This was a freak accident rather than an error in assessing the height, the vehicle would pass under the bridge without an issue in its standard driving position, unfortunately some drivers set off with their tipper still descending to save time and get on with their next load.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
This was a freak accident rather than an error in assessing the height, the vehicle would pass under the bridge without an issue in its standard driving position, unfortunately some drivers set off with their tipper still descending to save time and get on with their next load.
The vehicles need an interlock so they cannot move until the tipper is right down and fastened. Not a freak accident, they doubtless do it every day as you mention.

Meole

The vehicles need an interlock so they cannot move until the tipper is right down and fastened. Not a freak accident, they doubtless do it every day as you mention.
Industry is against such interlock device as it would inhibit fast turnaround on non public sites i.e. quarries and civil engineering projects.

Ediswan

Established Member
I'm fairly sure I have seen them tipping while moving in order to spread out the load.

DelW

Established Member

I'm fairly sure I have seen them tipping while moving in order to spread out the load.
For anything other than small (4 wheel) tippers, it's necessary to move forward with the body raised to empty it. The load is usually too large a volume to deposit in a single heap.

Of course that should be done at very low speed, so a speed-sensitive interlock would still be possible.

1955LR

For anything other than small (4 wheel) tippers, it's necessary to move forward with the body raised to empty it. The load is usually too large a volume to deposit in a single heap.

Of course that should be done at very low speed, so a speed-sensitive interlock would still be possible.
Tippers used when Tarmac laying , reverse whilst tipping into the hopper that is continually moving especially on long runs like Motorways, but it is part of the job. A speed interlock sounds a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.