• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridgend [BGN] to Heathrow Airport [HXX] - found cheaper ways to do this journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii2468

I am planning to travel from Bridgend to Heathrow central rail station on 16th August and I found the cheapest train for £22 which departs at 12:00 via Reading, Hayes & Harlington. However, for the same date and trains, if I split the purchase into two : Bridgend to Hayes & Harlington for £12, Hayes & Harlington - HXX by heathrow connect for £5.2, total sum is £17.2 which is a £4.8 save per person. :D

As I would just lag behind my next train for 2 mins (have to wait for the next one in Hayes & Harlington for 28 mins), I worked out an even cheaper option that I just simply take the bus 140 for £1.35 with an oyster card ( journey is 14 mins and frequency every 8 mins) by which I arrived 20 mins in Terminal 3 earlier than by rail.:lol:

There are loads of combinations to travel to Healthrow airport, whether via London Paddington + Heathrow Express or Connect, Reading + National Express or not but I think mine is the cheapest possible at £13.35.

PS: It's very annoying that it seems that Heathrow Express is deemed as the default service when connecting a train to Heathrow Airport at Paddington. I would think that most non-Londoner won't know the exist cheaper Heathrow connect. <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The 140 bus provides some very useful connections and is likely to be the cheapest option. Like you said, especially if you have just missed a departure on the half-hourly Heathrow Connect, the bus could get you to the airport before the next train even leaves.

Unfortunately inclusive travel involving that stretch of line between Airport Junction and Heathrow Airport does seem to incur some premium and can usually be bettered pricewise by other means.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Bear in mind that for a Heathrow-Brigdend journey, you should give plenty of time to make your connexion at Hayes if travelling by bus, is you'd not be covered for delays like you would by rail. (And of course you should give plenty of time anyway if using Advances in card your flight is late).

Wolfie

Established Member
Unfortunately inclusive travel involving that stretch of line between Airport Junction and Heathrow Airport does seem to incur some premium and can usually be bettered pricewise by other means.

BAA paid for and own that stretch of line and want the return on their investment......

Status
Not open for further replies.