• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Briefing Bingo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
In order to slightly quell the monotony of not being able to pursue all of my usual interests, I've been doing a lot more of - among other things - writing code; something I've always enjoyed but never done as much as I'd have liked. I could talk at length about this but I'm sure it would be boring so I'll get to the point.

I've seen the phenomenon of "Boris briefing bingo" crop up a few times now (basically the idea is that you have a bingo card with the things Boris and co always say in their briefings, and see how many you can tick off!) and it gave me an idea. My plan is to write a browser-based application which randomly generates a bingo card from a list of commonly used words/phrases and allows you to electronically cross them off as you watch the briefing, just for a bit of fun... a simple project in my opinion, but one I think I'll enjoy. (Said application is now up at https://www.pythonmegapixel.com/boris-briefing-bingo but suggestions would still be welcome)

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for words/phrases that I could include in this (or indeed any suggestions about the project in general)!
Examples I've thought of already include "alas", "deeply sorry", "stick to the rules" etc.

And if anyone fancies using this thread to share pictures of their bingo cards (there are some already available for now, or you can come up with your own!), feel free - but I'd prefer if general ranting about the content of the briefings could be kept out of this thread if possible.

Note - the intention of this thread is certainly not to trivialise the impacts of Covid or the lockdown measures, whether physical or mental, and I sincerely apologise if anyone finds this thread to be in poor taste. But personally, I find that relentless mockery and parody of the measures and the politicians behind them is one of the only things keeping me going at the moment, hence the idea for this project.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
'Unprecedented' crops up a lot but not as much now, so that might be a good one to put on a bingo card. It might or might not come up...

Freightmaster

Established Member
There are quite a few 'Boris Bingo Cards' on Social Media - I like this handwritten one:

Eq6AqpbXYAM1-a1.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
"From tonight" or "From one minute past midnight on [insert day]" seemed to be popular near the end of last year, but not so much in recent weeks. I like the idea of making something browser-based for the game; I might see if I can steal your idea (if that's alright) and bodge it in Python?

-Peter :)

py_megapixel

Established Member
"From tonight" or "From one minute past midnight on [insert day]" seemed to be popular near the end of last year, but not so much in recent weeks. I like the idea of making something browser-based for the game; I might see if I can steal your idea (if that's alright) and bodge it in Python?

-Peter :)
You can try and bodge it in Python if you like :) - I was going to make a something in HTML/JavaScript which runs in a web browser, which I thought might be more convenient for the average user.

Peter C

Established Member
You can try and bodge it in Python if you like :) - I was going to make a something in HTML/JavaScript which runs in a web browser, which I thought might be more convenient for the average user.
Thanks :) HTML and JavaScript definitely sounds better for usability than Python: the advantage of HTML is that people are also more familiar with webpages than code terminals!

-Peter

Yew

Established Member
React is fun!

py_megapixel

Established Member
'Unprecedented' crops up a lot but not as much now, so that might be a good one to put on a bingo card. It might or might not come up...
We've got to have "Next slide please", surely ;)
Thanks :) HTML and JavaScript definitely sounds better for usability than Python: the advantage of HTML is that people are also more familiar with webpages than code terminals!

-Peter
React is fun!
If it's of interest to any of you, it's now up at https://www.pythonmegapixel.com/boris-briefing-bingo with a limited selection of words/phrases

Any further suggestions/feedback would be welcome; please let me know!

A.Butler

"Critical","Vital","Top priority" and all with "Total transparency" all make me grimace!

Perhaps you could add "Teething troubles" to that?

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
I had the 'introduction of a pointless fine' on my card last night - of course they had to wait til today to announce it. :lol:

SoccerHQ

The Sir Patrick Vallance have a quick shot special "We just don't know yet."

bramling

Veteran Member
In order to slightly quell the monotony of not being able to pursue all of my usual interests, I've been doing a lot more of - among other things - writing code; something I've always enjoyed but never done as much as I'd have liked. I could talk at length about this but I'm sure it would be boring so I'll get to the point.

I've seen the phenomenon of "Boris briefing bingo" crop up a few times now (basically the idea is that you have a bingo card with the things Boris and co always say in their briefings, and see how many you can tick off!) and it gave me an idea. My plan is to write a browser-based application which randomly generates a bingo card from a list of commonly used words/phrases and allows you to electronically cross them off as you watch the briefing, just for a bit of fun... a simple project in my opinion, but one I think I'll enjoy. (Said application is now up at https://www.pythonmegapixel.com/boris-briefing-bingo but suggestions would still be welcome)

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for words/phrases that I could include in this (or indeed any suggestions about the project in general)!
Examples I've thought of already include "alas", "deeply sorry", "stick to the rules" etc.

And if anyone fancies using this thread to share pictures of their bingo cards (there are some already available for now, or you can come up with your own!), feel free - but I'd prefer if general ranting about the content of the briefings could be kept out of this thread if possible.

Note - the intention of this thread is certainly not to trivialise the impacts of Covid or the lockdown measures, whether physical or mental, and I sincerely apologise if anyone finds this thread to be in poor taste. But personally, I find that relentless mockery and parody of the measures and the politicians behind them is one of the only things keeping me going at the moment, hence the idea for this project.

Superb!

How about “we must get this virus down”?

And of course some random date for when it will be sent packing.

No they don't bother with end dates any more, that implies this will one day end.

Can I suggest a more appropriate bingo entry would be 'it's too soon to do xyz'.

py_megapixel

Established Member
In addition to those quoted below, I'd like to wholeheartedly thank everyone who has provided feedback so far for being so supportive- it's very nice to hear that you find it good to use!

This is brilliant!
Thanks for the kind feedback! :)

That's brilliant!

How about one for Dr Doom and Professor Gloom as well?
The idea as that the one site could serve all of the different cabinet minister's briefings, as they all tend to say similar things really!

However, if anyone happens to find that the particular card you've been generated is poorly aligned with whoever's delivering the briefing, I've now added a "generate new card" button in the bottom right which does exactly that. If you're on a very small screen (e.g. a smaller mobile phone) you might find that it cuts off the last few letters of "generate" but the button should still work correctly. If there are any further issues please let me know, though I might not be able to fix them immediately.

How about Hancock's TLA for Professor Jonathan Van Tam - JVT ?
Does he actually say that out loud? I hadn't really noticed that!

Thanks very much!

How about “we must get this virus down”?

"We must..." is already an option... they seem to have given up on spewing out random dates now. Which in a way is a good thing, but it does also deprive me of something to put on the card...

Can I suggest a more appropriate bingo entry would be 'it's too soon to do xyz'.
"To soon to..." was already an option I believe.

"We must"

"Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives"

"um...um....um...."
"um" is now added, as is "We must".
Do they ever say the "Stay Alert" thing out loud? I already have it as an option for it being written on a placard.

Bessie

I like this. New words to add (if not already) could be - new variant, stop the spread, hotel quarantine, Great British holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.