• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove / Metrobus Discussion

Established Member
The latest happening on the Brighton & Hove bus scene is that 30 Alexander Dennis Enviro 400ER buses have entered service on routes 5, 5A and 5B which will switch, by geographical enforcement, to zero emissions in the ULEZ between Old Steine and Palmeria Square.

These are looking very dapper and will give the much needed capacity increase, and speedier boardings (as they have two doors) on the 5/5A/5B.

The question is these buses are replacing Gemini 2s from 2013, where are they going? I have noticed them going around the company but they don't seem to have taken formed a proper allocation on any specific routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cphilb

Is there any news about Brighton and Hove's night buses, including the N12 and N14, returning to their pre-pandemic timetable after July 19th? I hope the N12 and N14 are not going to be quietly dropped.

Hophead

Established Member
Nothing that I know of (though I'm no better informed than the next person). However, Stagecoach's N700 returns next week running hourly on Friday & Saturday nights.

Aictos

Established Member
Any idea why some buses have the red and cream livery while others have a green livery based livery?

Any idea why some buses have the red and cream livery while others have a green livery based livery?
The red and cream livery is the ordinary livery. The green livery is the special livery for the 12 12A 12X 13X routes. The blue livery is the special livery advertising the hybrid buses on the 1 1A 5 5A 5B N1 N5 routes.

Volvodart

Established Member
20 Wrightbus hydrogen single-deckers for Metrobus Fastway

https://www.route-one.net/news/20-wrightbus-hydrogen-single-deckers-for-metrobus-fastway/

By routeone Team -November 4, 2021
20 Wrightbus GB Kite Hydroliners for Metrobus Fastway services
Go-Ahead has placed a long-anticipated order for 20 Wrightbus GB Kite Hydroliner single-deckers for its Metrobus subsidiary’s Fastway BRT network around Crawley, Redhill and Gatwick Airport. They will enter service from June 2022 and represent the group’s first venture into hydrogen power.

Part funding for the purchase has come from the Department for Transport’s Ultra Low Emission Bus Scheme and the European Union’s JIVE2 project. Go-Ahead is pursuing what it describes as “a second tranche of a further 34,” which if completed has the potential to create Europe’s largest fleet of hydrogen fuel cell-electric buses.

Metrobus and Brighton and Hove Managing Director Martin Harris says that hydrogen power “provides the most efficient replacement” for those fleets’ diesel buses thanks to challenging terrain, 24hr operation and duty cycles that cover up to 370 miles per day. The GB Kite Hydroliner can cover up to 640 miles between refuelling, Wrightbus announced at the model’s launch.

Go-Ahead Group Chief Executive David Brown adds: “This is a significant milestone for Go-Ahead as we work towards our goal of a zero-emission fleet by 2035. These buses will be clean, green and will provide a comfortable journey for passengers.

“New technology is only one piece of the puzzle, though, in addressing climate change. We also need to encourage a large-scale change in behaviour by persuading people to switch from cars to walking, cycling and public transport.” The Metrobus GB Kite Hydroliners for Fastway will complement almost 300 battery-electric buses in Go-Ahead’s fleet nationwide.

Wrightbus Executive Chairman Jo Bamford has welcomed the order. He adds that the StreetDeck Hydroliner hydrogen fuel cell-electric double-deckers that are in service with other operators have already prevented 1m kg of CO2 from entering the atmosphere.

MotCO

Established Member
What a mistake to order single decker for Fastway routes 10 and 20. I used to live near Crawley and these routes get very busy. Metrobus should have ordered double deckers

Are there any height restrictions on the route?

cnjb8

Established Member
What a mistake to order single decker for Fastway routes 10 and 20. I used to live near Crawley and these routes get very busy. Metrobus should have ordered double deckers
Could be planning a fleet increase, though I’m not familiar with the current fleet, how many are there?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Could be planning a fleet increase, though I’m not familiar with the current fleet, how many are there?

There are a total of 22 Fastway 10 and 20 branded buses. 18 of them are 14 reg Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse 2s, whilst the other 4 are 15 and 17 reg Volvo B8RLE Wright Eclipse 3s

cnjb8

Established Member
There are a total of 22 Fastway 10 and 20 branded buses. 18 of them are 14 reg Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse 2s, whilst the other 4 are 15 and 17 reg Volvo B8RLE Wright Eclipse 3s
Thank you, maybe they could be keeping some diesel buses on? No doubt demand is probably reduced due to Covid

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Thank you, maybe they could be keeping some diesel buses on? No doubt demand is probably reduced due to Covid

Two of them (most likely I think they will be the 17 regs) are staying. The other 20 I think will be used on the 1, 3 and 23 replacing the last non Fastway 100 single decker OmniCities still in service.

AB93

Some routes are better at higher frequencies with single deckers, to avoid being horrendously slowed down by the dwell times of deckers. The 10 is definitely one of them.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Some routes are better at higher frequencies with single deckers, to avoid being horrendously slowed down by the dwell times of deckers. The 10 is definitely one of them.

I see, well in this case, wouldn't it be better to order bendy buses instead? (Only problem is that there are some tight sections around Broadfield, but other than that)

Murray J

I see, well in this case, wouldn't it be better to order bendy buses instead? (Only problem is that there are some tight sections around Broadfield, but other than that)
also probably would be difficult to fit into Crawley Bus Station. CBS gets clogged with buses at the best of times, adding bendy buses into the mix, clogging up at least 2 stands for 1 bus would make the situation significantly worse. I don't live in Crawley so can't speak for the rest of the roads in the area but I have a feeling they may pose a similar challenge.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Bendy buses will go round tight corners better than long rigids.

Mikey C

Established Member
Not if you have a middle door

Established Member
Lots of small tidbits on the B&H front lately...

I don't know if anyone spotted any of the extras that were running on the Regency 28s between Brighton and Lewes on Bonfire Night? Lots of interesting vehicles including Brighton & Hove putting out Streetdecks from various depots and a number of subcontractor companies from across Sussex helping out with the extra buses. I observed some Southdown PSV, Compass Bus and Seaford & District buses to name a few out and about, of varying ages and models! Was very interesting to see. Southdown also went through the effort of putting next stop announcements for the 28 which I thought was a lovely touch.

Also Streetdecks 801 - 808 are being refurbished and re-liveried for the 27 however rather interestingly the aqua coloured 27 brand has been dropped in favour of branding the 27 as a 'Coaster local' service akin to the 12s but with a revised (imo, less sharper) livery. The livery doesn't seem to fit the rather bulky Streetdeck body too well. I don't have a picture to hand but I imagine there may be one on the Buses website.

A couple of 17reg Streetdecks also de-branded from route 7 and now in generic BH4 livery I understand as these are now working both the 2 and 7.

5B now serving Varley Park in the actual grounds of Varley Park itself which I understand has been a long term ambition but the road surface until recently was of a very poor quality with buses on test regularly scraping the road quite badly or even grounding themselves. The university had to pay for resurfacing works to enable buses to operate safely. It may be a case that the 24 is also re-routed at a later date but this is yet to be seen.

N1 now running in both directions throughout the night back to Brighton Station too which is good to see ... the bus runs in a one way loop via Mile Oak and Downs Park and then goes non stop back to Portslade as I understand it.

Mikey C

Established Member
You still have the time of everyone traipsing up and down the stairs.
London never seems to find that a problem. Few people upstairs wait until the bus has stopped before moving down the stairs

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Just come back from five days in Brighton, nothing worth noting except the striking livery on 823 and 824 for the 77/78/79. What happens with these in the week?

Hophead

Established Member
Just come back from five days in Brighton, nothing worth noting except the striking livery on 823 and 824 for the 77/78/79. What happens with these in the week?

They run out on pretty much any other route, though principally the Ditchling Road group.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
NOTICES AND PROCEEDINGS (publishing.service.gov.uk)

I notice that most if not all Metrobus (Crawley) routes have been deregistered, and the registrations taken up by Brighton & Hove. Too many to check whether it covers all routes. Not 'hold the front page' stuff but a moderately interesting tidying up (and presumably a little bit of overtime changing the registration details on the buses a week before Christmas).

duncombec

I notice that most if not all Metrobus (Crawley) routes have been deregistered, and the registrations taken up by Brighton & Hove. Too many to check whether it covers all routes. Not 'hold the front page' stuff but a moderately interesting tidying up (and presumably a little bit of overtime changing the registration details on the buses a week before Christmas).
Brighton & Hove have managed Metrobus for a while, and this is, as you say, a tidying up exercise. LOTS reported last month that this was happening, but there is not expected to be any change to the public-facing side of the business, with both brands operating as they have done up to now.

Murray J

I believe registration details have already been changed. A few weeks back a piece of paper was put in the window of all buses saying "services operated by Brighton & Hove on behalf of Metrobus" but I believe most if not all buses now have B&H legals.