• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Bedford Return Child Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In such circumstances, I would hope that a TIR would be completed and an issuing error reported, however if no contract between the pasenger and the issuing TOC has been formed then there is no obligation to do this. This is a similar issue to any permitted groupsave discounted tickets which are not valid on Cross Country..
I completely disagree with this.

If I buy a York-Micklefield CDR, have I "formed a contract with XC"? The ticket is not valid on XC so no doubt you will say no.

If I buy a Micklefield-Leeds Season, have I "formed a contract with XC"? The ticket is not valid on XC so no doubt you will say no.

But the combination is valid on XC.

The "but you don't have a contract with XC" argument is completely null & void due to the existence of RSP, the TSA, the franchise commitments of XC, etc.

The argument you use could be used in the bus industry where there is no such framework, but it is a null & void & irrelevant argument in the rail industry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
I would argue that you have formed a contract with XC. See the introduction to the NRCoC:
"When you buy a ticket to travel on scheduled services on the National Rail Network you make an agreement with the Train Companies whose trains the ticket allows you to use."
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc/NRCOC.pdf

Clearly, if you buy a Micklefield-Leeds season, you are allowed to use a XC service, provided you also buy a Micklefield-York ticket. Thus you have entered into an agreement with XC.

In the event of a ticket valid only on certain operators, there is no way for that ticket to become valid on the services of another operator, even if you pay an excess or buy an additional ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.