• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Edgeware Road (London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atha Cliath

Forgive me as this is my first post...

I have just got a job in London and will soon become a lemming who will commute to London 5 days a week (Mon-Fri). I have not travelled regularly to London previously so can somebody give me some advice on the best and cheapest train fares to purchase.

Would I be better off with a monthly ticket instead of a season ticket and try and base the purchase around when I take holidays?
If I buy a season ticket do I have to give them notice of cancellation and is there a charge?
Can you buy a 5 day weekly ticket as opposed to a 7 day weekly ticket?
Are there any discount cards that I could use when purchasing?

Any help from somebody in the know would be much apprciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There are no 5 day seasons that I am aware of. Or discount cards. This is because season tickets are already heavily discounted compared tot he daily tickets...some would say too much so!

As aan annual season ticket costs the same as 40 7 day seasons, unless you have over 12 weeks holiday per year then you should get an annual...

Remember you can use it between any stations on the route as well as commuting, which means you can use it for leisure purposes as well as weekends. In addition, in the Souht East your annual ticket also acts as a Gold Card, which gives you extra benefits such as cheap weekend first class upgrades.

If you stop using your season due to redundancy or ill health, you should take it back to the station of issue straight away for a refund. All you will lose is the admin fee, but the refund will be calculated on whatever use you have had out of the ticket. Eg if you have used it for three months, your refund will be the difference between the price of the annual and the three monthly season, less the admin fee.

philjo

Established Member
Does your employer offer season ticket loans?

I got an interest-free loan from work for the cost of the annual ticket & pay it back in 11 installments through the monthly payroll, but at a lower cost than it would be if I had bought monthly tickets (even allowing for the periods when I am away on holiday).

clagmonster

Established Member
In monthlies, you can get either an FCC ticket from Brighton to zone r1256 zones, route FCC only for £330.30, or any permitted for £390.60. In annuals, these cost £3440 and £4068 respectively. If you get the FCC only ticket, you must travel on FCC services between Brighton and the zone 6 boundary. As well as acting as a season Brighton-Edgware Rd, these tickets also act as an all zones travelcard.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:idea: One other thing. An annual all zones travelcard season ticket from Havant to London zones R1256 (Route Hassocks/Horsham) also costs £4068, and should be valid for use at Brighton, but also and gives some opportunities for "free" leisure time travel along the West Coastway line between Brighton and Havant.

paul1609

Established Member
:idea: One other thing. An annual all zones travelcard season ticket from Havant to London zones R1256 (Route Hassocks/Horsham) also costs £4068, and should be valid for use at Brighton, but also and gives some opportunities for "free" leisure time travel along the West Coastway line between Brighton and Havant.
Yep its valid at Brighton and also as far as Lewes along the East Coastway. It also opens up the route between Horsham and East and West Ewell.

Status
Not open for further replies.