• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Guildford -- is there a 4th type of fare based on routeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungaroosh

Hello,

I'm looking to do a Day Return from Brighton to Guildford on a Saturday or Sunday with a Network Railcard.

My understanding (possibly wrong) is that there are three types of fares based on route:
-- via Gomshall
-- via Clapham Junction
-- any permitted (presumably central London + tube)

Is there an option to buy a (cheap) ticket which allows for a choice of either of the first two -- both outward and return via either Gomshall or Clapham Junction, but not [central] London?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

colinz

You could buy a return ticket routed "not via Clapham Junction" and then get a change of route excess either the outward or return leg to "Clapham Junction".
This would cost 17.40 + (21.95-17.40)/2 = £19.65

Bungaroosh

You could buy a return ticket routed "not via Clapham Junction" and then get a change of route excess either the outward or return leg to "Clapham Junction".
This would cost 17.40 + (21.95-17.40)/2 = £19.65
Hmm. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Will this be something that every person behind the ticket desk in a train station would be familiar with?
Would "change of route excess" be the thing to ask for?
Thanks again.

Veteran Member
Hmm. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Will this be something that every person behind the ticket desk in a train station would be familiar with?
Would "change of route excess" be the thing to ask for?
In theory, yes, but in practice......
And yes.
However this commits you to doing the circuit in the direction you ask for.
The more expensive fare would be valid via Gomshall (or Sutton, for that matter), even though its routing implies otherwise.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You are entitled to pay the excess onboard the train, so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to find a booking office that will let you do it.

infobleep

Veteran Member
In theory, yes, but in practice......
And yes.
However this commits you to doing the circuit in the direction you ask for.
The more expensive fare would be valid via Gomshall (or Sutton, for that matter), even though its routing implies otherwise.
What happens if the routes are the same price?What if via Clapham Junction was the same as via Gomshall? I know this isn't the case here but I have found examples where it is. Would one always need a zero excess fare or would a ticket priced the same count as a cheaper route?

Another option would be to buy a return from Brighton to Ash (a little way past Guildford on the way to Reading) and just use it as far as Guildford.
Offpeak day return route Not Via London is £19.45 and is valid either via Gomshall or Clapham Junction.
On Sundays, the Sunday Out return is £16.50

Bungaroosh

Another option would be to buy a return from Brighton to Ash (a little way past Guildford on the way to Reading) and just use it as far as Guildford.
Offpeak day return route Not Via London is £19.45 and is valid either via Gomshall or Clapham Junction.
On Sundays, the Sunday Out return is £16.50
Much belated thanks for this – I'll be making use of this on Friday! (It's actually cheaper than a ticket to Guildford, even though it's further, and I'll be able to get an Evening Out Return, a ticket type until five minutes ago I never knew existed... :s

Jan Mayen

I guess I'm misreading the restrictions on this Sunday Out ticket, but it seems you can't use at at any time. Ever.
From BR Fares:

Outward Journey
Summary:
Valid at any time​

Time Restrictions
Restriction(s) below apply every day​
Not valid to depart​
any location​
at any time​
on any TOC​
Return Journey
Summary:
Valid at any time​

Time Restrictions
Not valid to depart​
any location​
at any time​
on any TOC​

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I guess I'm misreading the restrictions on this Sunday Out ticket, but it seems you can't use at at any time. Ever.
From BR Fares:

Outward Journey
Summary:
Valid at any time​

Time Restrictions
Not valid to depart​
any location​
at any time​
on any TOC​
Return Journey
Summary:
Valid at any time​

Time Restrictions
Not valid to depart​
any location​
at any time​
on any TOC​
Yes, look at the days on which it isn't permitted.
This restriction code applies ONLY on the following dates/days:

From Until
Applies on these days:
Sun 2 Jan 2022 Sat 31 Dec 2022
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
It is unrestricted on a Sunday (as the name suggests).

Status
Not open for further replies.