• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to London early train fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC2boy

Hullo

I've lurked on this site for some time and find it endlessly useful and interesting.

I've started needing to travel between Brighton and London a lot recently and perplexed by one fare rule:

I often buy a midweek one month open return in the evening London>Brighton and head to Brighton overnight. I then use the return element (Brighton>London) at some other point because I need to return to London from Brighton the following morning on a peak fare.

What I don't understand is why I can only buy a single peak from Brighton to London in the morning (admittedly I can buy a day return but I don't need to return that day). What I'd like to be able to do is purchase an open-return and use the return London>Brighton section after work the following week.

Am I missing an obvious trick, such as buying a return from Brighton to, say Luton, where I would be able to purchase an open return (and still be able to break my journey at City Thameslink).

Hope this isn't too trivial a question but I'm a little stumped.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome, good to hear you find the forum useful :)

You can get a West Hampstead Thameslink to Brighton, this is £28 SVR, there is no SOR, so no use if you want to leave Brighton "before 0930".

There is also a Southampton to Brighton Route Not London which is valid between Brighton & Clapham Junction at £22.40, again it isn't valid until 0930 and no SOR is available.

There is an SOR from Luton Airport Parkway but this is a rather ridiculous £64.00 :lol: A slightly cheaper, but still fairly useless, way of getting such a ticket would be a Peterborough to Brighton SSR at £56.50, this is unrestricted between London and Brighton.

In general there tend not to be SORs for journeys wholly within the "Network area".

tony_mac

Established Member
There is an anytime return (SOR) from Eastbourne to London, but this also costs more than two anytime single tickets from Brighton.

There is very little discount on that ticket from buying two anytime singles, it seems unlikely to me that you will find a cheap SOR in that area.

EC2boy

Blimey, I particularly like the Luton £64 mania. I think I'm stung then with the steeper morning singles. Thanks for the advice, though.

mathmo

I think Anytime Returns are usually priced the same as two Anytime Singles anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.