• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol/Bath to Newcastle/Sunderland (and back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
A friend at University has requested that I help him find a cheap way of travelling to Newcastle or Sunderland. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find anything that would beat flying, even if I push the limits a bit and go for tickets that are only valid on technicalities or similar.

Using perfectly reasonable routes, the best I can do is somewhere in the region of £95, but even this has one marginal ticket (it is eprmitted due to Break of Journey and Short Starting rules). By going right to the extreme and using tickets that would often land someone in hot water if they cannot prove their validity, I have managed to get this down to about £85.

I am led to believe that my friend has found plan tickets for as little as £60 or so. Without relying on Advances, can anyone get even close to this, or will my friend become another customer O'Leary and co.?

Please search only Open Returns with no Railcard. I would recommend he obtains one but unless he can get the Family & Friends card I don't think he is eligible for any of the range. Similarly, I have no concrete dates so Advances are out of the question.

Thank you all :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kryten2340

A friend at University has requested that I help him find a cheap way of travelling to Newcastle or Sunderland. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find anything that would beat flying, even if I push the limits a bit and go for tickets that are only valid on technicalities or similar.

Using perfectly reasonable routes, the best I can do is somewhere in the region of £95, but even this has one marginal ticket (it is eprmitted due to Break of Journey and Short Starting rules). By going right to the extreme and using tickets that would often land someone in hot water if they cannot prove their validity, I have managed to get this down to about £85.

I am led to believe that my friend has found plan tickets for as little as £60 or so. Without relying on Advances, can anyone get even close to this, or will my friend become another customer O'Leary and co.?

Please search only Open Returns with no Railcard. I would recommend he obtains one but unless he can get the Family & Friends card I don't think he is eligible for any of the range. Similarly, I have no concrete dates so Advances are out of the question.

Thank you all :)

Using a distant date of 27th April and returning the 29th I've got this to £58 outward and £36.50 return. Both direct trains from Bristol Temple Meads to Newcastle and back using Crosscountry.

Ivo

Established Member
Thank you, but it does say that Advances will not be of help. The fact that you've given different outward and return tickets suggests they are Advances.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Its a little unclear if the figures you've quoted are all for the single journey in the title or, as you state at the end, for a Return journey.

However, I have often examined fares for NCL - BRI and reached the same conclusions as you have : Return fares are over £100. I don't think you will be able to improve on that.
I tried just last week for a Newcastle - Frome return and got stuck around £110 - 130.
I have achieved reductions in the past by splitting at Lichfield, Cheltenham or Burton but it was only a couple of pounds or so.

Its quite a contrast with Advances, which can be a great saving on that journey, especially if choosing the equally quick if not quicker route between both points via London and the occasional 'special offers', which can bring the cost as low as £43 for the return journey.

Ivo

Established Member
The return is what I seek. I should have mentioned as much in the title.

I suspected the kind of response you have stated. It was certainly worth a try, but I honestly believed my suggestion would be tough to beat - certainly by the kind of margin that would beat air travel.

BorisWiffWaff

If your friend has no fixed dates then a £60 flight comparison is no more of a reflection of the cost than someone using random dates for 2 advance fares?

sonic2009

Established Member
Megabus? Most journeys can be booked either afternoon before depature?

34D

Established Member
A friend at University has requested

Please search only Open Returns with no Railcard. I would recommend he obtains one but unless he can get the Family & Friends card I don't think he is eligible for any of the range.

A student of any age can get a 16-25 railcard - may be some definition of eligible courses but I'm not sure.

Ivo

Established Member
I know I said a friend at University, but this friend is staff! He doesn't qualify for the 16-25 :lol:

If I knew the exact dates I probably wouldn't have bothered asking because it would merely be a case of playing around. Given I don't there isn't much I can do - just see if anyone could get well clear of my suggestion.

Nonetheless, thank you anyway :)

Ivo

Established Member
I'm assuming you've checked splitting and using GC from King's Cross?

The KGX to YRK leg is just too expensive. I don't think my friend would appreciate having to change regularly to keep the cost of that leg down - even GC Only is £85 (no cheaper than the absolute best I've found).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Grand Central Off-Peak KGX-SUN is £55 (their Anytime is £79). No changes required. Its quite competitive (compared to the only real competition, East Coast, whose Anytime is £150:50)

Status
Not open for further replies.