• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Harbour Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
I haven't been there on a running day for years now; lucky it's still running. When the new development which overlooks the line was being built, buyers suddenly realised their new homes were going to be next to a grubby steam railway and tried to get it closed and relocated. Forunately, sense prevailed and the harbourside railway remains, although the whole area is gradually being 'sanitised'.

Dennis

Established Member
Looks interesting.

It is well worth a visit because in addition to the railway itself, there is also the (free) Bristol Industrial Museum which is packed full of engineering related things from the Bristol area; these include Bristol vehicles, aircraft (including a section of Concorde mock-up), shipping etc etc.

NOTE - The industrial museum is due to close for refurbishment on 29th October this year and is being transformed into the Museum of Bristol. I understand that some of the larger transport related items like the Bristol Lodekka may not return to the museum as it looses some of its focus on the industrial past.

The BHR also passes the SS Great Britain, another attraction in it's own right.

A meet might be an idea....

It is well worth a visit because in addition to the railway itself, there is also the (free) Bristol Industrial Museum which is packed full of engineering related things from the Bristol area; these include Bristol vehicles, aircraft (including a section of Concorde mock-up), shipping etc etc.

NOTE - The industrial museum is due to close for refurbishment on 29th October this year and is being transformed into the Museum of Bristol. I understand that some of the larger transport related items like the Bristol Lodekka may not return to the museum as it looses some of its focus on the industrial past.

The BHR also passes the SS Great Britain, another attraction in it's own right.

A meet might be an idea....

I think anyone who wants to see the BHR should get down there on one of their running days soon as a guard told me that the BHR might not re-open after the redevolopment. :thumblef:

I think the BHR is running next month but I am not sure.

Dennis

Established Member
Forthcoming running days for the BHR are

23 & 24 September
7-10 October
21 & 22 October

And that seems to be it for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.