• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

freetoview33

Established Member
As it stands it looks like the 515 might stop on Saturday, travelwest says that abus will stop running it, but no news anywhere on what will happen to it then!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin2012

Today was the last day of ABUS operating the 52 and for their last journey they used an ex First vehicle T810LLC which was still in First branding.

I ended up marking the occasion by travelling on this journey to Hengrove Park and ended up being the only passenger traveling to the end of the route.

Then rode an inferior enviro on the 50 back to Broadmead and one of the ex Severn Express vehicles on the X49 back to Yate

DaveHarries

Established Member
Timetable for the A5 (Carmel Bristol) is now on Traveline.
Not sure if this was connected but 2x Enviro200 (non-MMC) passed me heading south on the M5 on Friday 18th. They were in overall white. I didn't get the registrations as I was going in the opposite direction.

Dave

jammy36

Not sure if this was connected but 2x Enviro200 (non-MMC) passed me heading south on the M5 on Friday 18th. They were in overall white. I didn't get the registrations as I was going in the opposite direction.

Dave

Possibly YX18KVR/S heading to Somerset for Hinkley work?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Since September, and the X8 for a couple of years before that.
Abus don't operate any X9s anymore, they switches from X9s to X8s last April. X9s are all operated by First's Weston Depot. Abus operate the X8 during the day time, with Weston operating a few morning and evening departures.

From next Saturday, Abus will operate the 349 on a Saturday with First's Marlborough Street depot operating the vast majority of the X8s instead of Abus and Bath depot on the X8.

CD

PH1066711/50 Cancelled
WESSEX BUS LTD

Route: University of Bath to University of Bath via Royal United Hospital

Service number: 20A (20C)

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 01 Sep 2018

swifty

Established Member
PH1066711/50 Cancelled
WESSEX BUS LTD

Route: University of Bath to University of Bath via Royal United Hospital

Service number: 20A (20C)

Effective date: 01 Sep 2018

The 42 surely can’t have a long future ahead now either?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The 42 surely can’t have a long future ahead now either?

And the 12 assuming that is still running.
Losing the 20 now seems a bit crap though, especially for those who are at Bath uni and ended up with a house in a location where they were planning to get the 20 - I do think when buses serve certain areas like the 20 does more notice should be required. And means a lot of Bath will lose a direct service to the hospital. Hopefully the council will come and save it (again I believe!).

carlberry

Established Member
And the 12 assuming that is still running.
Losing the 20 now seems a bit crap though, especially for those who are at Bath uni and ended up with a house in a location where they were planning to get the 20 - I do think when buses serve certain areas like the 20 does more notice should be required. And means a lot of Bath will lose a direct service to the hospital. Hopefully the council will come and save it (again I believe!).

The notice of possible change to the 20 was issued in January:
http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/consultations/public-consultation-contracts-supported-bus-services

It's future depends on what the council decided after the consultation.

Marcus Fryer

Not exactly a Bristol area independent, but at Bristol Parkway this morning on rail replacement standby is a tri-axle Leyland Olympian, registration F5 ELF, in pseudo NBC local express livery (white, red & black) and with the fleetname Poole Dorset Dekkabus. The legal lettering is National Distress Limited, Poole.
There are several pictures of this vehicle on SWT Rail Replacement work on Flickr.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Not exactly a Bristol area independent, but at Bristol Parkway this morning on rail replacement standby is a tri-axle Leyland Olympian, registration F5 ELF, in pseudo NBC local express livery (white, red & black) and with the fleetname Poole Dorset Deckerbus. The legal lettering is National Distress Limited, Poole.
You can imagine people queuing beside that, already annoyed as they're not on a train (some people don't appreciate rare Olympian mileage!!) then reading that and wondering what they're getting into!

WelshBluebird

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Fair enough, I managed to miss that. Still think it should have been clearer that the current operator was thinking of cancelling the service earlier though.
As for the councils decision - I'm assuming that isn't public yet!
The 20 is the lion's share of the BANES spend so you can see why it is under threat, especially as some of the route is extensively duplicated by stuff like the U2. The cancellation indicates that it won't survive in its current form but how it will look, will have to see

Marcus Fryer

You can imagine people queuing beside that, already annoyed as they're not on a train (some people don't appreciate rare Olympian mileage!!) then reading that and wondering what they're getting into!
It has been used to Newport - it was on the 16:45 from BPW, and has probably made more journeys than that.

CD

PH1094121/11 Cancelled
ABUS LTD

Route: Blagdon, Seymour Arms to Bristol, Union Street via Chew Magna

Service number: 672

Effective date: 02 Sep 2018

matt_splat

I beleve the U2 will run in two directions from September i guess we will find one will become a U3 the 5 now covers the top end of the 12 route the 701 could easily go all year round and cover the bottom end of the 12 @ the whiteway end

the 12 at the Bathampton end i guess could be replaced by a 700 / 716 / 734 style operation is it really that busy (this is assuming wessex will get rid)

i believe we will see the 768 split into two with one part being several days a week to work around something else

the 179 could be intresting to look at ;)

i would expect the 82 / 82a will stay in its current format with frome minibus

diffywood

Has anyone heard anything about abus 57 67 and A1 to A7 according to traveline they have a end date of 22nd July are they being axed or just a changed of timetables

carlberry

Established Member
Has anyone heard anything about abus 57 67 and A1 to A7 according to traveline they have a end date of 22nd July are they being axed or just a changed of timetables
57/67 cancelled from 22nd July on VOSA on the 8th June.