• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

-Colly405-

Not the 23 I remember from a couple of decades ago when I was in college and the 23 back then used to be one of, IIRC, 4 or 5 routes from my local stop: the choice of buses back then was always great because I never had to wait too long for one.

Dave
Was that the 23 that was in effect an extension of the 22 beyond Westbury to Avonmouth (which I think sort-of replaced the 528 and 530)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Citistar

Apparently that isn't the only routes they are gonna have. They may get the 13 Bristol City Centre to Shirehampton via Southmead Hospital, Southmead, Brentry, Westbury on Trym, Combe Dingle and Sea Mills.

The 13 was only recently retendered to Stagecoach on a longer term contract, so i'd be surprised if this were the case. It might have some commercial viability between Southmead and the City Centre, but the rest of it is a dead loss.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Was that the 23 that was in effect an extension of the 22 beyond Westbury to Avonmouth (which I think sort-of replaced the 528 and 530)?
Correct. From my local stop it was once possible to have a choice of 3 of the following routes:
- 23 (Avonmouth - Rookery Farm, via. Westbury, which interworked with the 528 & 530)
- 42 (Lawrence Weston - Cherry Gardens)
- 43 (Cribbs Causeway - Park Estate) (I remember when this started from Westbury and was numbered as Service 40 before the opening of The Mall @ Cribbs)
- 528 (Avonmouth - Bedminster Down, via. City Centre & Temple Meads: one of the morning trips to Avonmouth became the 23 on arrival at Avonmouth)

were the daytime ones. The 528 was the fastest route into Broadmead (approx. 20 minutes) which was a huge help in getting the morning bus to Weston College: they used to run a minibus on it before the introduction of the 23 and the journey I got on at 0730 was always full & standing so I was amazed when the route, along with the 530, was withdrawn for being "unviable". It was always well used on Mondays to Friday evenings as well as all day Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays as well. In the evenings you had the 43, 528 & 530 which gave 4bph between them on common sections of route although again I would always use the 528 & 530 for being the faster routes.

But now from my local stop we have 1 route: service 4 (Cribbs Causeway - Broadmead): 2bph daytime Mondays to Saturdays with hourly evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays and about as useful, to use a cartoon quote from when I was younger, as a sack of wet mice. Given the council's plans to keep cars out of the City Centre completely we need more buses, not fewer: I would welcome the return of the 28 between Avonmouth and the City Centre on the same route as of old.

Dave

-Colly405-

Transpora have anounced that they will also be running a 'new' night bus, the Bristol N2 from 8th April. From the limited info available so far it looks to be Town - Bedminster - Knowle - Stock wood - Brislington - Temple Meads - Town, 7 nights a week.

Link to their Facebook page where the N2 is an even more recent post than the 90, 23 or the 60: https://www.facebook.com/TransporaBusSW

DaveLondon

Transpora have anounced that they will also be running a 'new' night bus, the Bristol N2 from 8th April. From the limited info available so far it looks to be Town - Bedminster - Knowle - Stock wood - Brislington - Temple Meads - Town, 7 nights a week.

Link to their Facebook page where the N2 is an even more recent post than the 90, 23 or the 60: https://www.facebook.com/TransporaBusSW
Interestingly they have de registered three routes resumably to free up a couple of vehicles for all the new work. They won't be going into Gloucester in passenger service any more and route 2 in Bournemouth goes. The Website implies Weymouth shguittle service still runs it does not.

Dren Ahmeti

Interestingly they have de registered three routes resumably to free up a couple of vehicles for all the new work. They won't be going into Gloucester in passenger service any more and route 2 in Bournemouth goes. The Website implies Weymouth shguittle service still runs it does not.
I was the driver of the 781 that went into Gloucester.

Snarled up a PVR for the whole week (as it HAD to be either 1330/1331), and Glos suggested the idea for it to be dial-a-ride.

markymark2000

On Moderation
23, according to the website, is only 4 round trips between peaks and looks like it can be done to keep a driver busy between morning school and afternoon CoOp run http://www.transporabus.co.uk/23-ashton-vale-to-broadmead.

DaveLondon

Transpora in Bristol do not do school runs anymore.
That is interesting I see one of the Wimborne runs is deregistered too.

I was the driver of the 781 that went into Gloucester.

Snarled up a PVR for the whole week (as it HAD to be either 1330/1331), and Glos suggested the idea for it to be dial-a-ride.
Ah yes I did wonder why Altonian (Transpora) ever bothered with it. Newent Community Transport have quite a big network now.

LeylandLynx

Timetables are up on their website now, by the way.

-Colly405-

Transpora have anounced that they will also be running the X10 Clevedon - Portishead - Cribbs - Southmead Hospital from 8th April, with "extra morning and afternoon journeys".

Link to their Facebook page where the X10 is an even more recent post than the N2, 90, 23 or the 60: https://www.facebook.com/TransporaBusSW

Yes, I am copying and pasting much of this from my previous posts :D

DaveHarries

Established Member
Transpora have anounced that they will also be running the X10 Clevedon - Portishead - Cribbs - Southmead Hospital from 8th April, with "extra morning and afternoon journeys".

Link to their Facebook page where the X10 is an even more recent post than the N2, 90, 23 or the 60: https://www.facebook.com/TransporaBusSW

Yes, I am copying and pasting much of this from my previous posts :D
I hope Transpora aren't biting off more than they can chew.

Dave

richard13

Transpora 23/90 - First West of England have announced their April service changes (see their thread) - the old railway bridge blocking the access to Ashton Vale has been removed allowing the First 24 to be extended into Ashton Vale in full - the 23 will be pointless. The 90 seems to offer nothing much that the 75/76 and m1 don't offer at a much higher frequency. It is a busy corridor so will collect some ENTCS passes and single fares.

Altonian Coaches Ltd (trading as Transpora) has been unable to post its accounts for the year ending 31/3/2023 - nearly 2 months overdue. Why?
"I hope Transpora aren't biting off more than they can chew."

father_jack

the old railway bridge blocking the access to Ashton Vale has been removed allowing the First 24 to be extended into Ashton Vale in full
It's the bridge on South Liberty lane that's been changed not the one on Ashton Drive that the 24 used to go under when it was single deckers so the 23 might still have some purpose serving that side of Ashton and serving Sainsburys and the area around the Robins pub.

nesw

Not forgetting the Transpora Group accounts that were due at the end of August 2023. There’s also a new company Wessex Bus Limited.

What reasons would a company have not to file accounts on time?

Citistar

Transpora 23/90 - First West of England have announced their April service changes (see their thread) - the old railway bridge blocking the access to Ashton Vale has been removed allowing the First 24 to be extended into Ashton Vale in full - the 23 will be pointless.

First will be serving Ashton Vale via South Liberty Lane. Transpora's 23 will be the only service along Ashton Drive, and the only service which will stop anywhere near Sainsburys at Ashton.

The 90 seems to offer nothing much that the 75/76 and m1 don't offer at a much higher frequency. It is a busy corridor so will collect some ENTCS passes and single fares.

The 90 is actually covering several sections of route in Knowle withdrawn by First over recent years including Redcatch Road, Daventry Road and Leinster Avenue. It'll also be providing a usable service between Imperial Park, Bedminster and the Centre which i think is commendable.

Considering how these services could have been direct duplicates of First services, i think they're genuinely bringing something of value to the network.

Not forgetting the Transpora Group accounts that were due at the end of August 2023. There’s also a new company Wessex Bus Limited.

What reasons would a company have not to file accounts on time?
There are a few reasons from administrative errors/omissions but generally it is regarded as a bad thing to do and can be (note "can be" not "is"!) a sign that all is not well financially with a company.

Marcus Fryer

The YCL service between Yate Park & Ride and Cuckoo Lane run by Transpora will cease after 5 April, being replaced in part by a diversion of the Y6, also Westlink.
From South Gloucestershire Council’s ‘Highways Update Spring 2024’ newsletter:

New bus service​

We are continuing to work with National Highways to help communities affected by the closure of the A432 Badminton Road overbridge.

The Y6 Bristol to Chipping Sodbury bus service, operated by First Bus, will be re-routed and will now serve the St Saviour’s Church area of Coalpit Heath on every journey, diverting from its current route via Beesmoor Road, Heather Avenue, Park Lane and Bridge Way. This will provide a regular service to this area while the A432/M4 overbridge remains closed.

This is an alternative solution as the temporary Yate Park & Ride shuttle bus service will stop running on Friday 5 April.

For more information on the First Bus Y6 route changes, visit the First Bus website page.
You can also pre-book the WESTlink on demand bus service by phoning 0117 457 8561 or via the app.

Last edited:

RELL6L

Country Bus are going to be operating a successor to the Dartmoor Explorer.

Dartmoor Buses

From 15th April we will be operating two services between Newton Abbot and Tavistock going across Dartmoor.

171 – via Bovey Tracey & Moretonhampstead

172 – via Ashburton & Dartmeet

Also, from 25th May the 271 Haytor Hoppa resumes for the summer, running Saturdays only until 14th September.

The 171 and 172 look like one bus - times are on BusTimes - 171 Newton Abbot 9.05, Moretonhampstead 9.45, Tavistock 10.43. Then return as a 172 Tavistock 10.55 via Dartmeet and Ashburton back to Newton Abbot 12.15. Same in reverse in the afternoon, back by 16.40 (but not constrained by school times). Mon-Sat 15 April to 2 November.

Interesting new route on the 172 from Two Bridges through Dartmeet and Ashburton. Very unlikely to be a decker I suspect but its really good news that there is something!

Also mentioned on the Devon County Council page.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Country Bus are going to be operating a successor to the Dartmoor Explorer.
Nice idea. I wonder if any operator has ever experimented with a trans-Dartmoor link between Okehampton and Newton Abbot via. South Zeal, Chagford, Moretonhampstead and Bovey? Or maybe Exeter - Tavistock as an extension of the 359.

Dave

RELL6L

Nice idea. I wonder if any operator has ever experimented with a trans-Dartmoor link between Okehampton and Newton Abbot via. South Zeal, Chagford, Moretonhampstead and Bovey?

Dave

The Countrybus 178 does precisely that. Not really a leisure service though.

JKP

Nice idea. I wonder if any operator has ever experimented with a trans-Dartmoor link between Okehampton and Newton Abbot via. South Zeal, Chagford, Moretonhampstead and Bovey? Or maybe Exeter - Tavistock as an extension of the 359.

Dave
Devon General service 16 once ran 4 times each way on Mondays to Saturdays and 3 times each way on Sundays though passengers had to usually change buses en route.

RELL6L

The new 171 connects, clearly deliberately, with the 359 from Exeter at Moretonhampstead. Does anyone know if the 171/172 are Devon funded or commercial?

There will be five departures from Moretonhampstead 9.40-9.45, shades of Cheltenham!

Last edited:

Peter Philips

The new 171 connects, clearly deliberately, with the 359 from Exeter at Moretonhampstead. Does anyone know if the 171/172 are Devon funded or commercial?

There will be five departures from Moretonhampstead 9.40-9.45, shades of Cheltenham!
Devon County Council contracted routes. Minibus operated out of necessity because of the very narrow Dartmoor bridges between Ashburton & Two Bridges via Dartmeet (section of route once served by First D&C Varios as part of the former DCC Sunday Rover network and before that narrow bodied LH coaches on Dartmoor tours).

The Countrybus 178 does precisely that. Not really a leisure service though.
As well as the new County Bus 171/2, Stagecoach has won additional early & late peak journeys on the 178 as far as Whiddon Down from Newton Abbot (in addition to Country Bus 178 journeys).

Also appears the new 171 & existing 178 will have run up from Newton Abbot at very similar times to arrive within 3 minutes of each other at Moretonhampstead (presumably also a third bus to operate the 0940 178 back to Newton Abbot but not sure where that comes from, presumably dead from a school run?)

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Allegedly FromeBus is operating the Devizes - Westbury/Trowbridge 76/77 from 15th April, they already do one 77 each evening but supposedly operating all journeys soon, nothing confirmed in writing yet just what I've heard.

Wouldn't surprise me though they took over the Bath weekly shopping runs previously operated by Faresaver

Citistar

Allegedly FromeBus is operating the Devizes - Westbury/Trowbridge 76/77 from 15th April, they already do one 77 each evening but supposedly operating all journeys soon, nothing confirmed in writing yet just what I've heard.

Wouldn't surprise me though they took over the Bath weekly shopping runs previously operated by Faresaver
I think the 76/77 change is somewhat wide of the mark as it interworks so much with other services (notably the 87 group). Libra do the shopping runs and i don't believe these are due to change. There are other changes in Wiltshire over the next few weeks, the most notable of which is probably the extension of the 24 to run Frome - Warminster - Salisbury. A somewhat incomplete timetable for this is on BusTimes. Elsewhere there are some other changes of timetable and operator on some of the other routes. Despite the timeframe, i understand details are still being finalised.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Not yet clear how many buses the small operators are getting
Pulhams are getting 15 as part of an order for 201 ZEBs from GoAhead.

Dave