• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Metro Go Ahead Announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Bristol - Bath, no need for a seat, I'll happily stand.

Just give me a train I can get on.

It's that simple.....really.

You seem to feel that it's their fault. Why do you feel that this is the case? That they actually have more than enough rolling stock but they just don't use it, or that there's plenty that they could use but management just can't be bothered to look for it? If you have a look at an up to date multiple unit fleet list, you will probably find that everything is already in use with someone; there just isn't a large pool of spare stock available. And allocation of stock is largely the responsibility of the Government, so it is they that decide, if anything does become available, where it should go. FGW have, in fact, recently receieved several units by this means from other operators.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Aplogies if someones's already said this, but terminating trains at Bath won't cause a problem and you won't need an extra platform either.
Just East of Bath is Bathampton loop. This could be used for reversing the services, meaning that they won't occupy the section any longer than any other service.

Drsatan

Established Member
Aplogies if someones's already said this, but terminating trains at Bath won't cause a problem and you won't need an extra platform either.
Just East of Bath is Bathampton loop. This could be used for reversing the services, meaning that they won't occupy the section any longer than any other service.

Even if the majority of Bristol Metro services were to terminate at Bath Spa, I'd like to suggest that one train an hour (or more, depending on demand or availability of paths), could be extended from Bath to Westbury, calling at all stations. Consequently, all Weymouth services could run non-stop from Bath to Westbury (a few could possibly call at Bradford on Avon); likewise, services from Southampton Central or Brighton to Great Malvern (such as the 08:23 from SOU to GMV) would not need to call at intermediate stations.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Even if the majority of Bristol Metro services were to terminate at Bath Spa, I'd like to suggest that one train an hour (or more, depending on demand or availability of paths), could be extended from Bath to Westbury, calling at all stations. Consequently, all Weymouth services could run non-stop from Bath to Westbury (a few could possibly call at Bradford on Avon); likewise, services from Southampton Central or Brighton to Great Malvern (such as the 08:23 from SOU to GMV) would not need to call at intermediate stations.

Very much so. By far the great majority of passengers to/from anywhere between Westbury and Keynsham will be for Bath or Bristol, so any loss of through services (except perhaps for one or two in the morning & evening) would really inconvenience very few.

Ivo

Established Member

I would think that most (if not all) services that way would need to serve Trowbridge. In fact, were it not for having such a useful terminus just one station away as it is (Westbury), I would suggest extending the shuttles to Trowbridge, and then having at least the existing Westbury/Weymouth call there as well, if not necessarily the Wessex Main Line services.

In practice, I think the best idea would be to run Bath to Portishead and Yate to Weston, or of course Bath to Weston and Yate to Portishead, and then Henbury and Severn Beach to Temple Meads only. There is however one potential thorn in this plan, which is the proposed Swansea to Bristol EMU service, which has previously been suggested as extending to Bath (or at least, it has on here). Once you get into the realms of 7/8tph between Bristol and Bath - the four existing ones, the shuttles and the EMU(s) - then you are looking at an overkill situation.

It would be annoying if said EMU really did mean we lose our direct train to Cardiff though :|

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It would be annoying if said EMU really did mean we lose our direct train to Cardiff though :|

Makes no difference to me anyway, as I already have to change at Temple Meads to get back to Cardiff (apart from Sundays). I could walk / get the bus to Bath Spa station, but that is kind of pointless since Oldfield Park is on my doorstep! (Or was this year, and is likely to be next next year).

But stopping my selfish thoughts, I do agree. It seems a surprising number of people board at Cardiff and stay on passed Temple Meads (and board earlier than TM and carry on towards Cardiff).

chuckles1066

You seem to feel that it's their fault. Why do you feel that this is the case?

Because they are the "service provider" in this area.

Who else do I blame? If I pay a builder to come around next Tuesday and build me a wall and he doesn't turn up, whose fault is it?

Of course, by your reasoning, we could all just regress 50 years and blame the Government for everything.

Class 33

Established Member
Very dissapointing coverage about this on BBC Points West news tonight. A half hour long show and just a measly 20 seconds mention of this! Even The West Country Tonight news which now covers a much larger region, had the decency to put together a few minutes long report about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.