• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Metrobus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marcus Fryer

From 26 September the daytime Sunday frequency on the m1 has been increased from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes Hengrove Park-Cribbs Causeway and the short workings between the Centre and UWE withdrawn.
Similarly the daytime Saturday service is now every 10 minutes throughout the route (was every 15 minutes) with no short workings.
Monday-Friday, the m3 has gained short workings and is now every 10 minutes Centre-UWE with every other journey continuing to/from Emerson’s Green. The weekend service on the m3 remains every 30 minutes with no short workings.

Last edited:

-Colly405-

From 26 September the daytime Sunday frequency on the m1 has been increased from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes Hengrove Park-Cribbs Causeway and the short workings between the Centre and UWE withdrawn.
Similarly the daytime Saturday service is now every 10 minutes throughout the route (was every 15 minutes) with no short workings.
Monday-Friday, the m3 has gained short workings and is now every 10 minutes Centre-UWE with every other journey continuing to/from Emerson’s Green. The weekend service on the m3 remains every 30 minutes with no short workings.
And overnight, once the m1 finishes there are short m3 every 20 minutes all night M-S Centre - UWE.

Marcus Fryer

First WOE 36808 (YM17 FKA) was operating on the m1 today - 13:35 from Cribbs Causeway to Hengrove Park. Bustimes shows this journey as being run by 2928 (YN68 EUX); is this currently off the road, and, if so, why?

Marcus Fryer

According to the Stoke Gifford Journal, an operator has committed to producing a commercial service between Bristol Parkway and Cribbs Causeway via Brabazon. “A (West of England Combined Authority) spokesman said ‘The Metrobus service will start along the new route in spring 2023’.”

Please include a link to your source - mod

Attachments

• 85C534A1-3C38-4E56-972C-E8B992693FC7.jpeg
    85C534A1-3C38-4E56-972C-E8B992693FC7.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • 34AF267D-EF4C-4DB5-B983-B67F62425A00.jpeg
    34AF267D-EF4C-4DB5-B983-B67F62425A00.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

-Colly405-

According to the Stoke Gifford Journal, an operator has committed to producing a commercial service between Bristol Parkway and Cribbs Causeway via Brabazon. “A (West of England Combined Authority) spokesman said ‘The Metrobus service will start along the new route in spring 2023’.”

That's good news. I see that elsewhere in the (hard copy) Journal there is a schematic that shows it as every 10 minutes. Whether that will be the case when it first starts, I doubt.

I also note that this is the last hard-copy Journal, and that it will be online only going forward at stokegiffordjournal.co.uk

Marcus Fryer

That's good news. I see that elsewhere in the (hard copy) Journal there is a schematic that shows it as every 10 minutes. Whether that will be the case when it first starts, I doubt.

I also note that this is the last hard-copy Journal, and that it will be online only going forward at stokegiffordjournal.co.uk
But this article hadn’t yet been uploaded to the online edition when I looked for it yesterday.

-Colly405-

But this article hadn’t yet been uploaded to the online edition when I looked for it yesterday.
They do seem to upload articules after the hard-copy version has been published. Hopefully that will stop when there is no hard-copy.

But we go off topic :)

Pure speculation here but...
- I wonder which operator has committed to the commercial service? BCT and First only have depots in the south/east of the greater Bristol area, and Stagecoach have a depot literally on line of route...
- Where will it run? Moving on from the original proposals, the latest metrobus system map shows UWE-Parkway as a 'future route', and there are of course the existing short m3 journeys all day UWE-Centre. Could the new route take those over to run Centre-Cribbs? That would probably pave the way for another recast of the 73 though, as it would lose its Stoke Gifford/Parkway to City business...

Last edited:

-Colly405-

The operator of the m4 will be First.

Metro Mayor Dan Norris and South Gloucestershire Council have officially welcomed First Bus aboard plans for the brand-new Cribbs Causeway to Bristol Parkway metrobus service.

First Bus will run the new Cribbs Patchway 'm4' service opening in Spring 2023. Mayor Norris made the announcement alongside South Gloucestershire Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport, Cllr Steve Reade, and First’s Managing Director Doug Claringbold at Bristol Parkway Station.

The new service, providing a fast and direct bus route between Parkway Station and The Mall and linking with the existing 'metrobus' network, has been made possible thanks to a bumper £57 million cash injection from the West of England Combined Authority, led by the Metro Mayor.

The new bus route will benefit communities in Stoke Gifford, Patchway and the forthcoming mixed-use Cribbs Patchway New Neighbourhood development on the former Filton Airfield.

As part of the move, a number of bus stops along the route are being upgraded to ‘metrobus standard’ including having brand-new bus shelters, 'iPoints', cycle hoops, fully accessible kerbs and CCTV to keep locals safe while travelling, helping the Combined Authority and partners, including South Gloucestershire Council, in the mission to create a greener, safer West of England.

More details to follow, including presumably where the other terminus will be - can't see it being Parkway, as that leaves the Parkway North metrobus stop without a metrobus route...

freetoview33

Established Member
The operator of the m4 will be First.

More details to follow, including presumably where the other terminus will be - can't see it being Parkway, as that leaves the Parkway North metrobus stop without a metrobus route...
It depends of they go back to the original plan or not, but at the moment I can't see that happening.

Which was something like

M1: Cribbs - Centre - Hengrove (Every 20 mins)
M2: Long Ashton - Centre (As is)
M3: Emersons - Centre - Hengrove (Every 20 mins)
M4: Emersons - Parkway - Cribbs (Every 20 mins)
M5: The long mentioned Long Ashton - Hengrove extension of the M2.

-Colly405-

It depends of they go back to the original plan or not, but at the moment I can't see that happening.

Which was something like

M1: Cribbs - Centre - Hengrove (Every 20 mins)
M2: Long Ashton - Centre (As is)
M3: Emersons - Centre - Hengrove (Every 20 mins)
M4: Emersons - Parkway - Cribbs (Every 20 mins)
M5: The long mentioned Long Ashton - Hengrove extension of the M2.
Not sure there has ever been the demand to go 6 an hour to Emersons...??

Flinn Reed

Has it ever been considered to merge the m2 and m3 together, to give another cross-Bristol route?

Also has it been decided what line colour the new m4 will use?

freetoview33

Established Member
Not sure there has ever been the demand to go 6 an hour to Emersons...??
There could be as half would serve U.W.E and City Centre/South Bristol then the other half Parkway, Arena and Cribbs.

Has it ever been considered to merge the m2 and m3 together, to give another cross-Bristol route?

Also has it been decided what line colour the new m4 will use?
It's not quite that easy as the M2 needs guidewheels and it is just more hassle, with the loop the M2 does in town. But the M3 continuing to Hengrove was in the original plans.

Exactly - the 18/X18 was never overly busy, back in the day!
To be fair a few were but only at peak times, in between it was dead.

-Colly405-

My thoughts are still that the existing m3 daytime shorts (every 20 minutes City - UWE) will become m4 and extend to Cribbs via Parkway.

Marcus Fryer

The m1 is running a 15-minute interval service today (Sunday 28 August) and tomorrow. Normally it’s a 20-minute interval Sundays and public holidays.

-Colly405-

That's right, according to Travelwest, Traveline and BusTimes
- 10 mins - Mon-Fri peaks
- 12 mins - Mon-Fri off peak, Sat daytimes
- 15 mins - Sunday daytimes
- 20 mins - all evenings

Also on VOSA as a change from 28/8/22, here: https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/596341/

Usually the metrobus twitter account tweets changes, but they haven't mentioned it, even though they've highlighted that today is a Sunday service and they've flagged the southbound change of route from tomorrow (in case you've not picked that up, southbound they will serve the Centre from 07:00 tomorrow (and then via Marsh St and Bristol Bridge), but still not Queen Square in either direction).

DaveHarries

Established Member
Usually the metrobus twitter account tweets changes, but they haven't mentioned it, even though they've highlighted that today is a Sunday service and they've flagged the southbound change of route from tomorrow (in case you've not picked that up, southbound they will serve the Centre from 07:00 tomorrow (and then via Marsh St and Bristol Bridge), but still not Queen Square in either direction).
Not sure if you are from Bristol or not but Redcliffe Bridge, which is normally the route of the m1, closed for maintenance on 01st August for a period of about 10 weeks. I wonder if the operator was slightly late in registering this.

Dave

Marcus Fryer

Not sure if you are from Bristol or not but Redcliffe Bridge, which is normally the route of the m1, closed for maintenance on 01st August for a period of about 10 weeks. I wonder if the operator was slightly late in registering this.

Dave
He means via the Centre instead of Wine Street. Still via Bristol Bridge, not serving Queen Square . It was advertised on the Passenger Information Screen on the m1 I caught this afternoon.

Last edited:

-Colly405-

Thanks both - yes, the northbound diversion was and is missing out just Queen Square, whereas the southbound was missing both Centre and Queen Sq, and using Wine St instead, but from tomorrow is missing just Queen Sq and no longer using Wine St.

But of course this is separate to the increased frequencies from yesterday...

freetoview33

Established Member
It's been announced that the M4 will be starting on the 22nd of January.

A new metrobus route linking Bristol Parkway and Cribbs Causeway will officially launch in January, it has been revealed today (December 8). The West of England Combined Authority has confirmed that the new m4 metrobus route will run from Sunday, January 22.

First West, which will operate the service, claim that m4 buses will run every 20 minutes from Monday to Saturday and every 30 minutes on Sundays and Bank Holidays. It will run between 6am and 11 pm on weekdays, with a later start at weekends.

The route will provide a link between Cribbs Causeway and Bristol city centre via The Mall, Bristol Parkway Station and the University of the West of England, serving communities in Patchway and Stoke Gifford. But initially the service it will operate via a temporary route via the A38 and Hayes Way.

Mod note: Please remember to include a relevant quote from any linked sources.

Marcus Fryer

It's been announced that the M4 will be starting on the 22nd of January.

Mod note: Please remember to include a relevant quote from any linked sources.
Perhaps more for the First West of England thread, but reading the Bristol Post article reveals that from “the new year” the 19 will be cut back to run Bath-Bristol Parkway and the 73 will be withdrawn between Bradley Stoke and Cribbs Causeway. It doesn’t say where in Bradley Stoke the 73 will terminate, but if it’s the Willow Brook Centre that leaves a large chunk of north Bradley Stoke with no bus service. Of course, the 73 might run to the Aztec West roundabout.

lachlan

I didnt realise rhe m4 was to run to the city centre - presumably this will be on the same route as the M1. This is good news, more capacity is sorely needed here with the M1 being full heading north from Cabot Circus a few times recently.

-Colly405-

I stick by what I've been saying for ages, that the current m3 shorts will become m4, and extends from UWE to Parkway and Cribbs.

The article says that there will be timetable changes to the other m rides so we shall see. Soon, I imagine...

dmncf

I noticed on the Metrobus website (https://travelwest.info/metrobus/metrobus-prices-validity-and-how-to-buy):
PayPoint stores
You can purchase tickets for travel on metrobus using cash at locations all across the region.
Please note this option will no longer be available from 1st January 2023.
FIND YOUR NEAREST PAYPOINT STORE
Am I correct to understand that from 1st January 2023 there will be no option for customers to buy Metrobus tickets using cash? I appreciate that this PayPoint stores option was a token effort to cater for a diminishing proportion of customers, but I'm surprised that politically it has been possible to not cater for customers who need/want to pay cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.