• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Metrobus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marc

The MD of first west of England ? Or a different JF ? If so how has this order been kept secret ?

becaose its a transaction between two busineses that are under no oblagation to make the order public??

swifty

Established Member
The Post reports that Slide have announced they are in the running for Metrobus. Slide are of course owned by Bath Bus Company owners Ratp Dev.

swifty

Established Member
A poor 48 driver got caught out on the centre this afternoon, missing the turn into Christmas Street he ended up on Anchor Road with a long detour to finally end up in a position to be able to get onto Nelson Street!

Colly405

Question for those in the know...

We've just moved from Filton to Stoke Gifford, and there are the bones of a Metrobus stop on Hunts Ground Rd, outside the old Pearce's works by the 'overflow' car park for Parkway.

But there is nothing obviously to do with Metrobus beyond there - where will it be stopping at Parkway itself?

radamfi

Established Member
Off bus ticketing for single tickets is not rocket science. It is hardly unusual outside the UK.

carlberry

Established Member
The MD of first west of England ? Or a different JF ? If so how has this order been kept secret ?
I think First said a while ago that the rest of the recent batch of Scanias will become Metrobus vehicles (like the first few) if they win the extra contracts.

83G/84D

Established Member
If you are not aware there is a detailed feature in the current edition of coach and bus week covering First West of England.
There is a section “Delivering Bristol’s MetroBus” where Shalando Williams, MetroBus project manager for First WoE is interviewed at length.

Just a heads up for anyone who may be interested.

Bought my copy in W H Smiths at Temple Meads station to read on the journey back to Cornwall this afternoon.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Off bus ticketing for single tickets is not rocket science. It is hardly unusual outside the UK.

Interesting you mention that. I was with my friends who used to live in Sittard (Netherlands but are now domiciled back in Buckinghamshire). They lived there for 3 years but the challenge/difficulty of buying off bus on an ad-hoc sporadic basis there meant that they simply gave up trying.

I've experienced the same in Italy. To get a ticket in advance would mean walking a mile to a tobacconist that may or may not be open! Hopefully, these ticket machines in Bristol will a) work and b) not be susceptible to vandalism. After all, the bus shelters at Highridge managed to have their windows but through before the road had opened!!

radamfi

Established Member
Interesting you mention that. I was with my friends who used to live in Sittard (Netherlands but are now domiciled back in Buckinghamshire). They lived there for 3 years but the challenge/difficulty of buying off bus on an ad-hoc sporadic basis there meant that they simply gave up trying.

Eh? All you need is to get an OV-Chipkaart once every 5 years. You can even set up auto-topup from a Dutch bank account so you don't even need to go to a machine to top up. They still allow on bus purchase but it usually costs a lot more. Some areas of the Netherlands have already stopped accepting cash on the bus and there are plans in most of the country to remove cash from buses in the New Year although the more rural areas may continue to allow cash for a while longer. However, you will still be able to get buy a ticket on the bus using contactless.

I've experienced the same in Italy. To get a ticket in advance would mean walking a mile to a tobacconist that may or may not be open!

But the alternative is longer journey times for regular travellers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Eh? All you need is to get an OV-Chipkaart once every 5 years. You can even set up auto-topup from a Dutch bank account so you don't even need to go to a machine to top up. They still allow on bus purchase but it usually costs a lot more. Some areas of the Netherlands have already stopped accepting cash on the bus and there are plans in most of the country to remove cash from buses in the New Year although the more rural areas may continue to allow cash for a while longer. However, you will still be able to get buy a ticket on the bus using contactless.

Yeah, you're probably right. After all, they only lived there....

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If you are not aware there is a detailed feature in the current edition of coach and bus week covering First West of England.
There is a section “Delivering Bristol’s MetroBus” where Shalando Williams, MetroBus project manager for First WoE is interviewed at length.

Just a heads up for anyone who may be interested.

Bought my copy in W H Smiths at Temple Meads station to read on the journey back to Cornwall this afternoon.
An interesting read, even for someone who's not been on a bus in Bristol for 32 years!

radamfi

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don't see any room for sarcasm here. The OV-Chipkaart is well known to be valid on all public transport in the Netherlands. But even if you don't get one of those, you can get a ticket on the bus. It just costs more. The website shows the wide range of tickets available on the bus in that area:

https://www.arriva.nl/limburg/abonnementen-kaartjes-1/etickets-kaartjes.htm?

Sorry but you came across as something else. I was reporting their experience and their perception!

radamfi

Established Member
Sorry but you came across as something else. I was reporting their experience and their perception!

I just don't get how they could have gone away with the perception that you can't buy a ticket either in advance or on the bus. For advance purchase, there is a universal ticket valid in the whole country. A lot less complicated than Britain where every company has its own tickets. But if you get on the bus and ask for a ticket to somewhere, the driver will sell you a ticket, just like in Britain. Where's the difficultly?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I just don't get how they could have gone away with the perception that you can't buy a ticket either in advance or on the bus. For advance purchase, there is a universal ticket valid in the whole country. A lot less complicated than Britain where every company has its own tickets. But if you get on the bus and ask for a ticket to somewhere, the driver will sell you a ticket, just like in Britain. Where's the difficultly?

They must be foolish individuals. I shall disown them immediately.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.