• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Metrobus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Incorrect statement that you have to buy a ticket before boarding a bus in London. Central London got rid of their ticket machines ages ago: with contactless, you pay when boarding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
The new MetroBus routes won't really be of any use to me really to be honest, and a fair number of other people in Bristol too. I for instance don't need to travel to places like Emersons Green, Knowle West, or Hengrove. The only part of the new upcoming route that I could use, is between Centre and Bedminster as I go over to Bedminster shopping sometimes. But if I have a First Bus ticket, this won't be valid on the Metrobus anyway, and I'd have to pay extra, and what's the point of that. So for normal travelling about Bristol, there'd be no need for me to use the MetroBus services really.

That said, I do like the introduction of these MetroBus services. Giving a faster more limited stop services to certain areas of Bristol, compared to the normal buses which keep stopping at bus stops every minute or so, and can take ages. Will these three MetroBus services be all there is, or will more services possibly be planned and introduced in a few years or so?

I will be giving the new M3 Centre-Emersons Green a go though when it comes into service. To see what it's like. Was hoping to get a ride on it on it's inaugural day of service. But 29th May is a Tuesday and I'll be at work. So it will have to wait till the following Saturday till I can get a ride on it.

Also I notice the planned South Bristol Link (Hengrove Park-Ashton Vale) service has been quietly dropped. As well as the stop at Bristol Parkway.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The new MetroBus routes won't really be of any use to me really to be honest, and a fair number of other people in Bristol too. I for instance don't need to travel to places like Emersons Green, Knowle West, or Hengrove. The only part of the new upcoming route that I could use, is between Centre and Bedminster as I go over to Bedminster shopping sometimes. But if I have a First Bus ticket, this won't be valid on the Metrobus anyway, and I'd have to pay extra, and what's the point of that. So for normal travelling about Bristol, there'd be no need for me to use the MetroBus services really.

That said, I do like the introduction of these MetroBus services. Giving a faster more limited stop services to certain areas of Bristol, compared to the normal buses which keep stopping at bus stops every minute or so, and can take ages. Will these three MetroBus services be all there is, or will more services possibly be planned and introduced in a few years or so?

I will be giving the new M3 Centre-Emersons Green a go though when it comes into service. To see what it's like. Was hoping to get a ride on it on it's inaugural day of service. But 29th May is a Tuesday and I'll be at work. So it will have to wait till the following Saturday till I can get a ride on it.

Also I notice the planned South Bristol Link (Hengrove Park-Ashton Vale) service has been quietly dropped. As well as the stop at Bristol Parkway.

That was mentioned by me a little while ago. Also, it is shown as such on the iPoint at Long Ashton. So a Metrobus road is built with a lovely bus lane and no buses! Mind you, the Post had failed to notice and are now running the story.....

Also, thought the deal was that First tickets were to be accepted - as the Post article on CT Plus said

"All tickets, like the other MetroBus routes, must be bought before boarding. Valid tickets on the network are accepted on the rest of the First West of England network in Bristol and the wider areas.

Tickets on First Bus services, such as the mTickets bought on the app, will also be accepted.

Avonfare all-operator tickets can be used on the MetroBus, as well as First, Abus, Stagecoach, Bath Bus Company, BCT and others."

I'll be back in work then so I'll have to miss out for a while to sample Metrobus!

carlberry

Established Member
I hope nobody suggests that the only reason the route was ever suggested was to justify lumping the costs of building the A38-A370 link road into Metrobus!

Class 33

Established Member
The MetroBus starts next week. I did say that I wouldn't be able to use it on it's innaugural day of service on Tuesday 29th May, however it looks like I may be able to now, in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to giving it a try on it's first day, even though otherwise this route(M3 The Centre-Emersons Green) is going to be no use to me atall as I've no reason to travel between any destinations along it's route.

Looking at the timetable though, the timings appear to be very optimistic. Between The Centre and Cabot Circus, journey times of just 2 or 3 minutes! I really can't see that happening, especially at peak times when traffic is heavy! More like about 5 minutes off-peak and 10 minutes or more peak would be more realistic! And then also journey times of 13 or 14 minutes between The Centre and UWE. Probably possible during off-peak times, though not at peak times when traffic on the M32 can be heavy - could be more like 20-25 minutes or more!

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
The MetroBus starts next week. I did say that I wouldn't be able to use it on it's innaugural day of service on Tuesday 29th May, however it looks like I may be able to now, in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to giving it a try on it's first day, even though otherwise this route(M3 The Centre-Emersons Green) is going to be no use to me atall as I've no reason to travel between any destinations along it's route.

Looking at the timetable though, the timings appear to be very optimistic. Between The Centre and Cabot Circus, journey times of just 2 or 3 minutes! I really can't see that happening, especially at peak times when traffic is heavy! More like about 5 minutes off-peak and 10 minutes or more peak would be more realistic! And then also journey times of 13 or 14 minutes between The Centre and UWE. Probably possible during off-peak times, though not at peak times when traffic on the M32 can be heavy - could be more like 20-25 minutes or more!
Even these M3 timings have more time added in than U.W.E and X48

ooo

Some of the ticket machines are now in place (spotted in the centre and on Lewins mead)

Marcus Fryer

And this one:
180521-02 First West of England 36820 (YT67 XKD).JPG
And there's been one at Long Ashton for at least a month and a half:

Attachments

• 180407-08 First West of England 37605 (WX58 JXO).JPG
    180407-08 First West of England 37605 (WX58 JXO).JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

Last day of the UWE today, and also the unveiling of the UWE Campus ticket machine:
IMG_2459.JPG
There still seem to be a large number of ticket machines to be put in situ.

Marcus Fryer

M3 has 23 stops that need ticket machines.
They won't need them until the 9th June, of course. Have all M3 stops got shelters and bike stands now (except the final stop at Emersons Green won't need a shelter and the city centre stops won't need bike stands)?

freetoview33

Established Member
They won't need them until the 9th June, of course. Have all M3 stops got shelters and bike stands now (except the final stop at Emersons Green won't need a shelter and the city centre stops won't need bike stands)?
Emersons Green should need a shelter as it is also the first stop for people going into town.

Class 33

Established Member
Did a return journey from The Centre-Emersons Green on the M3 MetroBus earlier this afternoon. I got on the 1300 service. Though it was 5 minutes late departing due to a couple of little operational reasons I'll skip for now. Anyway, departed at 1305. I could have grabbed a front seat on the top deck if I wanted to. But I thought I'll sit near the back so I can see all the people getting on and experiencing this brand new MetroBus service for the first time(or maybe the second time if they got on it to get into town). Stopped at Lewins Mead and Cabot Circus stops for a number of people boarding. Departing Cabot Circus at 1310 - 5 minutes after departing The Centre. The timetable states journey times between these stops of 2 or 3 minutes. And as I earlier mentioned on here, I thought that is being a bit optimistic, and 5 minutes at off peak(and providing there's also not much traffic about) times would be more realistic, and more like about 10 minutes at peak(or when there's heavier traffic) times. Then onto the Begbrook and Stoke Park stops, of which a few people departed and boarded. Arrived and swiftly departed the UWE Campus stop at 1320. A journey time of 15 minutes - just 1 minute longer than estimated on the timetable - which isn't too bad. Then on towards Hambrook, Lyde Green P & R and Emersons Green. Along the way I noticed a two person news crew at one of the stops filiming, and the reporter looked like it was former ITN newsreader Mark Austin - but it probably wasn't him! Arrived at Emerson Green at 1337 - just 3 minutes late. But a total journey time of 32 minutes, 2 minutes faster than the timetable states. So we made up a few minutes after that 5 minutes late departure from The Centre.

I stayed on the bus and came straight back again. Slightly surprisingly the bus departed Emersons Green a few minute earlier than timetabled at 1337 rather than 1340. But upon departure from the Lyde Green P & R we departed on time at 1341. A fair number of people boarded at this stop, and a number of other people boarded at most of the other stops. We departed UWE Campus at 1400, just 1 minute late. I heard two of the guys who got on at Lyde Green P & R commented that the X48 was 10 times faster. Errrr... no, 10 times faster, I don't think so! Arrived at the Cabot Circus stop at 1412 - 3 minutes faster than timetabled.

Not too bad overall. I quite enjoyed getting a return journey on the inniguaral day of service of the new MetroBus! But after this though, I won't really need to use this service for the foreseeable future unless I move to the Stoke Park, Hambrook or Emersons Green areas(unlikely) or get a new job at Emersons Green.

But at peak times(or at off peak times if the traffic is heavier than usual) I can't see this service being able to stick to the timetable. Journey times from The Centre to UWE Campus could be more like about 25 minutes and Emersons Green about 50 minutes.

Last edited:

-Colly405-

I stayed on the bus and came straight back again. Slightly surprisingly the bus departed Emersons Green a few minute earlier than timetabled at 1337 rather than 1340.
Interesting you say that the return journey left early. I was on the Centre and saw one leave at 1237. This must have been the 1240 as the next one (the one you got) sat at the stop for ages.

Marcus Fryer

Interesting you say that the return journey left early. I was on the Centre and saw one leave at 1237. This must have been the 1240 as the next one (the one you got) sat at the stop for ages.
Like many others, I also sampled the m3 this afternoon. My experience was that some journeys ran more or less to time, but others ran considerably late; the 13:50 Begbrook to Emersons Green was 20 minutes late, and ran in tandem with the 14:10. It was extremely busy and it seemed that the free rides were being taken advantage of as a way to amuse the kids during half-term.
I caught the 14:40 back from Emersons Green which had a good run back to the Broadmead stop, where we took 4 minutes to change drivers.
The service was being provided by 36801 and 36803-6 (36806 is red where the others are green). 36802 was also out on driver training.
One m3 liveried bus (presumably 36802) worked the 16:00 route 43 to Cadbury Heath!
As far as I can tell, the only ticket machines in situ are at Centre (N/B), Broadmead (N/B), Cabot Circus (both directions), UWE Campus, Willy Wicket (E/B) and Lyde Green (W/B). I don't think any of the stops publicise the free rides, although it's prominently advertised on the sides of 36801-6.
In the hour I was at Begbrook there were about ten cars which came off the M32 via the bus link looking for the A4174!

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
I had a quick ride out to Begbrook and back in the evening rush hour. Both vehicles on time and very pleasant drivers. Having 36806 in the wrong livery just feels like an obvious own goal, obviously it's going to end up being orange for the M2 however either hide it or change it to green for a few months; don't put it in service on the first day!! And why have a liveried bus for driver training, there's at least 17 identical vehicles to train on that are not prepared for the M3!
I cant help feeling that both ends of the M32/Stoke Lane link look too much like normal roads and I fully expect some councilor to suggest introducing junction 1a on the M32 in the next year or two, either to defend constituents who've been fined for using the junction or because they've got a list of signatures of people who want to use it to join the queue on the M32 at a different place.

carlberry

Established Member
Another sample of the Metrobus today and somewhat less impressive!

Arriving at the centre with a few minutes to spare I saw an M3 leaving. However another then arrived (36801) so I assumed it was a previous one running late. However 36801 then ran off with 'Returning to depot' as a destination. 36805 then turned up and, 8 minutes late we're off. The stop in Rupert Street was difficult to deal with as it was covered in parked vans (perhaps the council might take an interest in keeping it clear!) then off to Stoke Park. We arrived after my intended departure however I hadn't seen any southbound ones for a few minutes so I was still hopeful. A quarter of an hour later it was obviously not coming and an obvious shortcoming of the current setup was the lack of real time information at the stops (I assume until the ticket machines are installed). After a 23 minute wait (and 7 minutes after it was supposed to be there) the next service turned up which turned out to be the aforementioned 36801 which had obviously run all the way out empty to try to fix issues with the service. Both vehicles fairly full with pleasant drivers however these don't feel quite as good at climbing hills as most previous Scanias I’ve been on, even the one after Eastville on the M32 feels a bit ponderous. Both runs through the M32 bus road were accompanied by other vehicles so, it appears, the only vehicles that won’t be using the Metrobus infrastructure will be normal service buses and coaches!

Next week the schools are back and Bristol’s traffic returns to normal which isn’t going to help!

freetoview33

Established Member
When I was listening to BBC Radio Bristol on Tuesday morning, people were saying that it was mad starting it on half term week. If anything I think that was the best idea! Gives them a week to iron out any issues before the normal madness next week.

carlberry

Established Member
When I was listening to BBC Radio Bristol on Tuesday morning, people were saying that it was mad starting it on half term week. If anything I think that was the best idea! Gives them a week to iron out any issues before the normal madness next week.
It's a perfect time to do it. The only disadvantage is that it will have loads of families going for a free day out which might overload it a bit, however these are still a target audience for when it's running. Launching on a standard Bristol Monday would be murder (of course the real test for m3 will be in September when UWE are back).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
People talking tripe on a phone in...Who’d have thought it. Same with the BP comments page and those who still don’t understand that the total cost includes lots of new roads :rolleyes:

Half term is exactly the time to do it when overall traffic is lower and fewer commuters are impacted by changes.

freetoview33

Established Member
What I don't get is the BP keep saying nothing will run over the Metrobus lanes on the South Bristol Link road for years, and I keeping thinking well the A1 will start running over it later this year.

carlberry

Established Member
What I don't get is the BP keep saying nothing will run over the Metrobus lanes on the South Bristol Link road for years, and I keeping thinking well the A1 will start running over it later this year.
The BP will repeat what they're told, the facts wont stop them! The A1 might use it however it wont actually provide a local service and nobody else will as it's unlikely to justify a supported service every other Tuesday (given that nothing ran across the fields involved before) however it's got to run at the full Metrobus spec before it can start. Of course the Councillors/MPs that are complaining about it not being there are not going to agree to subsidise a service just to move fresh air around every 10 minutes.

-Colly405-

Arriving at the centre with a few minutes to spare I saw an M3 leaving. However another then arrived (36801) so I assumed it was a previous one running late. However 36801 then ran off with 'Returning to depot' as a destination. 36805 then turned up and, 8 minutes late we're off.
I was on 36805 arriving in town at about 1240, and saw one leaving the Centre 'Returning to Depot' but it had passengers at the front upstairs.

I had boarded 36805 at the Science Park outbound - it went from being about 2 minutes late to about 15 late in the short time before I boarded it. A quick turn round at Emersons and it left 7 late, but didn't really regain any time on the run to the Centre. I did notice that it took an age to get from the Science Park to Emerald Park - joining the roundabout was v slow, and we stopped at red lights twice on the roundabout. Presumably the sequencing hasn't been amended...

quarella

Gave it a try today. Both directions ran about 10 minutes late but that wasn't a problem for me. It's new, it's free and the weather is good. I am not sure people will be so willing to walk to relatively remote bus stops in the depths of winter. Seemed a little odd to have the very nice little bus station in UWE and then a stop immediately outside. I was surprised by the lack of on board Passenger Information system.
The advertised end to end timing is only ten minutes quicker than the 48. I can see the P+R being popular but could be better placed than a tour of a housing estate still under construction. Didn't seem to be anything special but it has ticked the boxes. Name any public transport project after a 1980s hatchback and given it its own road.

Marcus Fryer

One week after the launch of the m3, and four more days of free travel, and the majority of the stops are still waiting for the installation of the ticket machines. Is there an issue with getting them to work? The one at UWE has been 'downloading the timetable' all week AFAIK.

Dai Corner

Established Member
One week after the launch of the m3, and four more days of free travel, and the majority of the stops are still waiting for the installation of the ticket machines. Is there an issue with getting them to work? The one at UWE has been 'downloading the timetable' all week AFAIK.

The longer it takes to get them working, them longer travel will be free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.