• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Metrobus

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlberry

Established Member
The afternoon's m3 service (3 buses needed with 7 liveried vehicles) was provided by one m3 liveried vehicle, the red metrobus spare and a first liveried gas bus!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jw

Can anyone advise if the Bristol Parkway/Airfield/Cribbs extension will operate as a only shuttle between Cribbs and Parkway Station, or will it carry on to the centre and Hengrove, in effect giving the north end of M1 two routes to Cribbs?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can anyone advise if the Bristol Parkway/Airfield/Cribbs extension will operate as a only shuttle between Cribbs and Parkway Station, or will it carry on to the centre and Hengrove, in effect giving the north end of M1 two routes to Cribbs?

Good question - the link provided seems to be more civil engineering based than bus operations focused.

My gut feeling is it will be the latter of your suggestions. A 10 min service up to UWE and then a divergence with half running the current route and the others via the new route.

freetoview33

Established Member
Good question - the link provided seems to be more civil engineering based than bus operations focused.

My gut feeling is it will be the latter of your suggestions. A 10 min service up to UWE and then a divergence with half running the current route and the others via the new route.
That was my theory too. But wait for the sadly people complain about a frequency cut.

Marcus Fryer

Yeah - I guess that they could always have 15 min frequencies combining at UWE to form a 7/8 min frequency into town if the developers also provide some s106 money to pump prime it?
Wasn't it originally proposed as a Cribbs Causeway-Bristol Parkway-Emersons Green link?

freetoview33

Established Member
What was originally planned was as follows:
X47: Long Ashton P&R to Temple Meads. Every 5 minutes peak and 10 minutes off peak (became the lower frequency M2)
SBL: Temple Meads to Hengrove (via Long Ashton) every 20 minutes. (Hasn't happened ... Yet.)
X90: Cribbs Causeway to Hengrove every 10 minutes. (Became the M1)
X91: Bristol Parkway to Lyde Green (via U.W.E) every 20 mins (partially as the M3)
X93: Lyde Green to Hengrove (avoiding U.W.E) (partially as the M3X) every 20 minutes

Then there was version 2 which changed the Northern services to:

X90: Cribbs Causeway to Hengrove every 10 minutes. (Became the M1)
X91: Bristol Parkway to City Centre (via U.W.E) every 20 mins (partially as the M3)
X92: Lyde Green to City Centre (Via U.W.E) every 20 minutes (became the M3)
X93: Lyde Green to Hengrove (avoiding U.W.E) (partially as the M3X)

martyjon

Indeed it was but I just don’t see that coming back to the table.

You'd be surprised at how many arrive at Parkway for a bus to the Science Park and National Composite Centre and Emerald Park Business Park which houses the NHS Treatment Centre. Many a time I have directed persons to the customer service desk in Sainsbury's at Emerson Green who will phone a taxi to take people to the NHS establishment.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
You'd be surprised at how many arrive at Parkway for a bus to the Science Park and National Composite Centre and Emerald Park Business Park which houses the NHS Treatment Centre. Many a time I have directed persons to the customer service desk in Sainsbury's at Emerson Green who will phone a taxi to take people to the NHS establishment.

However, not enough for the 18....

-Colly405-

However, not enough for the 18....
The 18 was an interesting case. From experience it was usually well patronised especially in the peaks, but it was simply too unreliable. I well remember seeing morning peak journeys through Filton fill and standing running 30 late on days when the traffic was good...

freetoview33

Established Member
The better thing about the 18 compared to the proposed service is it did serve more places.

The question is what demand is greater Cribbs Causeway - Bristol Parkway - U.W.E - Emersons Green or Southmead Hospital - Bristol Parkway - U.W.E - Emersons Green?

freetoview33

Established Member
The better thing about the 18 compared to the proposed service is it did serve more places.

The question is what demand is greater Cribbs Causeway - Bristol Parkway - U.W.E - Emersons Green or Southmead Hospital - Bristol Parkway - U.W.E - Emersons Green?
Obviously if the original plan went ahead for the new M4 J18A to connect to the Ring Road at The Rosary Roundabout (Sainsburys/Lyde Green) with a bigger Park & Ride there. The demand "Might" be there for both, as it would catch many people coming from Swindon/London ect. As well as Yate (Via the proposed link road)

I don't think either of the two current plans will work great though.

A) The Junction at the A432, as it's too close to the M32 and could cause severe delays in the event of traffic, also as I believe the Park & Ride would be more aimed at Yate traffic rather than M4 traffic, hence another Park & Ride on the M32 (Or as it might become the A4032), would there be demand for all 3 sites?!

B) The Parkfield junction would be too far out adding journey times and making it pointless to have a Park & Ride on as there would be no time benefit over the M32/A4032.

-Colly405-

Based on the usage of the Y6, I would say definitely Cribbs. The vast majority of those onboard alight at Cribbs with only a few continuing on to Southmead.

Marcus Fryer

The bridge at Gipsy Patch Lane is supposed to be demolished and replaced by the new structure starting last Saturday and through to next weekend, but walked through there this afternoon and there was no sign of activity. Has the work been postponed due to the covid-19 restrictions?

swifty

Established Member
The bridge at Gipsy Patch Lane is supposed to be demolished and replaced by the new structure starting last Saturday and through to next weekend, but walked through there this afternoon and there was no sign of activity. Has the work been postponed due to the covid-19 restrictions?

I thought it was widely publicised it has been postponed until a suitable date, ideally later this year, can be found.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes - there should have been 150 personnel on site but there’s no way you can perform effective social distancing so deferred to later in the year.

Marcus Fryer

I thought it was widely publicised it has been postponed until a suitable date, ideally later this year, can be found.
Thanks - I checked the South Glos council website, but didn't see they'd posted an update on Facebook.

Marcus Fryer

Work is due to start soon on upgrading the two bus stops on Hatchet Road in Stoke Gifford either side of the Sandringham Road roundabout to MetroBus specification.
Meanwhile the bridge move on Gypsy Patch Lane is now going to take place over a 13-day period from 24 October. Then the road will remain closed for lowering until approximately July 2021. Then work will start on creating the new bus lanes along Gypsy Patch Lane - August 2021 for nine months (west side) and October 2021 (after the nesting season) for 14 months, so finish December 2022.
So unless they run through Little Stoke/Brook Way we won't see MetroBus using the new bus stops at Parkway station/Stoke Gifford (or the existing ones at Parkway North) for some time yet.

Marcus Fryer

The Gipsy Bridge Lane bridge move took place at the end of October, but didn't go exactly to plan as the bridge got stuck in the mud and the move overran by two weeks. The best report can be found on the Stoke Gifford Journal website.

Work at the two Stoke Gifford bus stops to extend the platforms, provide new paving and install the connections needed for the metrobus iPoints and CCTV has been completed, but the new shelters have been delayed as a reaction of Covid-19 disrupting the supply chain.

New metrobus shelters have been erected at Bristol Parkway (Stops A and B). Presumably the 19 and Y6 will revert to stopping at Stop A once the stops are reopened.

-Colly405-

The Gipsy Bridge Lane bridge move took place at the end of October, but didn't go exactly to plan as the bridge got stuck in the mud and the move overran by two weeks. The best report can be found on the Stoke Gifford Journal website.

Work at the two Stoke Gifford bus stops to extend the platforms, provide new paving and install the connections needed for the metrobus iPoints and CCTV has been completed, but the new shelters have been delayed as a reaction of Covid-19 disrupting the supply chain.

New metrobus shelters have been erected at Bristol Parkway (Stops A and B). Presumably the 19 and Y6 will revert to stopping at Stop A once the stops are reopened.
The eastbound 19 and Y6 will be using Stop D once it is in place, i.e. not having to use the turning circle.
A is to be the one *furthest* from the station building, apparently, with stop C being the one closest to the building in the turning circle.
Can't remember where I saw this though...

Marcus Fryer

The bus shelters at Bristol Parkway have been completed for a couple of months now. No iPoints have been placed next to the stops (yet?), but one has been installed in the area between the station entrance and the multi-storey car park.
The new shelter at Stoke Gifford northbound (Ratcliffe Drive) has been installed.
Work has begun on Gipsy Patch Lane (Little Stoke), upgrading the stops at Bush Avenue to Metrobus standard. Gipsy Patch Lane westbound carriageway has been closed as a result.

Last edited:

-Colly405-

The bus shelters at Bristol Parkway have been completed for a couple of months now. No iPoints have been placed next to the stops (yet?), but one has been installed in the area between the station entrance and the multi-storey car park.
The new shelter at Stoke Gifford northbound (Ratcliffe Drive) has been installed.
Work has begun on Gipsy Patch Lane (Little Stoke), upgrading the stops at Bush Avenue to Metrobus standard. Gipsy Patch Lane westbound carriageway has been closed as a result.
Have you also noticed that at Parkway, there are 4 shelters - the eastbound one and what looks like the metrobus westbound (D and C) ones have bum-perches instead of seats, yet the other two westbound ones (A and B) have proper seats.
The Parkway iPoint is also unbranded, similar lyto the ones at Parkway North P&R. Whether branding will come when metrobus comes...?

freetoview33

Established Member
Have you also noticed that at Parkway, there are 4 shelters - the eastbound one and what looks like the metrobus westbound (D and C) ones have bum-perches instead of seats, yet the other two westbound ones (A and B) have proper seats.
The Parkway iPoint is also unbranded, similar lyto the ones at Parkway North P&R. Whether branding will come when metrobus comes...?
Very interesting. Still a massive improvement to the previous situation at Parkway, hopefully I should get back there soon.

-Colly405-

Just to add to previous posts on the bus stops at Bristol Parkway,
Stops A and B (the furthest two of the three backing onto the railway) have bus stop letters stuck on the side panes of glass (facing you as you walk from the station), whch are white reflective with the letters in GWR Green. The shelters are 6 panes of glass long, and the seating is in GWR green.
Stops C and D (the first of the batch of three, and the solo one heading East) have the letters as metrobus red on reflective white, and the "perches" (no seats) are metrobus red. These are 10 panes of glass long.

Current in-use stops are new stop D and temporary stops A and B. New stops A, B and C are still officially not in use. This to the extent that earlier this week I saw a Stagecoach decker waiting time at new C (timetabled for a 5 minute wait there), and a prospective passenger with limited mobility and a fair amount of luggage struggled up the incline from the temporary stops to the bus only to be told by the driver (sitting in the cab with passenger door open) that he didn't pick up there, so he told her to walk back down the incline and wait for him there...

Marcus Fryer

Just to add to previous posts on the bus stops at Bristol Parkway,
Stops A and B (the furthest two of the three backing onto the railway) have bus stop letters stuck on the side panes of glass (facing you as you walk from the station), whch are white reflective with the letters in GWR Green. The shelters are 6 panes of glass long, and the seating is in GWR green.
Stops C and D (the first of the batch of three, and the solo one heading East) have the letters as metrobus red on reflective white, and the "perches" (no seats) are metrobus red. These are 10 panes of glass long.

Current in-use stops are new stop D and temporary stops A and B. New stops A, B and C are still officially not in use. This to the extent that earlier this week I saw a Stagecoach decker waiting time at new C (timetabled for a 5 minute wait there), and a prospective passenger with limited mobility and a fair amount of luggage struggled up the incline from the temporary stops to the bus only to be told by the driver (sitting in the cab with passenger door open) that he didn't pick up there, so he told her to walk back down the incline and wait for him there...
To be fair to the majority of Stagecoach drivers, if they are waiting time at stop A they will let me and other passengers board there rather than at the temporary stops. As the shelters have now been erected, I’m surprised the temporary stops are still in use.

-Colly405-

I think the temporary stops are still in use because of something related to electrics - there was a lot of work going on at new A and new B mid-last week with seating removed, paving dug up, and what looked like electric cables being moved around.

-Colly405-

The not-yet-branded-for-metrobus iPoint at Parkway seems to think the new stops are in use, even though the stops actually being used are Temporary A, Temporary B and New D.

Departures on the iPoint are showing as:
A (green fittings) - 10/11 southbound
B (green fittings - everything turning right at the bottom of the approach ramp
C (red fittings) - 73 southbound
D (red fittings) - everything leaving the station via Hunts Ground Rd

Marcus Fryer

New stops are being constructed between Harry Stoke and Great Stoke just north of Hambrook Lane, presumably for use by the m1, T1 and 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.