Bristol Parkway to Plymouth

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by cs203barney, 13 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cs203barney

cs203barney Member

Please advise on cheapest return journey price from Bristol Parkway to Plymouth on Saturday 19th September arriving Plymouth before 12pm and then leaving Plymouth after 18:00pm return to Bristol Parkway.

If you can advise on splitting the tickets to save more money I would appreciate.

ie; Bristol to Taunton, Taunton to Exeter and Exeter to Plymouth and return.

Journey is based on 3 x adults travelling.

Kind Regards,

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. FenMan

FenMan Member

Splitting at Taunton reduces the price per person from £56 to £31.20. The XC direct services you would use call there. This is cheaper than purchasing a combination of XC Advances.

If you avoid XC and use FGW throughout (at the cost of fewer services and extended journey times) then buying Groupsave 3 tickets should save 1/3 of the price i.e. the cost would be approx. £20.80 per person.

I say should as NRE isn't showing the discount, however there are no published Groupsave restrictions for this route on 19 September.

4. Romilly

Romilly Established Member

Presumably the OP is planning to go to the Plymouth v Bristol match.

Groupsave 3 is available only on First Great Western services. With Groupsave 3, the Bristol Parkway to Taunton returns would be £25.35 (i.e. £8.45 per person), and the Taunton to Plymouth returns would be £36.45 (i.e. £12.15 per person): total £20.60 per person.

But this limits the trains that can be used. The best itinerary for these prices would be:

Bristol Parkway 0820
    Bristol Temple Meads 0834

Bristol TM 0918
    Plymouth 1120 (calls Taunton at 0952)

Plymouth 1942
    Bristol TM 2147 (calls Taunton at 2112/2114)

Bristol TM 2206
    Bristol Parkway 2231 (this is by FGW bus going to Yate)

To get these options to show using the FGW site, first search for tickets for the journey in the ordinary way, then click on "Show me", then "Slower trains", then "First Great Western only"

5. jkdd77

jkdd77 Member

I'm sure yorkie will be along in a minute to remind us that NRCoC Condition 10 provides that any such TOC restriction must be shown on the ticket! ;)

6. bb21

bb21 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

I would not advise ticket novices to get into such potential arguments if reasonable alternatives exist, especially if the restriction is advised on the departure boards, or advised at the time of purchase.

Meanwhile for us more experienced fare bods...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.