• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol TM - Are platforms 2 and the unumbered platform next to it ever used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Butler

The title says it all really.

I just went through Bristol TM and platform 2 and the south west facing bay seem pretty derelict. I couldn't even see number boards. Are they ever used ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ooo

Platform 1 is often used for Severn Beach Line trains. I've never seen passenger services from platform 2 just trains being stored there

Dai Corner

Established Member
Platform 1 is the North / East facing bay and is frequently used by Severn Beach trains as ooo says.

I've never known Platform 2 used by passengers in the forty years I've been using the station.

Crossover

Established Member
I have used p1 recently (over the summer) for services to (and from) Severn Beach. The station plan appears not to show p2 as an active platform

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Platform 1 is at the opposite end (Eastern) of the station to Platform 2 and is used for many of the Severn Beach Line services and often used for other services that may reverse at Bristol TM or Stabling for a spell before working a starter, i.e 2117 Bristol TM to Cardiff as an example. Class 220 (4 Car Voyagers) use it on occasions.
Platform 2, (at the West End) is not signalled for passenger use and is used to stable units there. There are two Bay Lines there, the other one un-numbered and they previously saw Motorail Van use and as a Mail Van stabling point prior to Mail leaving Rail.

pdeaves

Established Member
Platform 2 is not signalled to passenger standards but is regularly used to stable units (not Turbos, though, as it isn't cleared for them).

Edit: Ha, PHILIPE pipped me to the post!

Chris Butler

Thanks all. Yes, I meant platform 2 and the one next to it. Sorry for wasting time with the "Platform 1" red herring.

JN114

Established Member
The line next to “Platform 2” is the Motorail dock.

Platform 2 lost a facing connection to the mainlines west of the station in the late 1960s - to get in and out of 2 or the Motorail nowadays trains must first shunt forward into Pyle Hill sidings then change ends and enter the main station.

That’s not to say the odd buffer-licker charter hasn’t used either under controlled conditions; but it won’t see use by ordinary passenger trains.

HowardGWR

Established Member

Platform 2 lost a facing connection to the mainlines west of the station in the late 1960s - to get in and out of 2 or the Motorail nowadays trains must first shunt forward into Pyle Hill sidings then change ends and enter the main station.

That’s not to say the odd buffer-licker charter hasn’t used either under controlled conditions; but it won’t see use by ordinary passenger trains.
It used to be a good terminating platform for Portishead trains, but I believe these are now due to go through TM when the service eventually starts (if ever).

geoffk

Established Member
It used to be a good terminating platform for Portishead trains, but I believe these are now due to go through TM when the service eventually starts (if ever).
I remember the GWR railcars on the Portishead service terminating in what was then called platform 11.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
At Temple Meads most of the through platforms have two numbers. All the odd numbers are at the London end and all the even numbers at the Penzance end - until recently the number displayed on the signal route indicator would tell the driver whether they could go right through to the far platform or had to stop half way. So 2 would never have been used for an east end platform since the platforms were re-numbered with the last big re-signalling, and it sounds like the layout changes at the same time may have made it unuseable as a passenger platform. Is there actually a number 2 displayed anywhere? The far island is only long enough for one train so, for similar reasons, 14 is also omitted.

Dai Corner

Established Member
At Temple Meads most of the through platforms have two numbers. All the odd numbers are at the London end and all the even numbers at the Penzance end - until recently the number displayed on the signal route indicator would tell the driver whether they could go right through to the far platform or had to stop half way. So 2 would never have been used for an east end platform since the platforms were re-numbered with the last big re-signalling, and it sounds like the layout changes at the same time may have made it unuseable as a passenger platform. Is there actually a number 2 displayed anywhere? The far island is only long enough for one train so, for similar reasons, 14 is also omitted.

Here's an oldish picture showing a Platform 2 sign.

https://goo.gl/images/kwiQDX

Platform 13 is an East end Bay with no track leading West (hence no platform 14)

Platform 15 is accessible from both ends and has two signalling berths though there is no Platform 16.

See this screenshot from Traksy

Attachments

• 7F8713EA-5CD2-4311-8F3A-87485D44F4A5.png
    7F8713EA-5CD2-4311-8F3A-87485D44F4A5.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 107

TheEdge

Established Member

Has there never been any incentive to put it back in?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I seem to remember that the good citizens of Titfield used the Milk Dock near to Platform 2 to terminate their service. At one point in the film the entire passenger load could be seen alighting even before the train had come to a stand.

Hellzapoppin

It’s known locally as the Fish dock although I do have a distant recollection of seeing flowers being unloaded there.

Parallel

Established Member
Platform 2 is fitted with a CIS board which is rather random. If Portishead trains ever get the go-ahead then maybe platform 2 would be ideal for any services due to terminate at Temple Meads from the west.

Platform 1 is mainly Avonmouth/Severn Beach as has been said but occasionally Cardiff/Gloucester/XC Voyager services also use it.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
Platform 1 is quite regularly used on Sundays to reverse Pompey-Cardiff trains. I used it 3 times over summer to Cardiff alone.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Platform 2 is not signalled to passenger standards but is regularly used to stable units (not Turbos, though, as it isn't cleared for them).

Edit: Ha, PHILIPE pipped me to the post!

How is it that 166201 is in Platform 2 now unless it has moved away recently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.