• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Exeter and FGW first class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Hey guys, booked on the 21:56 Bristol to Exeter St D. next tuesday (29th) and then Exeter St D. to Bristol at 13:25 on the friday (1st June), never been that way or really on sprinters much or pacers at all, so with an hour and a half service each way I'm aiming to settle back and enjoy myself, does anyone know firstly how busy they'll be? My guess is the tuesday one will be dead once out of the Bristol suburbs and secondly, what they'll be formed of?

I'm first class on the same friday from Bristol to Paddington (15:30) what is FGW first class like? Any reviews?

Thanks in advance for any help or answers offered :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lemonic

The Bristol-Exeter train will probably be formed of a Class 150/153 (though could be Class 158).
The Exeter-Bristol train is booked for a CrossCountry HST.
No idea how busy they'll be, sorry!

I have been in First Class on a FGW HST and you get leather seats and served light refreshments at your seat (on weekdays). I liked it.

CC 72100

Established Member
The XC one - I think you'd get a seat pretty easily on that, especially if you stand away from the stairs/pumpkin cafe on platform 5 at the leading end of the platform, where coaches F and G (quiet) will be. You may be the only one to use those doors, so getting a seat shouldn't be too difficult. XC HSTs normally have 1st class at the Plymouth end of the train.

Ivo

Established Member
FGW First Class is not great in comparison to EC/MML/VT, but it's certainly worth it. The seats are very comfortable (if the reclining mechanism actually works <(), you are served at your seat as aleksander says (weekends/evenings - go to the Buffet), and sometimes you receive a free copy of The Times too.

MCR247

Established Member
FGW First Class is not great in comparison to EC/MML/VT,

The offering is pretty much the same on EMT without the travelling chef etc and at least on FGW you get a decent refurbed train, not some HST thats got new seating covers!

NSE

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, never been on a HST (I know, sounds crazy :P ) and first class was cheap so just the one snack will keep me happy but I like the quiteness and comfy seats :D Looking forward to two trips on a 125, I hear most of you guys saying the FGW ones are best :)

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, never been on a HST (I know, sounds crazy :P ) and first class was cheap so just the one snack will keep me happy but I like the quiteness and comfy seats :D Looking forward to two trips on a 125, I hear most of you guys saying the FGW ones are best :)

I'm in the XC HST camp myself, but with FGW you're guaranteed that it'll be smart and clean...especially in first class ;)

NSE

Established Member
After a couple of experiences with Voyagers I tend to avoid them unless I'm joining them where they start their journey, so I've just realised I've switched EXD-BRI to a FGW local, so sadly missing out on the XC HST. Never mind, cheaper though :) (and an excuse for another day out).

CC 72100

Established Member
Is it the 13:33 by any chance that goes via Weston Super Mere? That's a mega goods value train. XC HSTs are pleasant, when they bother to do cleaning at the start of the journey that is <(

Ivo

Established Member
The offering is pretty much the same on EMT without the travelling chef etc and at least on FGW you get a decent refurbed train, not some HST thats got new seating covers!

I admit to having only done EMT once, and then on a 222. However, even though it was an evening train to London, the (hot :p) girls still came round about five times! If I accepted every complimentary they offered those alone would have been worth the £15.50 I paid...

Is it the 13:33 by any chance that goes via Weston Super Mere? That's a mega goods value train. XC HSTs are pleasant, when they bother to do cleaning at the start of the journey that is <(

Do XC even know the meaning of the word "clean"?

NSE

Established Member

Yah it is indeed. I'm hoping theres plenty of nice scenery, never been down there at all, nice to be able to tick off the Weston Super Mere loop. FGW local stock nice?

CC 72100

Established Member
Do XC even know the meaning of the word "clean"?

On the voyagers, no. They're looking a bit tatty in places. On the HSTs most of time, although is taking used coffee cups of tables too much to ask in a 30 minute turnaround? Depends whether you're with XC. <(

Ivo

Established Member
Yah it is indeed. I'm hoping theres plenty of nice scenery, never been down there at all, nice to be able to tick off the Weston Super Mere loop. FGW local stock nice?

If you get a 150/1 I wouldn't hold out much hope - but that's not exactly FGW's fault. Anything else should be fine. You may get a Pacer on locals around Exeter if that takes your fancy :p

CC 72100

Established Member

Ummm Open to interpretation. 153s are ok, for a pacer the 143s are fine (not that you'll get one on that service), 158s are nice (Although i'm a 158/159 fan), 150/2s actually scrub up quite nicely with the decent refurbishment FGW have given them and the table seats are a nice touch too.

Then you get the 150/1s. Misreable, dark, dingy, 3 +2 seating, tired. Do you get the impression that I don't like them very much? :roll:

NSE

Established Member
Ummm Open to interpretation. 153s are ok, for a pacer the 143s are fine (not that you'll get one on that service), 158s are nice (Although i'm a 158/159 fan), 150/2s actually scrub up quite nicely with the decent refurbishment FGW have given them and the table seats are a nice touch too.

Then you get the 150/1s. Misreable, dark, dingy, 3 +2 seating, tired. Do you get the impression that I don't like them very much? :roll:

Hehe I do, however, I'd quite like to get on one, just by the nature of the journeys I take, I'm usually only ever on the electrics of the UK railways. I'm also interested to take a pacer and make up my own mind on how bad they are haha.

TEW

Established Member
The 13:33 from Exeter to Bristol is booked for a three-car 150 hybrid, either 150121 or 150127. They have a 150/2 coach inserted in the middle but all carriages retain the horrible original 150 interior. The middle coaches have slightly more comfortable seats in my opinion, the outside coaches have just had new seat covers rather than new seat covers and reconditioned seats. If a three car 150 hybrid isn't available a three-car 158 is usually used instead and they are much more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.