• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol VR Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich McLean

Established Member
At RIAT at RAF Fairford this year, Bristol VR's were out in full force and providing shuttle services around the site last weekend. Did anyone else go. I was shocked to see them running around

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Whose were they then? Private owners? i don't think any of the big operators have reserve fleets of them lying around any more, do they?

sonic2009

Established Member
Could they of been Stagecoach ones? I saw some of them running around at the Cheltenham Races.

fgwrich

Established Member
Stagecoach does have at least one Bristol VR in preservation - JOU 160P. I think there may be a few others, although i think thats the only one, unless they were privately hired in?

sonic2009

Established Member
Stagecoach does have at least one Bristol VR in preservation - JOU 160P. I think there may be a few others, although i think thats the only one, unless they were privately hired in?

The Cheltenham management team love to show that bus off at the Gold Cup races every year.

fgwrich

Established Member
I should hope so, it used to be one of ours when Basingtoke had their 4 VRs. Oh the memories i have of them! :D

Was any of the Bristol Lodekkas there this year? As for the ex Stagecoach VRs - I can predict that at least one of them would have been EWS 74X W - Ex Stroud Valleys, Ex Stagecoach in Hampshire and yes, also ex Basingstoke!

Heres a few of the VRs at Fairford - Looks like an ex Southdown open topper too!

http://ndl642m.blogspot.co.uk/

Schnellzug

Established Member
I should hope so, it used to be one of ours when Basingtoke had their 4 VRs. Oh the memories i have of them! :D

Was any of the Bristol Lodekkas there this year? As for the ex Stagecoach VRs - I can predict that at least one of them would have been EWS 74X W - Ex Stroud Valleys, Ex Stagecoach in Hampshire and yes, also ex Basingstoke!

I don't know if it was the same one, but EWS 748W (originally Bristol 5540) was at the Weymouth running day in June:

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 15

83G/84D

Established Member
Could they of been Stagecoach ones? I saw some of them running around at the Cheltenham Races.

Most of the shuttle buses at Fairford were owned by Chepstow Classic Bus who stepped in at the last moment to cover for another operator who pulled out at short notice.Chepstow had operated the services in previous years.

Thanesdown and Stagecoach operated the shuttles from Fairford to Swindon and other air crew buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.