• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britain’s relationship with the EU post Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I love how they might have to call on the private sector to help. Who we gonna call? Trawlerbusters……???

Honestly this is just an example of what a set of buffoons our government has become. I'm starting to hope that Trump does win in November, that way we can avoid the joint awards of Earth Laughing Stock & Most Ineffective Banana Republic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Kelford

But then in the core US Republican world, coronavirus is a democratic party conspiracy and doesn't need any special handling or attention.
Yes, 'Sleepy Joe' and 'Comrade Sanders' have definitely managed to convince the world to dance to their tune.

It isn't just a conflict. The EU has made it clear that lowering our standards is a complete and total red line for getting a deal with them. And the US has made it clear that we have to lower our standards to get a deal with them.

So it's one or the other, no chance of both.
Or neither? I suppose that many African countries don't rely on either.

Good luck chasing a trawler with an 80,000 ton aircraft carrier sans aircraft.
What on earth will one of these:
1920px-CARIBBEAN_SEA_%28Sept._28%2C_2012%29_The_Royal_Navy_destroyer_HMS_Dauntless_%28D-33%29_passes_the_UNITAS_flagship.jpg

do to these:

oceanos-2.JPG

Oh...erm...right... embarrass us with 'Soldiers persecute poor small businessmen trying to make a living'.

najaB

Veteran Member
It may well turn out to be neither, since the Americans have told us that (surprise, surprise) they want to get their deal done with the EU first.

Doppelganger

And of course Africa is poor with a GDP across the whole continent less than that of France. The UK aren't going to be selling insurance and banking services to some bod in Nairobi and the UK certainly won't be importing fresh food and vegetables over those distances.

The UK is screwed and come 2021 when WTO kicks in, it will be clear to all that this was the game plan all along...

najaB

Veteran Member
The UK aren't going to be selling insurance and banking services to some bod in Nairobi and the UK certainly won't be importing fresh food and vegetables over those distances.
While I get the sentiment, we do import a fair amount of food from Kenya.

Doppelganger

While I get the sentiment, we do import a fair amount of food from Kenya.
It was the export of services I was really referring to as that makes up the bulk of the UK economy.

Imports from Kenya might be classed as foodstuffs, but isn't it mainly coffee?

alex397

Established Member
The UK is screwed and come 2021 when WTO kicks in, it will be clear to all that this was the game plan all along...

Sadly, I don't think it will be clear to all. This whole mess certainly has highlighted how people will just believe what they want to believe, regardless of any facts.

Maybe its too much to say we will be 'screwed' but I certainly don't remain optimistic that Brexit will be bring any sort of benefits to the majority of people.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
In other words your business is a quarter of the size it once was.

Maybe Covid will give you something to make money out of?

I.e. sell dubious poor quality medicines at exorbitant prices à l'americaine?

I would say total sales are about 65% down on a normal year based on the previous five years before the current one.

I sell engineering solutions not the end products.

SteveP29

'UK Government rapidly increases investment in embarrassing all British citizens'

Good luck chasing a trawler with an 80,000 ton aircraft carrier sans aircraft.

Looking forward already to the pictures on the British state broadcaster of Spanish fishermen being held in handcuffs by the armed forces, like how Iraq et al paraded our RAF pilots after they'd been shot down.

You know, propaganda images that we used to take the p*ss out of and say we'd never treat people like that, images that show how smalltime we'd look

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Looking forward already to the pictures on the British state broadcaster of Spanish fishermen being held in handcuffs by the armed forces, like how Iraq et al paraded our RAF pilots after they'd been shot down.

You know, propaganda images that we used to take the p*ss out of and say we'd never treat people like that, images that show how smalltime we'd look

I'm trying to imagine who would be our equivalent of the Iraqi bloke who used to give the press conferences in his beret (with the Grecian 2000 hair)?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm trying to imagine who would be our equivalent of the Iraqi bloke who used to give the press conferences in his beret (with the Grecian 2000 hair)?
He was known as "Comical Ali". Looking at the current Cabinet, I would replace "hard to imagine" with "spoilt for choice".

Peter Kelford

Him?
1599px-Official_portrait_of_Michael_Gove_crop_1.jpg

This is his official parliament portrait by the way, the expression was not deliberately chosen by me but rather him. The word 'comical' kind of makes itself manifest.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've seen lot of herbs (e.g. basil) and some veg (e.g. asparagus).
And that's just in the cabinet.
From "Spitting Image" I think. Thatcher and cabinet in restaurant.
Thatch: I'll have the steak
Waiter: And the vegetables?
Thatch: They'll have steak too.

Senex

Established Member
He was known as "Comical Ali". Looking at the current Cabinet, I would replace "hard to imagine" with "spoilt for choice".
I thought it was the much more sinister "Chemical Ali".

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I thought it was the much more sinister "Chemical Ali".
Chemical Ali was Ali Hassan Al Majid, according to a quick search, and was behind chemical attacks on the Kurds. Comical Ali was the spokesman whose claims of Iraqi successes were literally ridiculous.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Because these things could still effect us. If the government sticks to the current set of food standards, that's fine. However if they cave in from US pressure during trade negotiations, that could leave us potentially more at risk from lower quality meat. Of course if it is correctly labelled then we have a conscious choice, but what's the betting that along with reduced food standards, a change in food labelling would be implemented so visibility was reduced.

Brexit, well at least the first move into the Working Agreement may now be a reality, that doesn't mean we have to lower our living standards just to make leavers feel like they are still "winning".

We have.

DerekC

Established Member
I see the latest from our UK negotiating geniuses is that we are not prepared to commit to staying in the European Convention on Human Rights. This brings into focus the thoroughly sneaky sentence in the 2019 Conservative Manifesto promising to "update the Human Rights Act". We now know exactly what that means. Somehow that puts the tin lid on this whole crappy Brexit affair. I used to live in a country that I could be proud of.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I see the latest from our UK negotiating geniuses is that we are not prepared to commit to staying in the European Convention on Human Rights. This brings into focus the thoroughly sneaky sentence in the 2019 Conservative Manifesto promising to "update the Human Rights Act". We now know exactly what that means. Somehow that puts the tin lid on this whole crappy Brexit affair. I used to live in a country that I could be proud of.

Lets be honest, blokes like Rees-Mogg wouldn't blink if we started sending children up chimneys again (so long as they aren't one if his own considerable brood).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51783580
The UK will leave the European aviation safety regulator after the Brexit transition period, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed.

He said UK membership of the European Aviation Safety Agency - responsible for certifying the airworthiness of planes - would end on 31 December.

He said the UK's Civil Aviation Authority would "bring expertise home".

But the owner of British Airways said the CAA lacked world-class knowledge and could not be ready in time.

Mr Shapps told Aviation Week much of the Cologne-based European Aviation Safety Agency's (EASA) expertise came from the UK and that a lot of its leaders were British.

He said the agency's powers would revert to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) "and the expertise will need to come home to do that, but we'll do it in a gradual way".
Another total waste of money that’s comes from these brexit fools.

Leaving the EU aviation safety regulations.

We can set our own up for approx £36m per annum more which will result in firms that follow the standards having to certify under both standards.

Apparently the DfT think we are some sort of slave nation if we dont have our own certification. Jesus help us this is fast becoming beyond the pale

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.